Up and coming events

Rob Ryan, Your Job, original papercut, courtesy of TAG Fine Arts

Rob Ryan

This November, internationally renowned artist Rob Ryan opens an exciting major exhibition of new paper cuts and screen prints. Displaying the whimsical beauty that we have all come to know and love, these new works capture the distinctive qualities of the evocative hand-crafted paper cut, drawing the viewer into Ryan’s world of romance.

The romance and enchanting images that Ryan creates lend themselves to creative collaborations in a variety of media, and a number of exciting partnerships will coincide with this Dover Street exhibition. Ryan’s paper cuts are illustrating Carol Ann Duffy’s new book, The Gift, published by Barefoot Books and will also be the focus of a new, exclusive limited edition Lulu Guinness Fan bag, to be launched at the exhibition in November.

He has created a detailed illustration of a London night sky which took over 40 hours to hand-embroider, incorporating hundreds of Swarovski crystals to portray the stars.

The back panel is embroidered with one of Rob’s romantic poems. This unique collaboration celebrates British heritage and the intricacy of design.

‘Rob Ryan: The Stars Shine All Day Too’ runs at the Air Gallery, London, Monday to Saturday throughout November.

Milt Kobayashi, titled ‘Drama’, courtesy of Bohemia Galleries

Milt Kobayashi

This month, York’s own Bohemia Galleries plays host to an internationally important exhibition of paintings by acclaimed artist Milt Kobayashi.

Kobayashi is a third generation Japanese-American from New York City. After receiving his B.A. in 1970 from the University of California, Los Angeles, Kobayashi began working as an illustrator. After returning to New York City, a casual visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art permanently altered Kobayashi’s artistic direction and prompted a career change.

There he saw Velazquez’s portrait ‘Juan de Paraja’. In Milt Kobayashi’s intimate, urban paintings, time stands still. Yet, the expressive narrative flows and ebbs with a rhythmic cadence of colour and the brevity of the artist’s brushstrokes. He distills the essence of a casual moment or a late-night mood to the point that the imagery itself engages the audience in an intriguing dialogue.

With merely a hint of detail and the simplicity of a single brushstroke, Kobayashi has perfected his fine art of subtlety.

Visit ‘The Alchemy of Colour’ at Bohemia Galleries One, Gillygate, until October 30.