Ones to Watch: Where are they now?

The Nouse Fashion team look back at where they got it right … and wrong

ART AGAINST KNIVES

Nouse reported: May 2009

Last time we looked, this commendable charity had just held an exhibition to raise money to fight knife crime. The starting point was the unprovoked stabbing of Oliver Hemsley, a Central St Martin’s student, who was left paralyzed from the waist down, and we noted that the charity had some “serious backing’’ from many top designers. The charity has gone from strength to strength, as a combination of shopping and giving has been created with the help of couturelab.com. Established designers such as Christopher Kane and L’Wren Scott have fused with new and exciting names like Erdem and Mary Katrantzou to create a collection, available online, with all proceeds going to AAK. They have certainly proved they are serious about raising money, but they remind us that it’s all about their original cause – as their website says, it’s “not all glam’’ and the creative directors have led many social initiatives, which aim to engage youths living in troubled areas. Check it out at www.artagainstknives.com and www.couturelab.com.

DESIGNER: JAMES LONG

Nouse reported: March 2008

Taking it back to Nouse’s earliest fashion pages of 2008, we described designer James Long as being able to “mobilise Gareth Pugh fanatics” and his first collection captured a “metagoth’’ look. Has Long, like many others before him, been a one collection wonder? Definitely not. Long has expanded, not just in terms of using new materials such as re-worked leather and knit, but he is now also stocked world-wide, with branches in Japan and Belgium. Additionally, Long seems to be forming a loving relationship with the first magazine to use his clothes, Dazed and Confused. He’s appeared three more times since we first reported, proving Long’s aesthetic and design philosophy: his S/S ‘11 is definitely worth a close look. Have a look at www.jameslonguk.com.

MODEL: ROSIE HUNTINGTON-WHITELEY

Nouse reported: May 2008

Models struggling to get campaigns: it’s been seen countless times, as well as models struggling to make themselves into household names. Longevity seems remote and catwalks are battlefields. Not in the case of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, now a household name. Reporting again in 2008, Nouse noted how she had ‘‘flourished’’ since being “poached’’ by Models 1. Now, even campaigns are beneath her, as she has replaced Megan Fox in the new Transformers film, to be released in 2011. Still, she proved that she is still the designer’s favourite, as Victoria’s Secret posted a video congratulating her on the role. Also, watch out for the new Pirelli Calender, as photographed by Terry Richardson.

AND WHERE WE GOT IT WRONG….

Nouse reported: May 2009

Sometimes even the greatest have to admit defeat, and arguably it is a challenge to predict a trend that will be successful – the translation between catwalk and high street can be erratic at best. An example in question would be our prediction that ruffles would be big for S/S 2009. Whilst it is always good to “indulge in your feminine state’’ – and Christopher Kane showed this to great effect – our past summer clothes either went one of two ways: minimalist, in keeping with the beige tones that are now populating the high street, or exotic, similar to Proenza Scholeur’s clashing animal prints and jelly shoes. Whilst ruffles have made recent appearances on the catwalks (check out Ralph Lauren and Dior), it is a trend that should be experimented with in small doses rather than a complete look. Still, we love ruffles on hats or massive pom-poms – step up Søren Bach, always a Nouse favourite.

All images credit style.com