MUSE: 26 October 2010

George Lowther

George Lowther

Never ones to leave a party without the appropriately dramatic exit, we saw no reason why this edition should be anything less than spectacular. Welcome to my last edition and the biggest MUSE in history. While the weight of the extra eight pages has fell heavily on our shoulders (and NOUSE’s budget), we do hope you think it was worth it.

The relationship between Editor, Deputy Editor and MUSE Editor is indescribable. We are each other’s biggest critics, but also strongest support. When we first took over, the doubt was palatable. We were the underdogs, we were inexperienced and, worst of all, we were girls. But we not only survived, we did bloody well. Here’s to us, we deserve it.

Liv, I genuinely couldn’t have done it without you. Your patience and attention to detail constantly amaze me. Thank you for your time, your support and, most of all, your unending faith. You so rarely get the acknowledgement you deserve. I am so grateful for your willingness to put yourself in the firing line, whether it was telling me I was out of line or berating a rogue section editor for the good of the magazine. Mia, I have loved watching you mature, both in journalism and in life, over the past year. I can’t believe that the shy 18-year-old who knew Nick Cave is now perfectly capable of making the magazine. Liv and I are so proud of you. We have every confidence you’ll do very well.

Second years: I have to admit that when you first joined the paper, I had my suspicions. Change is scary and uncertainty is worse. A year on, you have become my closest friends. Thank you for your research, your cut-outs and your enthusiasm. As elections approach, you’ll be nervous, but that is no bad thing. Have faith that we prepared you for the road ahead, whatever it may be. Be patient with the Macs and Quark. And the Freshers. Know we’ll always be here to offer advice and will try not to interfere. Promise. Good luck, guys. You’re ready.

And finally, to my housemates. There are few people who know quite what a toll this job can take, but you do and have often suffered alongside me. Thank you for always being on my side, even when I was wrong. For dealing with my tantrums, erratic bath times and food thieving. Considering the cleaning row this morning, I think my last edition could not have come soon enough. This paper is dedicated to you, whether you read it or not.