Stolen bicycles returned by police

Police initiatives to decrease student bike thefts have been a success. Photo credit: Peter Iveson

The successes of a recent police investigation, Operation Maelstrom, have helped to assuage student fears about bicycle thefts in York.

The operation is an ongoing police investigation which aims to target those involved in the handling of stolen property and similar crime. The project has been a success, as the police have already recovered over 200 items of stolen property in the last few months. The items in question include over 150 bicycles, laptops, and games consoles.

Justyn Hardcastle, a third-year Computer Science student, recently had his bicycle stolen from a security-coded car park near his home, despite using locks. Hardcastle stated that the police response was good: “I reported it on the 6th, and they visited me early morning on the 8th to confirm my statement. A PCSO visited a few hours later to say that they had arrested three people.”

Student Joshua Scott also had his bicycle stolen from the Sports Centre in February. “I reported it to the police, with no real hope of ever getting it back,” he told Nouse. “But, astonishingly, the police managed to find it, despite there being no tracking device or distinguishing features on the bike, and I got it back on Sunday.”

The items recovered during Operation Maelstrom can be viewed on the North Yorkshire Police’s Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/NorthYorkshirePolice).

Laura Borisovaite, YUSU Welfare Officer, stated: “Tips on how to protect your moveable property are on the University website.”