New Barbican arena renovation commences

SMG Europe Limited, which owns Leeds Arena and Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle, now own the Barbican. Photo credit: Sam Newsome

Renovation on the Barbican centre, an arts and entertainment centre in a close proximity to the University campus, is due to start this month.

The centre, which has been closed for over six years, is due for completion in April, and will provide the stage for over 350 events a year, including music concerts, classical performances, and sporting events such as boxing and snooker in a 1,500 seat hall.

Over £12 million is being invested in the project by the York Council, with the project being handled by SMG Europe Limited, one of the world’s largest and most successful entertainment venue operators who also include Leeds Arena, and the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle in their portfolio.

Lucy Thomas, a second-year student, stated that she was “impressed that such a big venue will be opening in York. Hopefully it will pull some bigger names to York, and liven up the music scene here, which would be nice”.

1. 26 Oct ’10 at 12:42 pm

Eleanor Habertie

‘The cente, which has been closed for over six years.’ That’s not correct. I attended a concert held their two years ago. The space has always been available it just hasn’t been properly managed.