‘SinneD’ event raises £6,700 for charity

Big D contained seven different areas which decorated campus to represent the seven deadly sins. Photo credit: George Lowther

The Big D committee have announced that this year’s event, ‘SinneD’, raised almost £7,000 for charity.

‘SinneD’, which was held in the last week of the Summer term, contained seven different areas, which were all decorated to encapsulate a specific ‘Deadly Sin’. Other attractions included a laser tent and an inflatable human football table, as well as performances from Chase & Status and Audiobully’s.

Around 1,400 students attended the festival style event, which also incorporated ‘Little D’, a traditional Victorian style fete, complete with games, food stalls, and society events and performances.

‘SinneD’ was principally organised by Emma Warren and Felicity Saunders, Derwent Vice-Chairs, who remarked on it’s atmosphere and success, stating how they were “really pleased with how it went”, describing the evening as “a crazy night at times, but definitely worth it”.

They continued to say that they were “really happy with the acts [they] booked and that [they] made a great profit for the charities”.

Saunders also commented on the positive reaction from all the students who attended, stating: “The feedback was really great and incredibly beneficial.

“The charities all support important causes and I am really pleased with how much money we have managed to raise.” The amount raised will be donated to EducAid, Hope House, RAG and The Ron Weir Memorial Fund, which were all suggested and voted for by the Big D 2010 committee.

EducAid is an international charity, providing the only free secondary schools for students in Sierra Leone. Hope House is an organisation based in Oswestry and Ty Gobaith in Conwy, which runs a hospice for terminally ill children. This year’s RAG charities, which are selected by the student body, will also benefit, as well as the Ron Weir Memorial Charity which honours the late Derwent College Provost.

Hustings for Derwent College’s new JCRC will be in Week Eight of this term.

1. Interestingly – RAG raised well over £20,000 last year.

Why is this less of a story than a Derwent event?