Up and coming events

One Flea Spare, courtesy of York Theatre Royal

One Flea Spare

“On the last day of their quarantine, a wealthy couple’s house is invaded by two strangers – a sailor and a girl who might not be what she seems. And so another month of quarantine begins.” Or so the synopsis of Naomi Wallace’s play ‘One Flea Spare’ says, which starts at York Theatre Royal this month. Presented by Red Dog Theatre Company, the play, set during the Black Plague, begins with William and Darcy Snelgrave. This well to do couple find themselves trapped in their own home with two very questionable strangers. Held captive under the watchful eye of Guardsman Kabe, the performance follows this motley crew of four through their month-long incarceration. Described as both an installation art piece and a performance piece, this is a must-see.

‘One Flea Spare’ runs between 21 and 22 October at York Theatre Royal, with student tickets priced at £7.

A magazine by Angus Fairhurst

Undone

Undone is a new exhibition of sculpture by some of the world’s leading contemporary artists and concerned with the ‘threshold between the made and unmade’.

Just a twenty minute train ride away, at the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds, the exhibition showcases hand-crafted works made using back to basics techniques  and features several artists represented by art world giant Sadie Cole.

Other big names include Tom Friedman, Jim Lambie and Eva Rothschild whose suspended sculpture Ashes from 2009, hangs from the ceiling like an exposed and ephemeral system of roots.

Admission to Undone at the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds is FREE until 2 January.

Image courtesy Sadie Coles HQ

The Fabric Works

This month, Swiss couple Iwan and Manuela Wirth launch a brand new space on London’s stylish Saville Row.

Opening with a show of fabric works by legendary artist Louise Bourgeois, who sadly passed away earlier this year. Curated by Germano Celant, ‘The Fabric Works’ is the first solo show of Bourgeois’ work to open since her death, contributing to extensive existing discourse concerning the material aspects of her practise.

On display are over seventy fabric drawings made between 2002 and 2008, as well as four large-scale sculptures. The exhibition will travel from the Fondazione Vedova, Venice to London for 15th October.

Louise Bourgois: The Fabric Words runs until 18 December 2010 at Hauser & Wirth, Savile Row, London.