MUSE: 12 October 2010

George Lowther

George Lowther

Welcome, first years to Nouse’s official Freshers’ Guide. We have toiled through the nights, burning the midnight oil and depriving ourselves of sunlight to ensure that you are as prepared as possible for the adventures to come. While most of you will know me as the slightly kooky (alright, odd) person who decided that you most certainly needed a poem to explain the delights of campus cusine, I am in fact the over-the-hill third year who is lucky enough to edit the beautiful magazine you are about to enjoy.

Never one to pass up an opportunity for nostalgia, I find myself reflecting on when I first arrived on this duck-infested campus. As is typical of people of my age, I feel it is important to impart some advice. Don’t let the concrete exterior faze you. I nearly cried when I first saw campus and I don’t even notice now. You will love some of the people you meet but they may not love you. This doesn’t matter. One of the downsides of having a University full of interesting and diverse people is that they may come with prejudices. While these may fade with time, the feeling that you compromised yourself for them will not. Your college doesn’t matter. Don’t get hung up about your educational background; you’re the only one who notices. Finally, enjoy yourself. Make mistakes. Join societies. Join Nouse.

To the old hats, welcome back. Whether the trip to York was filled with anticipation or longing for the summer past, you are here now so you might as well make the best of it. We are lucky enough to have an entire year stretching before us that is filled with possibilities. You only regret the things you don’t do, so get involved. Don’t get stuck in a rut – make new friends, take up new opportunities and perhaps even learn to cook (M8-9 shameless plug). I intend to.

Now: no worries if your TV licence hasn’t come through, try out the Ad-Lib M5, MUSE’s own de-Gansta shows us the edgy side of ballet M6-7, Evans discusses (campus) events M10, Surviving an internship or Lewinsky has a lot to answer for M11, we embark on a fruitless task M12-13, Terry Waite explains his story M14-15, Fashion Month explained M16-17 and a play-and-pay Food and Drink guide M23.