Tarrega hat-trick inspires easy York win in final pre-season friendly match

Star man Pete Tarrega runs in one of his three tries in Tuesday's victory over local side York. Image credit: Peter Iveson

The men’s firsts ended their pre-season campaign with a comfortable 36-17 victory over York Rugby Club seconds. On a mild evening, Tom Weir’s side were dominant but were perhaps guilty of taking their foot off the pedal as their opposition were allowed to cross the line for three tries of their own. Nevertheless, it was a positive performance from the side which is once again pushing for promotion this season.

Despite having lost some big players from the previous campaign there remains a good core of the team cruelly denied promotion last time out. Under the floodlights it was the uni side that started better and they didn’t take long to edge ahead; a fantastic run from Ed Drewett was followed by a nicely timed off-load that allowed Pete Tarrega to run in the first of his three tries. Scrum half Tom Bugge added the additional points from the conversion.

The second try was another exhibition in running rugby. A quick line-out was taken on the far touchline and reached winger Ben Turner, he found a nice line before offloading to Tarrega who once again touched down to extend Uni’s lead. So far it had been all Uni with the local side struggling to get into the game but a spell of concerted pressure saw James Mulroney force his way over to reduce arrears.

Some superb individual play from Tom Bugge then saw the scrum-half cross the whitewash point. Bugge, at the heart of so much that was good for Weir’s side, was unable on this occasion to add the additional two points. He did convert his next attempt after the pacey Adebiyi carved through York’s defence to score under the posts.

Despite being comfortably on top throughout the first half Uni allowed the home side to get back into the match. Firstly Mulroney powered over from close range once again before Andy Kay scored his side’s third try to make the score 26-17 at the interval. The visitors had definitely had the better of the half but York’s late rally proved the game was anything but over.

The second half was a much quieter affair, probably as a result of substitutions breaking up the flow of the game. Nevertheless Uni remained on top and never allowed their opposition an avenue back into the match. With time running out the away side bagged two more tries. Firstly another fine piece of backs’ play saw the ball go through various hands to find Tarrega who went over in the corner. Afterwards there was just time for a find counter-attacking try; camped on their own line Uni surged forward and when Adebiyi kicked on there was nobody quick enough to catch him so he wrapped up the game by making it 36-17.

It was a worthwhile fixture for Weir’s men and they will go into the new season full of confidence. The skipper was pleased with his team’s performance: “I thought the team performed very well in gaining a comfortable win against a tough and very physical opposition.” He will now be hoping his side can carry on their pre-season form going into the season proper against Leeds seconds on Wednesday.

York line-up

1. YRFC Player
2. Gregor Morris
3. Sam Hutt
4. Sam Carr-Archer
5. Will Forsythe
6. James Faktor
7. Rory McGregor
8. James Bennett
9. Tom Bugge
10. Matt Pollen
11. Ben Turner
12. Gabriel Adebiyi
13. Pete Tarrega
14. Rich Bremner
15. Ed Drewett