Shopping: independent York boutiques

York’s ethical boutique, One, on Grape Lane is a unique shopping experience of ethically sourced items…

ONE BOUTIQUE

York’s ethical boutique, One, on Grape Lane is a unique shopping experience of ethically sourced items.

This season’s collection includes dresses made from suits that have been altered carefully, so that they actually look fashionable rather than a GCSE project.

Ethical fashion is often discarded as undesirable, but here this is definitely not the case.

Also available is jewellery produced by women’s groups in Turkey, with proceeds going directly back to the community.

MANNIX MENSWEAR

Mannix Menswear is a classically British independent stockist of formal attire alongside casual pieces from brands such as Barbour, Lacoste, Paul & Shark and Duchamp. Founded in 1963, the store has now expanded to three shops situated on Lower Petergate. There are some surprisingly affordable staple pieces such as the winter jacket – a good one is the quilted hunting jacket, which is a popular style – so there is a wide selection to choose from. Unfortunately there is no student discount, but it’s worth forking out for.

WHISTLES

Surprisingly, not many people know that York has its very own Whistles, located centrally on Stonegate, just opposite Evil Eye. The shop oozes minimalist sophistication, and with parts of the new collection hitting the store every week, what’s not to love? Invest in camel coats, sheepskin flying jackets, well cut trousers, and cashmere soft silk shirts. And to top it all off, Whistles has just introduced a 10% student discount.

VINTAGE FASHION FAIR

Set in the rather rustic Hospitium in Museum Gardens, Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fair is a veritable treasure trove of dresses, jewellery and aging Barbour jackets to suit all tastes. With only a £1 entrance fee, you can browse to your hearts content for outrageous 80s ball gowns and eclectic Christmas jumpers, as well as more expensive collectable items. You never know what you will find, and could leave with anything from a new hat to a chipped teapot. Once you have finished, you can sit down to tea and cupcakes in their makeshift yet charming café. In York on 17th October, 10.30 – 16.30.