Praying for fairness

Since the University have introduced halal catering for Muslim students on campus, it seems unjust that Jewish believers do not have a counterpart in terms of catered services.

While any visible prejudice against a particular religious sect on campus would be – as in society at large – unacceptable, this newspaper feels that the University must be given some margin for ‘error’. It is true that there are only a certain amount of catering spaces available on campus, and since the religious restrictions of both sects mean that their foods most be prepared separately, there was obviously an executive decision made by Commercial Services: to provide the sect with the highest demand, with specific catering.

There was a higher demand for halal meats when kosher foods were also served on campus, and so appears to have been simply a utalitarian choice.

The inequality of this situation is not down to Commerical Services, but University bosses who have not taken into account that Muslim students will now have both specific prayer spaces as well as catering facilities, whilst Jewish students will have neither of these nor a public prayer space as there is no synagogue in the city centre either.