Diving into a commercial minefield

The news that this University is to build an £11m sports facility is most welcome. As a high ranking University, York must play host to adequate facilities if we are to attract the most desirable students. The University’s decision to spend funds on this project is a wise investment, however when the centre is complete they must not forget who they built it for.

The centre is to be open to the general public as well as students. When asked how much access York’s student’s will have to the centre, John Greenwood, Director of Facilities, said that “no limit [had been] agreed” as of yet.

This is a serious mistake on the part of the University. The University may see their investment in this new centre as an investment in future students but there is not doubt that they also view it as a commercial investment. With the centre to be open to the general public (who will be paying almost double the entry fees that students will pay), the University – in their haste to financially benefit from their investment – may forget that student interests must remain their priority.

Nouse urges the University to remember that the centre is being built for students and they must be the primary beneficiaries of this investment.