York nominated for ‘University of the Year’

York has been nominated for ‘University of the Year’, and ‘International Collaboration of the Year’, at this year’s Times Higher Education (THE) Awards.

There were almost 500 entries for the 2010 awards, which are now in their sixth year. York will compete against Birkbeck (University of London), Edge Hill University, Lancaster and Newcastle Universities in the ‘University of the Year’ category, which was won by Teeside University last year. The results will be announced at a ceremony in London on 25 November.

Speaking to Nouse, University Press Officer David Garner declined to speculate on York’s likelihood of winning their categories, but stated that the University are “extremely pleased to be shortlisted” and that they “look forward to hearing the results of the judges’ deliberations”.

Former ISA President Daria Pawlowska also commented on the ‘International Collaboration of the Year’ nomination, where York is competing against the University of Central Lancashire, Glasgow Caledonian University, King’s College London, the University of Huddersfield and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Pawlowska stated that over the past year “there have been many focus and work groups created by the university, YUSU and the ISA to note all the needs such a multicultural environment has, and to help future integration between home and international students”. She continued to say that those involved have been “putting lots of enthusiasm and dedication into” the projects, and that “although many changes can’t be seen yet”, she is sure that they will become increasingly noticeable in the coming years.

Pawlowska also expressed her hope that “the integration of the ISA with our Students’ Union will be carried out successfully till the end, and prove useful for further cooperation between different student services caring for the internationalization at the University of York.”

York St. John have also received a nomination, for ‘Most Improved Student Experience’.

1. Awards nominations galore for York Uni in the last couple of weeks then. Well done to them all.

2. “York St. John have also received a nomination, for ‘Most Improved Student Experience’.”

Have they banned firearms since last year ?

3. 28 Sep ’10 at 2:37 pm

Eleanor James

What does it even mean. Does anyone choose their uni based on this award. The shortlist is hardly a who’s-who of prestigious universities and you can bet if the prize is money the students won’t see a penny.
    All seems a bit pointless to me.

4. 28 Sep ’10 at 11:13 pm

Pedant's Note

Teesside.