University of York opens new £5m centre

The centre is part of the £500m expansion of the University of York’s Heslington campus. Image credit: John Houlihan

The University of York has opened its new £5 million Centre for Immunology and Infection (CII), as part of its continuing Heslington East expansion.

The CII will be used to help scientists develop drugs and vaccines for diseases including diabetes and HIV. The CII includes a suite for students to help with their studies, in addition to three floors of laboratories.

Brian Cantor, Vice-Chancellor of the University, said: “York is already in the vanguard of research into immunology and infectious diseases and these new facilities will further enhance our world-class research in this area.”

Principal contractor GB Building Solutions started work on the building in July 2009. It was officially opened by Dr Robert Ridley, director of the World Health Organisation’s Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases. The money was raised with a £1 million donation by The Wolfson Foundation, £3 million from the Higher Education Funding Council for England, and a further £1 million from The Holbeck Charitable Trust. This is in addition to funds from the University of York and the Hull York Medical School (HYMS), who have joined the University in combined ownership of the building.

One second-year HYMS student told Nouse that he hopes students will “get full access to the facilities” and that it will be of more student use than the recently opened Berrick Saul Building, near Vanbrugh College.

Professor Paul Kaye, the centre’s director, continued: “This new building will help to take our work to a new level. The CII represents what can be achieved by a seamless link between between biology and medicine, something rarely seen in long-established medical schools.”

1. This centre is as far away from Heslington East as you can get whilst still being on University owned ground….

2. A – it is on hes west
    B – berrick Saul is full of students, they just happen to be masters and phd students

3. “as part of its continuing Heslington East expansion”

Compass fail!
    Please use this for future reference: http://www.fiarcircle.com/downloads/lessons/nsew.jpg

4. Ambro and Laura Connor should hook up and pool their journalistic talents.

5. 14 Sep ’10 at 5:44 pm

Atilla the Hun

The building has been around for some time…

6. Despite the inconsistencies in the article, there’s a very blantant link between the Uni pumping money into Hes East/new centres, and our ratings going down. The focus that should be on students is switching to anything but – expansion/reputation etc.
    I do think this particular building is a good idea and a worthy investment because of the standing of York’s science departments, however, they really need to start thinking about why the ratings are going down at the same time as the fees are going up.
    Spending more money does not equate to a better university.

7. 15 Sep ’10 at 1:12 pm

Just so you know

The building is physically far away from Hes East, yes, but I think Laura is referring to the fact that it is part of the financial expansion of Hes East – if you read any of the national reportage of this, including the Beebs’, that is what has been written. The building has been built using the money for the expansion.

8. @ian
    Ratings: http://www.nouse.co.uk/2010/09/08/york-drops-down-100-top-universities-list/

but pretty sure, we’ve also dropped out of the UK top 10? Might be wrong.

9. The world rankins serve another master I think it is fair to sai and factor in things like sheer size. In terms of student satisfaction, post uni employment, and the Times rankings, York has held or improved consistently since a minor blip three or four years ago