Music in York: The Nouse Fresher’s Guide

So you’ve got into York. You probably got lots of A’s. Nice one. Be happy – it’s a respectable university, despite its duck shit and dystopian architecture that calls to mind low-budget 60’s sci-fi rather than a seat of learning

So you’ve got into York. You probably got lots of As. Nice one. Be happy – it’s a respectable university, despite its duck shit and dystopian architecture that calls to mind low-budget 60’s sci-fi rather than a seat of learning. It might not be Oxbridge, but it’s sometimes in the Top Ten. York itself, unlike the campus, is aesthetically very much in keeping with the antiquated idea of university life; a quiet, pretty little town brimming with museums, history, pubs and boutiques. It’s a bit like a real life Hogsmeade, and if you squint it could be Cambridge. Not the sort of place you’d imagine to be constantly alight with flaming guitar licks, all day/all night parties, pumping bass, leather trousers or any sort of vibrant music scene. And it isn’t. Really. It’s telling that the two biggest bands to emerge from the town are dire – Emma Watson-romancers One Night Only and T4 Unsigned winners, the upsettingly mediocre Hijack Oscar. But, while York’s music scene has been much lambasted over the years, if you know where to go or when things are happening, it can be very rewarding indeed. It just takes, as Gary Barlow once tenderly sang, a little patience. Before you prance off in search of the aural delights of York, it’s important to make some acquaintances with whom to prance with. No-one wants to be seen standing alone at a gig, pathetically pretending to text to make it look like they have friends to other members of the audience.

The best opportunity to meet some similarly musically-minded individuals will come at the end of the daunting, cringeworthy, inebriated, degrading assault on the senses that is Fresher’s Week. You younglings will be ushered into a mighty hall in the Physics building to choose some societies to join, many of which will rob you of the sweet pennies of your student loan and give you little in return. There are several music-based societies from which to assemble a motley crew, all varying drastically in quality. It all depends on your tastes really, although the options are slightly limited. The biggest music society on campus is Breakz, a dj collective who fundamentally cater to the drum & bass, dubstep (wub) techno and electro markets. York surprisingly has a fantastic electronic music scene, and Breakz are one of the principle reasons for this. As well as ushering top artists like Benga, Scratch Perverts, Chase & Status and Skream into York with their neon tractor beam, they throw the ‘best raves in town and on campus’ with their gang of resident djs. Student-organised clubnights like Idioteque, which hauled Joy Orbison into York this year, as well as sterling local artists such as Chalices of the Past solidify the university’s electronic reputation.

However, if you dislike the bitter taste of horse tranquilizers and waking up with your lips chewed off, there are alternatives. Indie Soc happily doesn’t focus on mainstream Kooks-Wombats twattishness – iconic ex-Chairs Eddie and Morten steered the society last year towards encompassing all elements of independent culture, from film to art – and the group generally have some of the broadest tastes on campus. Head towards their tepee at Fresher’s Fair to get the chance to be a part of a long promised Indie Rock Roller Disco (which I’m pencilled in to perform a dj set of pure warp-speed 80’s hardcore at). Fringe Soc is the closest thing the university has to a ‘Rock Soc’ – but focuses more on the metal side of things with its Asylum clubnight on a Tuesday. I like metal as much as the next longhair but I will state a warning. If you define metal as semi-operatic keyboard driven drivel a la Nightwish, or folk-influenced re-enactment Viking lols then this is the society for you. If, like me, you dig early Celtic Frost and Electric Wizard you might want to take your headbanging elsewhere. This is truly the domain of the full-length Neo trenchcoat and twelve sided dice. Band Soc draws a similar crowd, while Nouse legend Jim Bulley’s dastardly attempt to make York’s music scene even more cheesy – Cheesy Pop Soc – has, over the past year, rendered this writer gibbering and lactose intolerant. There are of course, plenty of orchestras and classical/jazz groups to get involved with, a Rockabilly group, Samba and Big Band, as well as the somewhat eccentric activities of the cultish Wholly Folk and Revolutionary Society – who may end up burning you in a Wicker Man should you deign to join.

Even if you’re allergic to nightclubs, you’ll soon be in one upon arrival to York, herded in by those shepherds of alcohol poisoning – the STYCs. While my dismay at the York club scene is well documented, it’s definitely worth a few nights of rolling in your own and others’ filth – what better way to break the (Smirnoff) ice with the flatmates? Clubs Salvation, Gallery, Tokyo and Ziggy’s are the four horsemen of the nightclub apocalypse. Salvation is probably the best (cheap drinks, unpretentious, karaoke on a Thursday), but it is more an educational experience than anything, a place where I have gently comforted a shellsuited stranger who had got a girl pregnant, and made great friends with a depressed taxi driver called Ian and his ketamine-addled 17 year old daughter. Beware though, if you value your sexual health, avoid Ziggy’s like the literal plague. That said, its dubstep and d&b nights are fairly savage, but possibly not quite savage enough to balance out the inevitable gonorrhoea. York’s most famous, hallowed hall of partying is no doubt the Willow. It is to clubbing what the Rocky Horror Show is to theatre. A cheese-fest disco in a decrepit Chinese restaurant, which doesn’t seem to have a food licence, it is without doubt one of the most ridiculous places available to humanity. A club where a bouncer won’t bat an eyelid at a crowdsurf, or a turd on the floor. A club in which prawn crackers are available for munching on the dancefloor. With its own merchandise range and a cult following, it’s the place to be after everywhere else has shut. A visit there cannot fail to end in broken glass, Bryan Adams, and tears of laughter.

For those into ‘serious’ clubbing, Leeds is twenty minutes and seven pounds away on the train. Big nights out aren’t its forte, but York does have a selection of underrated smaller clubnights. Regular nights are held at the two main venues, The Duchess and Fibbers. These range from legendary indie rock & roll hangout Up The Racket to new drum & bass/dubstep night Hit & Run. Being a garage freak, the acclaimed Revolutionary Freaked Out Fuzz Club is a joy to have on the doorstep. In various venues they put on psychedelic freakbeat nights of a quality rarely seen outside of London. The City Screen Basement and Dusk bar are often occupied with odd clubnights of myriad genres, from dub and reggae to gabba and happy hardcore. Look hard enough on Dusk’s poster-strewn walls and you’re sure find something to tickle your fancy, and you can quaff down on of their tasty Milkybar Kid cocktails while you’re at it. There’s a selection of other musically-minded bars – Stone Roses is constantly stuck in the mid-90s Britpop craze, while Stereo is home to a constant stream of clubnights and bands. Stereo pretty much personifies the York gig scene: hard-working, strangely busy and getting in the odd diamond act. Glasvegas, Times New Viking and Grammatics have all recently played, and, while it’s a tiny venue, it has the best atmosphere and friendliest staff in York. The Duchess and Fibbers are the two ‘big’ venues for gigs – inverted commas because by a normal city’s standards they’d be squats. Fibbers is currently having a lavish 250k refurb though, and both, for all their infinite supplies of tribute bands, every now and then get in someone like Foals, or (in decades past) Oasis.

You’ll probably want to calm down and relax after having your mind blitzed by the host of new friends, hangouts, venues and experiences that York provides. In this case head off to Evil Eye Lounge for an exotic Thai dish or a stinging cocktail. The bar is one of the hippest dens in town, with a tropical interior and intriguing clientele. Most importantly, it plays the best tunes in town while you eat and drink. Another way to wind down might be to pootle off into the cobbled streets and search out some records. For those seeking more adventurous climes than the air-conditioned consumer nightmare of HMV, head to one of York’s hard-to-find but rewarding record shops. While Rebound on Gillygate has a good selection and The Duchess often holds great record fairs, there’s two main options if you’re hankering for some vinyl. Attic Records is hidden away up a few flights of stairs near the market. As well as selling tickets to local gigs, it has eclectic, varied stock and a dedicated, ‘High Fidelity’ vibe. Around the corner on a Saturday and Sunday hunt out ‘Vinyl’ Phil on the market, who wields a rainbow of good-condition acetate with the option to part-exchange. Students often forget that the Minster holds a great deal of first-rate choral concerts and recitals, and what better way is there to soothe a hangover than to lie back against some cold stone to the soaring strains of ‘Miserere Mei Deus’? With such a concentration of religious buildings, it seems silly, even for heathens like myself, to ignore the banquet of devotional music provided. If – to the consternation of those around you – you harbour a love of musicals, you can check out the Theatre Royal or the Grand Opera House for the odd song and dance rolling through town. Lastly, the town plays host to a variety of small, quirky festivals throughout the year. The NCEM puts on the York Early Music Festival annually, a rare opportunity to investigate the more obscure music of the past, focusing on pre-18th century classical works. The DV8 festival also darkens York, a retro goth event that sells out the town’s hairspray, Snakebite and patchouli oil. After all, the place is a bit of a goth-spot with its gargoyles, graveyards, dungeons and ghosts, and The Sisters Of Mercy played their first gig in Vanbrugh College. The York Spring Festival of New Music is another classical showcase, while rather obviously the Leeds Festival is just down the road in August.

York, then, is a mixed bag for music fans. If it’s an epic, widescreen night out you’re after, you’ll want to invest in a railcard. Or just get a dozen pills off the bloke down the Stonebow car park and head to Reflex, an 80’s theme bar with a revolving dancefloor. Similarly, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and Stevie Wonder seem to leave the town off the tour map, so if you want huge names don’t get your hopes up. Happily, Leeds has, in my opinion, the best music scene in the North, and is constantly awash with brilliant acts. It also feels great to experience the bright lights and then return home from its grimy alleys to cosiness and small town comfort. York will stop you hopping on that train a lot of the time, though, with its broad selection of bustling smaller venues and bars, where a preposterously friendly bunch of people work tirelessly to keep the tunes pumping. The scene is so tight that you’ll soon get to know loads of like-minded folks, and the university’s multifarious societies provide all the support you’ll need should you want to get involved, book a band or even cook up your own clubnight. For all the thrills and spills of bigger cities, nothing quite beats being down at the shithole that is Ziggy’s, jumping up and down in a sweaty crowd made up of all your friends, to an improbably great act someone’s booked who for all intents and purposes should be somewhere far cooler.

1. “Clubs Salvation, Gallery, Tokyo and Ziggy’s are the four horsemen of the nightclub apocalypse” haha classic!

2. 12 Sep ’10 at 5:07 pm

Janny Chollen

lolz yeah that IS SO TRUE

3. What an entertaining and well-written article!

4. I have sticky floors but my tequila shots are one pound. Classy and financially convenient.

5. I must echo the comment above in thanks for a well written and also inclusive article.

However, although you have included many of the various societies, clubs, venues, etc., I have found your article to be somewhat unfair towards the more alternative cultures.

I’m not even a member of The Fringe, but I found your remarks about their music tastes and fashion somewhat offensive. Not everyone may like Nightwish or Turisas, but please let people make up their own minds about a society instead of making them all out to be D&D playing recluses.

As for your comments on the Wholly Folk and Revolutionary Society, I have to say the use of the word “cultish” is not appreciated. The society is one of the most welcoming and friendly societies you are ever likely to meet. They do like to have fires and sing somewhat strange songs occasionally, but have yet to start burning effigies.

Finally, The Willow. Yes it only just about passes health and safety, but that’s its charm. It is a love or hate place, but again, let people make their own decision before you turn them away from it with bad press. I have to agree with the comment made by “The Willow” in this case.

6. If you don’t find you like a society after paying the money, there’s a good reason to learn not to pay the money until you know you’re going to like it.

In fact, that’s generally good advice: sign up to as many mailing lists as possible and go along to loads of socs in the first couple of weeks, but only pay for the ones you know for a fact that you’re going to like and keep coming to. Nobody forced you to pay the £4, which, when you actually think about it, isn’t much of a blemish on your student loan.

7. As a member of the Fringe with a hatred of both symphonic and folk metal who still manages to find much in common with many other members musically, I suspect you haven’t given them a fair chance. As for your bashing of several other societies which I have found to be very friendly and welcoming I’m beginning to suspect you haven’t even attempted with any of them

8. as a cliquey social recluse with a penchant for attacking straw men I must say your article has been most helpful. Come this fresher’s fair I will be queueing up to let Nouse rob the sweet pennies of my student loan in exchange for the privilege of letting me write for them.

9. @Anon – ‘A visit there cannot fail to end in broken glass, Bryan Adams, and tears of laughter’ isn’t exactly bad press for The Willow. And i wouldn’t get too upset about the criticism of ‘alternative’ societies, it could have been a lot worse

10. You article is incredibly negative. There are very few societies or clubs that you haven’t bad-mouthed in some way or another. However, I do feel that Mr Killingbeck should actually do some of his own research into these societies, and actually get to know some of its members before he forms an opinion.

My main issue is with his comment about Wholly Folk. His description of the group as “eccentric” and “cultish” makes Wholly Folk out to be an exclusive society of people who don’t want new people joining. Nothing could be further from the truth. Wholly Folk welcomes anyone and everyone regardless of who they are and I struggle to think of a nicer, friendlier bunch of people on campus. Before you jump to conclusions about Wholly Folk, might I remind you that three of its members, including founding member Sean O’Brien were in the 2010 Top 50, and that your description of Wholly Folk goes against their more accurate description as “A little nugget of “merriment” [that] has been brought into many people’s lives”.

Wholly Folk doesn’t burn people in wicker men. So far the most offensive thing we’ve burned is a poster of Twilight: New Moon.

11. 28 Sep ’10 at 10:48 am

Atilla the Hun

@Big Boi – The criticism of alternative societies is not necessary. There is a difference between attempted journalism and lies.
    Furthermore it also puts this paper one step closer to a libel suit.

12. 28 Sep ’10 at 12:19 pm

A DJ For the Fringe

Can I just say… Nightwish tends to get very little airing at the Asylum, mainly because it is too slow to go in a club (anyone whose listened to nightwish will understand, it is bedroom music not club music). The only room you COULD have heard nightwish last year was the back room (which played the dirtier and less well known side of alternative music – NOT my domain at all, but still all good). In the main room we had a MASSIVE range of metal and rock played, examples:
    Classic Rock
    Power Metal
    Folk Metal
    Battle Metal
    Metalcore
    Classic Metal
    Punk (well a little anyway)
    Emo

And we have DJ’s who specialise in each genre, so the music you get is going to be good and fit well in a club. If you want nightwish played at a club night then it just won’t happen (FACT), but if you want to come along and talk to people who like nightwish then that will happen; just because we can’;t play it in a club situation doesn’t stop you getting to know people within the society and listening to it in your lovely council grade concrete halls.

Also to the writer of this article… The negativety was not called for, and also not backed up with truth; I suggest you EXPERIENCE the clubs and societies before you pass comment… Feel free to come to the fringe stall during freshers fair and we can set you straight in person…

13. As a trenchcoat wearing, eccentric cultist, I find your comments highly insulting – metal is about as fun as infanticide.

Nah, just kidding, lighten up everyone.

14. I’m amazed at the symphonic metal community of York’s lack of a sense of humour. I thought if you dressed up like a viking, listened to keyboard driven pirate metal and braided your beard you’d have to be pretty self-deprecating or you’d just implode…

15. CHEESY POP SOC ARE SHIT.

I, however, am great. Trolololo.

16. If you are looking for an intro to York’s social life – it is a good article to start from but it does have its inaccuracies. Don’t believe what they tell you until you tried it out yourself (and there will be more than enough time to try out everything). ;)

The fact that those society/club names where mentuioned in the article only shows that they have been recognised – good or bad – they stand out in the crowd. So if you are adventurous, go find out why :)

17. This is a wonderful article. Don’t be a humourless trenchcoater. Ride the chillwaves.

18. Damn, despite being a Fringe member for several years I’ve still yet to see a 12 sided dice or be involved in “re-enactment Viking lols”. Thanks Tom, now I’m mildly paranoid that everyone has been excluding me from these antics. However, I must say, they are very good at keeping it secret. I had no idea what they were up to :/

19. Dear Mr Killingbeck,

Having read this article from start to finish (despite being continually challenged by the appauling formatting – please, go away and learn the meaning and use of the word “paragraph” before publishing your next insulting scribble), I can honestly say this diatribe has proved an inspiration of outrage to a surprising proportion of York’s social circle. Congratulations, you are a master of the art of offense (you can find my citation for this at the foot of this comment, where I have listed in order the 10 uncalled-for, abusive sentences you used that have caused so much vitriol to be levelled against you).

On a separate note I feel needs addressing, you seem to have bypassed the purpose of this piece (I presume, given your intended audience, you had planned to pass on some advice or information to their benefit, but this is sadly lacking). The sheer amount of phatic description and opinion pumped into such a short, unstructured article have personally left me feeling uninformed and confused – despite having lived in the city for nearly 3 years, and therefore far more aware of the refences you make. Perhaps, instead of bullying various societies, some verifiable information could have been used for padding this out (for example, drink and entrance prices, street names, specific nights or events these venues host that might be of interest to Freshers)? As it is, you have presented our new students with the derogatory and bitter ramblings of someone disenchanted by a city apparently laden with seedy nightclubs, leather-bound D&D junkies and duck shit – a glowing reccomendation that’s bound to settle the nerves of even the most anxious newcomer, I’m sure.

As promised, here is the list of insulting or offensive remarks made within this article, wherein you have castigated 4 societies, 2 bars, 2 bands and a high-street brand CD shop. You state in your comment, “it’s about 500 words too long”; this could have saved you 232 words.

1. “It’s telling that the two biggest bands to emerge from the town are dire – Emma Watson-romancers One Night Only and T4 Unsigned winners, the upsettingly mediocre Hijack Oscar.”

2. “many of which will rob you of the sweet pennies of your student loan and give you little in return.”

3. “This is truly the domain of the full-length Neo trenchcoat and twelve sided dice.”

4. “Nouse legend Jim Bulley’s dastardly attempt to make York’s music scene even more cheesy – Cheesy Pop Soc – has, over the past year, rendered this writer gibbering and lactose intolerant.”

5. “the somewhat eccentric activities of the cultish Wholly Folk and Revolutionary Society – who may end up burning you in a Wicker Man should you deign to join.”

6. “those shepherds of alcohol poisoning – the STYCs.”

7. “Beware though, if you value your sexual health, avoid Ziggy’s like the literal plague. That said, its dubstep and d&b nights are fairly savage, but possibly not quite savage enough to balance out the inevitable gonorrhoea.”

8. “A cheese-fest disco in a decrepit Chinese restaurant, which doesn’t seem to have a food licence, it is without doubt one of the most ridiculous places available to humanity. A club where a bouncer won’t bat an eyelid at a crowdsurf, or a turd on the floor.”

9. “consumer nightmare of HMV”

10. “the shithole that is Ziggy’s”

20. FUCK YOU TOM. We make Cannibal Corpse look like pussy rock.

p.s. Sending you a copy of our biography Once upon a Nightwish.

21. That’s just like…your opinion, man

22. Mr Killingbeck,

i am outraged by your heinously accurate and despicably funny piece. As a member of ______ soc, your comments about our society are totally unfair, how dare your opinion belie how we see our society? If nobody joins at Fresher’s Fair it’s totally your fault.

Yours truly,
    Po-Faced Nobody

23. 28 Sep ’10 at 7:25 pm

Fatty Hardluck

I find the ire expressed by other Wholly Folk and Revolutionary Society members at being accused of cultishness to be entirely unwarranted, and would like to apologise to the journalist, nay, wordsmith on behalf of the entire group. Such attacks on his journalistic integrity, though earnest, were uncalled-for and, I feel, badly misrepresent the nature of ‘Hofo-an-Revso’ (as it’s known on ‘The Street’).

Contrary to rumour, we DO practice human sacrifice, with a particular focus on new members of group. That we continue to accrue friends and followers on an almost weekly basis can only be attributed to the continued blessings of our fell god Xantos, the preternatural charisma of our founder and ‘first-among-equals’ Sean, and, if I may make so bold, the siren-like call of the accordion echoing mysteriously across the misty fens of the campus. I cannot help thinking it odd that my esteemed fellows (or ‘Enlightened Brethren’, as we call each other during meetings, on pain of an Eldritch Purging) have forgotten our propensity for burnt offerings, and for that matter our bloodletting sessions, our drug-induced ‘spirit journeys’, and our kidnapping and ritualistic brainwashing of problematic media figures.

Possibly these members were mistaken for such individuals, and had their memories mistakenly erased. If so, I apologise for any misapprehensions resulting from our negligence, and assure you that those directly responsible will not be suffered to live.

24. 28 Sep ’10 at 8:06 pm

Tom Killingbeck

@Sephy Hallow

Ma’am, your comment is a triumph of barely-restrained righteous spitting fury on a level unseen since Russell Brand dared to insert his member into Andrew Sach’s granddaughter. It has now been printed out and has pride of place on my wall. Also thank you for helpfully cutting and pasting the best bits of the article into an easy-to-read ‘Top 10’ format. For the record, I am unrepentant, and challenge any issue-taker to a re-enactment duel on the hill by the Alcuin watertower.

P.s. Thanks to Fatty Hardluck for putting everybody straight about my Wholly Folk comments. HAIL XANTOS.

25. Has everyone here had a sense of humour bypass or what?

26. 28 Sep ’10 at 9:31 pm

Reenactment duelist

Sadly I’m not an issue taker, but I would like to challenge you to a re-enactment duel. I could perhaps reenact the first heart transplant, what would you like to reenact? And how will we determine the winner?

27. 29 Sep ’10 at 12:39 am

Nosey Neighbourson

@Sephy Hallow (and anyone else with a lack of humour)

Every new student will be paddled with the YUSU night club planner. The criticism given is very light and is simply playing on some well suited stereotypes – we all do it. Regardless of whether you sportsman, member of a society or campus politics type, every single one of us judges every other clique by some misinformed facts. It is incredible that you cannot see that this article is not meant to be particularly serious – it is written with tongue firmly in cheek. You have missed out that Killingbeck has done his homework, presented an engaging, witty and well developed look at York and its scene. How many other student journos are scoping out a record store in a city devoid of a recognised music scene and giving the time to some of the lesser known societies?

For once, appreciate that a student writer is straying away from the safe, contrite and bit part attempt of Music journalism that is widespread at York and that he has actually looked past what is being played by Zane Lowe, isn’t being hyped by the NME and isn’t on rotation in the day on Radio 1. Read Visions music section for that.

Many writers would do well to follow his lead, be wholly honest and write something worth reading.

Tom Killingbeck, much more of the same please.

NN

28. Whilst no one can deny the intent of the article is to be tongue-in-cheek about York’s music scene, the point many are trying to make is that this article is aimed at Freshers, i.e., those who are unlikely to get the in-jokes presented here.

This article is part of the Freshers’ Guide, which should really be for informing and advising our new students, not for presenting one journalist’s views on a subject with little of the reality given with them.

Writing to amuse is fine, as long as your intended audience are likely to realise this, and I think some of us fear that any skim-reading Freshers are going to pick up on the negatives.

Also, there is (and I’m sorry to bring this up again) having a mild jest at your subject and then being offensive to them. I’m glad to see that some members of the offended societies are reacting with similar witty responses, but for many members their society means a lot to them and to see it presented in what could be a negative light is going to anger them.

29. Dear Sir,

I take exception to this “journalist’s” uninformed and, frankly, worrying view of symphonic metal as ‘semi-operatic keyboard driven drivel’. If he took the time to bring his symph-met references up to date maybe I would take more notice. Yeah, we all liked Nightwish, WHEN WE WERE 15!! I can’t deny the quality of their early material, Emppu’s guitar work on Angels Fall First easily rivals names such as Malmsteen and CC DeVille, but we all know they lost their way after Tarja’s departure. To cite them as a current force in symphonic metal reveals the lie behind this writer’s “so-called expertise”. I have a wide knowledge of metal and listened to a lot of The Eclectic Wizards and take it from me they suck. Try some Epica or Dystera if you want tr00 metal.

Yours sincerely.

When she embraces
    Your heart turns to stone
    She comes at night when you’re all alone
    And when she whispers
    Your blood shall run cold
    You’d better hide before she finds you
    – Ice Queen by Within Temptation.

30. I think it’s fair to say the comments on this message have got slightly out of hand.

I’m sure Tom didn’t intend to offend societies, and I think any intelligent reader would recognise that this is the opinion of ONE man and certainly not that of any kind of majority of students, or indeed this paper.

People will have enough sense to check out the societies in question at the YUSU Fair on October 16th and decide for themselves which societies are worth joining. When students are walking around the busy, thriving fair and looking at all our societies have to offer, I think this article will be the last thing on their mind…

31. Sephy Hallow tl;dr

32. Great article, keep it up.

Some people really need to lighten up a bit. If you take offence by a humorous article on a student newspaper then that’s your own problem – and references to libel suits, journalistic quality and Within Temptation are honestly cringeworthy.

33. Another good article, perfect description of the Willow – next time i have to tell someone about the place I think I’ll just link them to this article to prove I’ve not made it up!

Nouse wouldn’t be Nouse, however, if there weren’t a few overreactionary comments from people who really need to get a sense of humour. If you’re the kind of person who has to be negative about everything there are plenty of pointless Student Union protests to go on, or debating groups where you can try and convince everyone that all offensive comments, opinions and swear words should be banned.

For everyone else, however, this article is pretty accurate. York’s music scene is great fun, but just don’t take it too seriously!

34. This article makes me laugh, and the comments are even funnier.

Amusingly – considering that a lot of the discussion relates to Fringe – Tom is the one that has been seriously misunderstood. His unflappable cynicism may be my favourite thing about the York music scene.

So here’s the real truth:

Tom loves music. All kinds of music. He loves his Rock & Indie yes, but if you were to set up a camera in every single music themed night in York you would eventually see Tom Killingbeck slink his way across the dance floor looking thoroughly out of place in skinny jeans and braces. I have seen him at cheese events, indie events, drum & bass events, dubstep events, chart events, rock events and even, recently, a musical bingo set. He loves it all. He also loves being a cynic and he is fantastic at it. Like the Charlie Brooker of the music scene. Learn to embrace it – you’ll have a lot more fun!