Halifax College

Halifax is York’s largest College, and uses a unique house accommodation system, rather than the corridor system which all other colleges use. The houses are set up in ‘Courts’, home to between 10 and 20 students per building with bathrooms on the highest floors and a kitchen on the ground floor.

Despite being situated with a walk up to 15 minutes away from the rest of campus and gaining the reputation of residing in some of York’s worst accommodation, Halifax makes up in its College spirit. Many Halifax residents say living in a house allows people to become friends quicker, because they get to know each other’s living habits. As a result, they are often more likely to live together in their second and third years.

Their Junior Common Room (JCR), JJ’s, has an Xbox, sofas, Wi-Fi and a coffee machine. Halifax also have their own mini-Costcutter close at hand, as well as a laundrette. Their computer room has 30 computers available for all students to use.

Halifax has no academic departments or lecture theatres in its vicinity, but is close to Heslington Village. Students can often be found in the two local pubs – The Charles and The Deramore Arms. Sandwich shop Browns is a nearby haven, acting as a vital source of food for those unable (or too lazy) to make lunchtime snacks.

Halifax Chair Lydia Blundell and the rest of the college committee are currently planning their Fresher’s Week events, and assigning Second and Third Years to each house to help Freshers adjust to life at university. The college runs events such as ‘Bar FTSE’ in York city centre, and take part in campus-wide events throughout the year.

Halifax accommodation is in an ideal location for those interested in playing sports at university, just across the road from the Sports Centre and next to the football fields.