Derwent College

Derwent College is the college that everyone else wishes they were in. Despite the accommodation being on the less than luxurious side, it has a college spirit and allegiance that is unrivalled throughout the University. Derwent events are the best events on campus, with students from every college flocking to attend. They also play host to ‘Big D’, the biggest and most popular campus event of the year, with headliners this year including Chase and Status and Audio Bullys. The event usually takes place at the very end of the summer term, often following the summer ball in a week long celebration for those lucky enough to have finished exams. Student demand for tickets this year was so great that the Union website crashed under the pressure! Derwent also has a very enthusiastic JCRC, chaired by the charismatic Holly Burton, with students from all year groups prepared to devote their time in ensuring it remains the most social college on campus. The central location of the college, which houses the departments of Politics and Philosophy, also proves useful to those students who appreciate that extra ten minutes in bed before having to crawl off to lectures. Derwent bar, one of the largest on campus, has just undergone renovation, adding to the social allure of the college. There are also two launderettes (one in the extension block), as well as a computer room and a large work room upstairs – sometimes a haven if the library is full of your chatty, delightful and irritatingly distracting friends. Derwenters have the advantage of backing onto the lawns outside Heslington Hall, allowing for much barbecuing and sunbathing on the grass in the summer, and the Quiet Place, a pretty, Secret Garden-esque walled garden open for student use. While the slightly crumbling nature of the Derwent Halls may initially appear off-putting, most Derwenters argue that it ensures you have a fully authentic student experience, and leads the way for much bonding between flatmates. And isn’t that what University is all about?