Alcuin College

Alcuin College, tucked away in a quiet corner of campus, is one of the oldest and largest colleges at York, yet has some of the newest accommodation. Fondly known as the ‘ensuite elite’, each room has its own bathroom, a serious luxury and one that ensures you can avoid awkward corridor encounters with flatmates whilst dashing half-naked from a shared shower. Some of you may even be blessed with a lift in your block, allowing you to avoid the oh so challenging task of clambering up three flights of stairs. Be warned, however, they can prove surprisingly difficult to operate when in an inebriated state. The Alcuin Bar ‘B Henrys’, whilst in no way the social epicentre of campus, holds popular quiz nights, and just re-launched itself as the live music venue of campus. However, the great thing about Alcuin is all the outdoor grassy space, and in the summer it really comes into its own. Out come the paddling pools, and barbecues are set up where everyone from the surrounding blocks comes and joins in. The college even holds a summer fete, complete with food and bouncy castle, so you can really embrace your inner child. As one of the biggest colleges it’s great as you get to meet such a variety of people. Whilst the college events are often not the most popular, this is due more to limited space, and Alcuin holds a reputation as one of the most social colleges. Ollie Todd chairs the very dedicated Alcuin JCRC, who ensure that the college has some of the best welfare support on campus. They regularly hold free pizza and movie events, as well as weekly coffee, cake and condom sessions for those who like something sweet whilst stocking up on free sexual health supplies. And, to top it all off, if you are lucky enough, you will be able to watch Medieval Soc perform battles, complete with very authentic looking weaponry, on Sunday afternoons in the field behind the college. Life as an Alcuinite is never boring.