Knifeman jailed for attack on York student

Photo credit: York Press

Photo credit: York Press

The knifeman responsible for stabbing a University of York student in June in an unprovoked attack has been given a six year prison sentence.

Andrew David Linsdell, a 22-year-old who lived locally, pleaded guilty to charges of carrying a knife and wounding with intent, at his trial at York Crown Court. He was also found to have been drunk and high on mephodrone at the time of the attack.

The attack occurred on Lawrence Street, as the student was walking home from Gallery nightclub with a friend in the early hours of the 25 June. The court heard how they encountered a drunken Linsdell, who pulled a knife on the “wholly unarmed and innocent” students, with a blade between five and eight inches. The student who was attacked then described how he felt an “aching pain” on his left side.

Though he suffered a wound five inches deep, none of his vital organs were damaged, and after exploratory surgery, was discharged from York Hospital within 48 hours.

Linsdell, who was arrested in Malton two days after the attack, was previously convicted of stealing £2,500 cash, and had served a 16 month prison sentence. However, only days after his release, he stabbed the student in an unprovoked attack.

Judge Stephen Ashurst told Linsdell at the trail: “This offending is escalating. Things are getting worse. What you did was deeply shocking for this victim and his friend and a disturbing event for the public. The worrying aspect of this is the speed with which you produced that knife.”

Speaking on behalf on Linsdell, Nicholas Barker explained how the defendant had been riled up after an argument with his girlfriend that night, and was only carrying the knife as part of his fishing equipment.

However, he continued: “The reasons as to why these offences occurred are deeply confused and shrouded. There is no rational or logical reason as to why this defendant committed this serious act on this night.”

1. It should have been a life sentence, a student could have died for no reason whatsoever. In a few years this murderous thug will be roaming the streets again.

2. Wow, according to Nouse he was only arrested yesterday, as if he has been jailed already.

Very quick turn around by the justice system.

3. @Anon, what part of “Linsdell, who was arrested in Malton two days after the attack […]” implies that he was arrested yesterday?

4. 18 Aug ’10 at 2:25 pm

CommentWatcher

@Reader
    Nouse have corrected the mistakes in their article (they didn’t/don’t understand the difference between arrested and jailed).

To minimise the embarrassment the editorial totalitarian regimen has removed the comments highlighting the error.

5. I really do wonder what world people are living in where they think it should have been a life sentence because he COULD have died.

People get away with a lot worse, and a lot similar, with no jail time what so ever. It’s a miracle this man was caught, let alone given jail time.

6. “I really do wonder what world people are living in where they think it should have been a life sentence because he COULD have died.”

It was only luck that saved the life of that student.

We are talking about a man who has already failed to rehabilitate and is clearly a danger to society. In a few years time this man will most likely be doing the same things again and maybe his next victims won’t be so lucky. So frankly yes it should have been a life sentence.

“People get away with a lot worse, and a lot similar, with no jail time what so ever.”

So what? Shouldn’t murderous thugs be incarcerated because Idi Amin got away with a lot worse than any of them?

7. anon

I really do wonder what world YOU are living in.

Of course people have gotten away with far worse. But the fact that they DID doesn’t mean they SHOULD have gotten away with it. By your reasoning, we should abandon (or weaken) all forms of criminal prosecution because some people manage to evade punishment? Truly bizarre…