A number of new investigations have taken place this week in relation to the ongoing Claudia Lawrence inquiry, despite the news last week that the investigation is to significantly scaled down.
North Yorkshire Police, who are investigating the disappearance of the University of York chef, said a man arrested on suspicion of a burglary in the city had been spoken to about the case.
North Yorkshire Police said the man was only “one of many people spoken to during the course of the investigation” and he was not identified as a formal suspect by the inquiry team.
They continued: “Due to the location and circumstances of the burglary, police officers investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence spoke to him in connection with the investigation. He was not a formal suspect, but was spoken to in a voluntary capacity, one of many people spoken to during the course of the investigation.”
No formal suspects have yet been identified as part of the inquiry, and no-one had been arrested or interviewed under caution in connection with Ms Lawrence’s disappearance and suspected murder. A source at North Yorkshire Police said: “To date, the search has not resulted in any significant development in relation to Claudia’s disappearance or suspected murder.”
The news follows the search of a property in the North Yorkshire village of Thornton-le-Dale on July 28, where large number of police were spotted “spiking” ground in the garden of a property.
The police source said that the search was a response to a line of inquiry which had been developed during police investigations.
A documentary about the search for Claudia will be shown on Channel 4 on Friday evening.