Club Salvation suffers large scale fire damage

Fire damage at Club Salvation. Image credit: York Press

Further updates

A fire broke out in the smoking area of the Club Salvation this morning, beginning just after the club closed at 4am.

Firefighters from four different Yorkshire fire stations were called to the nightclub, but the cause of the fire has yet to be announced.

Club staff were evacuated before firefighters proceeded to extinguish the flames successfully by 6.45am. There were no resulting casualties.

The first floor smoking area of the club has been burnt down, as well as office areas on the floors above.

Club Salvation’s main ground level dance floor suffered smoke and water damages.

Whilst management has offered Club BPM as an alternative venue, Club Salvation will be closed this weekend. They have also expressed their hopes for Club Salvation to re-open in under a week.

Club Salvation promoter, Marc Lawrence, described the events: “After the club was closed a fire broke out on the smoking terrace. The fire was reported by a member of the security team. The staff were immediately evacuated following the proper procedure. An attempt was made to tackle the fire yet it was to dangerous to face…
no-one was hurt in the blaze.”

One of the Club’s Facebook groups posted: “The club is untouched apart from a bit of water from the firemen. Audio system working, lighting working. Salvation back open for Thursday hopefully.”

A logo has already been created for the slogan: “Like a phoenix she will rise again.”

Tony Richards, one of YUSU’s Ents Officers, commented that it’s “difficult to say how this will affect the student night life as we don’t know the full extent of the damage”. He added that the YUSU affiliation with the club has been a “great partnership” and “has proven very successful indeed”.

“I think Salvation itself was always one of the better clubs in York it just needed Union backing to make it a favourable option for York Uni students when it comes to things like queue jumps and drinks deals. They have always been a pleasure to work with, they appear determined to re-open the club as early as this Thursday night and I am sure they will do all they can to recover the situation,” Richards added.

1. 31 Jul ’10 at 7:47 pm

Atilla the Hun

Great shame, I spoke to Tony Richards earlier on and all he could say was “I’m more gutted than Salvation.”.
    Well he didn’t actually say that but he was upset that this happened.

2. This will not affect the official student night in any way. we all can look forward to a brand new smoking terrace. whoooop.
    I would like to thank all the students of York uni who have been in contact to make sure we (the staff) are ok and yes we are all safe. x

3. 31 Jul ’10 at 8:45 pm

Tony Richards

@ Atilla the Hun. I Did not say that.

4. 31 Jul ’10 at 8:51 pm

Stelhan Ariyadasa-Sáez

I’m sorry- I didn’t hear you over the sound of Tru’s management rubbing their hands together with glee.

5. 31 Jul ’10 at 10:32 pm

loves ZiggysBUT

I had a sneeky look inside (they had all the doors open this afternoon).
    The main club looks untouched by the fire. Glad no-one was hurt.

6. 1 Aug ’10 at 9:10 am

Compare the Meerkat

Began after all guests had left.

Only the smoking area affected.

The club to reopen in a week.

This has insurance job written all over it. Get sleuthing Ms Apcar – this story ain’t what it seems…

7. 1 Aug ’10 at 10:06 am

insurance job

deffo an insurance job without doubt!

8. why the fuck should students get to queue jump and if people want to smoke,they should go outside or give up full stop

9. 1 Aug ’10 at 12:34 pm

Average student

@ben dover
    as far as I am aware students only get to queue jump if they have bought them at the Courtyard (Union Bar) and those Q jumps only work on student only nights anyway.

So your saying people should go outside to smoke? There is a massive road at the front of the club, could you imagine the chaos and safety hazard that would cause.

I like smoking areas, not because I am a smoker but those areas tend to have the kind of casual atmosphere which allows you to meet new people and relate to them far easier.

10. 1 Aug ’10 at 8:31 pm

Jason Seamann

@ben dover

If it wasnt for the students, these places would probably not be open at all.

11. 2 Aug ’10 at 11:33 pm

Atilla the Hun

I think it’s good that YUSU have made such a quick statement on the issue. Huzzah for Mr Richards.

12. @ Jason Seamann
    Actually Club Salvation would be one of the few clubs that would still be open. It was still successful way before it had the Tuesday student night, as it is popular with the locals.

@ Ben Dover
    If you don’t like smokers then don’t go into the smoking area and just be grateful that smoking is no longer permitted inside the club!

Club Salvation should use this is as an opportunity to refurb the club a bit. Salvation is one of the nicer clubs but there is always more that could be done…

13. Why was Tony “I do nothing but talk a lot Richards” asked for a quote on this?

14. “we all can look forward to a brand new smoking terrace.”

Unfortunate choice of words… Still, sounds like it hasn’t caused as much damage as initially indicated and will be back to normal in no time. As for the queue jump situation – they get to queue jump because they pay for it. Simple, really!

15. 6 Aug ’10 at 1:25 am

Jason Stackhouse

Salvation back open on the 12th August apparently.

16. 6 Aug ’10 at 4:31 pm

Grammar Police

“was to dangerous to face…” really?

17. yes it was ! anyway people are more important !

Re-opens this Thurday !

18. Salvation was a shit club anyway: Nobody’s lost out here. Even the manager is probably thinking a new life in somewhere warmer might be a good idea. Bring back Tru, fuckers!

19. Fret not John you can still hear soulless dj sets and that lad who bangs the drums (pretty good at it tbf, gets a bit samey though when they unleash him every week). Salvo is still open. X