Claudia Lawrence investigation to be significantly scaled down

The number of officers involved in the Claudia Lawrence investigation is due to be significantly reduced, as well as the amount of resources allocated to the case.

Ms Lawrence was a chef at Goodricke College, and was last seen in Heworth on 18 March 2009. At the height of the investigation, 100 officers were involved in the search for Ms Lawrence. The number has been gradually reduced during the past 16 months, with around 20 officers working on the case at the anniversary of her disappearance this year. At the end of this month only 16 officers will continue to work on the investigation, being reduced further to seven at the start of August.

Assistant Chief Constable for North Yorkshire police Tim Madgwick stated that “as leads are followed, investigated and actions completed”, the police are now in a position where “there is no longer a requirement for the level of resources allocated to the inquiry”.

Madgwick continued to say that the decision to reduce resources has been made by police after “several months of further review and scrutiny”, and that their “overriding desire is to bring the person or persons responsible for Claudia’s disappearance to justice”.

The investigation will continue to remain open, with a dedicated response team and phone number set up in place for any calls that may be received as a result of a Channel 4 documentary, due to be shown on 13 August.

Ms Lawrence’s family were fully informed of the changes to the investigation by the police, before details were released to the press. They were unavailable to comment at the time of writing.

1. Have the local, district and regional police been investigated?