YUSU acknowledges employment problems

YUSU told Nouse yesterday that “employability is an area identified by the University as being weak and the University is going through the process of approving an employability strategy to get York on par with comparator institutions”

YUSU told Nouse yesterday that “employability is an area identified by the University as being weak and the University is going through the process of approving an employability strategy to get York on par with comparator institutions.”

In a statement issued by Tim Ngwena, YUSU President, regarding statistics released by the Higher Education Statistics Authority (HESA) last week, the Union are said to be actively tackling the issue.

Ngwena continued: “This is an initiative that YUSU has been involved in. We are Golden was a campaign to focus on this particular issue, and over the next year we should see the careers service reach out to students as a result of the direct feedback we received during this campaign.”

The results disclosed by HESA show that University of York students are less employable than York St John students, and that the University’s employability rating is 2.5 per cent lower than its benchmark, at 88.3 per cent.

Ngwena admitted that “it’s difficult to know what the data means without more useful statistics.” The results provided by HESA are only based on the population of students who actually wanted to answer the survey, and were able to give clear enough answers.

Ngwena also noted that the statistics did not provide a metric on “how many graduates are getting the jobs they want and it’s also unclear as to whether further study counts towards employment or not.”

Regarding the recent graduate tax proposals announced last week by Business Secretary Vince Cable, Ngwena emphasised that it was not a “solid proposal” and that students should follow the NUS’s advice by ensuring that “if the proposal becomes a reality, it’s progressive and equitable to the range of learning that takes place in higher education.”

Ngwena added: “YUSU will be watching the progress of this announcement and pending reports like the Browne review to monitor the impact it will have on students looking at York as a future prospect.”

1. More talk from Mr Ngwena, who I hear doesn’t seem to be that keen on actually putting YUSU resources behind any further campaign or activities beyond a campaign…

2. “Ngwena also noted that the statistics did not provide a metric on “how many graduates are getting the jobs they want”

Would this really be useful in comparing unis either, though? Surely students at better unis will have higher aspirations than those at lesser unis, therefore will go for roles with a greater number of applicants and risk a higher chance of rejection which will detract from this metric figure.

York St Johns figures are higher than ours but…not many YSJ students are going to go onto further education. Not many will be going into further training (pupilage, for example…) and most will enter mediocre office positions.

I think the quality of roles needs to be considered too.