Keith Lilley to leave York

Director of Facilities Management, Keith Lilley, will be leaving the University of York at the end of this academic year.

Lilley will be taking a position among staff at the University of Sheffield, after spending nearly five years at the University of York. Lilley became Director of Facilities Management following 20 years of employment at the NHS.

As of August 13 2010, current Heslington East Project Director Jon Meacock will take the role of Acting Director of Estates and Campus Services. This will be a six month appointment in which the Head of Campus Services and the two Heads of Estates will report to Meacock.

Lilley has been criticised in the past for his stance on portering but was recently praised over the University of York’s achievement in winning ‘Investors in People’ and ‘Customer First Standard ’ awards.

However, Lilley is “not able to advise what organisational structure” will be in place from February 2011, referring the matter on to a structural review to be carried out after the six month period by David Duncan, University Registrar and Secretary, who has assured that “we are not making radical changes.”

The Directorate of Facilities Management (DFM) currently oversees almost 800 individual employees within various University remits: Campus Services (including Security and Support); Commercial Services; DFM Staff Training and Development; Estates Services; Supplies Office; Systems Support and Development.

Lilley has revealed that Jon Greenwood, Director of Commercial Services, will “report directly to the Registrar and Secretary.”

When asked about the lack of a direct replacement for Lilley, Duncan commented that: “Our view is that the needs of the University going forward will be best met by deploying our resources” through the rearranged structure.

“We have a very able group of senior officers on the staff and I have no doubt that we will build on the very considerable progress that Keith has made over the last five years.”

A Philosophy student has commented: “I don’t see how this sort of change could affect me, they just earn a lot, but I guess they probably make quite a lot of important decisions to do with things like portering.”

1. Much, much better researched and written than its counterpart piece on the other website…

2. Insightful quote by a Philosophy student there…

3. Amen to Journo type. It was a good article until we heard the ‘pearls of wisdom’ from an anonymous philosophy student.