The Nouse guide to the transfer window

With the transfer window now open, analyses each Premiership club’s completed and prospective dealings this summer

The destination of Joe Cole is likely to be one of the main talking points this summer. Photo: jspace3 via Flickr Creative Commons

Forget the World Cup, England are out and their early return will mean that the players are fresher for the new domestic season. The Premier League transfer window, or as its otherwise known, ‘silly season’, has opened with the amounts of money changing hands likely to be record breaking. Manchester City are likely to be the biggest spenders with Chelsea also willing to pay top dollar for the world’s best available talent. With the World Cup displaying many lesser known players, we look at each Premiership club, its transfers and who they are likely to sign.

Completed Deals are according to the Telegraph and BBC Sport and Prospective Transfers are those considered most likely from reports in International Press. Potential signings and reasons are the opinion of the author; please comment on who you think your club should be signing and selling.

Arsenal

Amidst the furore of the Fabregas saga, Wenger has vowed to sure up his ever weakening defence with no less than 3 defenders set to leave at the end of their contracts. Many Arsenal fans last year were unhappy with the performances of their goalkeepers and understandably Wenger is looking at a number of options to add to his squad.

Positions Needed: Goalkeeper, Defender

Completed Transfers
Players In: Marouane Chamakh (£10.4m, Bordeaux), Kyle Ebecillo (Undisc, Feyenoord)
Players Out: Fran Merida (Free, A. Madrid), Philippe Senderos (Free, Fulham), Francis Coquelin (Loan, Lorient)

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Laurent Koscielny, Mark Schwarzer, Joe Cole, Renat Yanbaev, Christian Eriksen, Jan Vertonghen
Players Out: Cesc Fabregas, Jay Simpson (Loan), Eduardo, Sol Campbell (End of Contract), William Gallas (End of Contract), Mikael Silvestre (End of Contract), Gael Clichy

As seen in previous transfer windows, Wenger does not always go with big name signings but prefers to bring in lesser known talented players a-la Thomas Vermaelan. Therefore, despite much publicity, it is unlikely to see world cup star Mesut Ozil moving to the Emirates. I think it is also likely that Fabregas will not move this summer with Arsenal not needing the money and Barcelona not in desperate need of another midfielder, it is therefore likely that he will be allowed to move next summer if Arsenal fail to win any trophies. Despite interest from Spurs, Joe Cole is likely to move to Arsenal who despite being rivals with Chelsea would mean that the midfielder could remain in the capital.

Aston Villa

Villa look set to face another summer struggling to hold onto one of their players; last summer Mancheste City launched an offensive to sign Gareth Barry and a similar story is likely to be written this summer with City after James Milner. Martin O’Neill has a habit of bringing through talented English players and it therefore likely that players such as Delph, Downing and Young will play more defining parts in the coming season. This will mean that signings made will be aimed at fitting into this core of the squad.

Positions Needed: Defender, Striker

Completed Transfers
Players In: None
Players Out: Wilfred Bouma (Released), Marlon Harewood (Released), Stephen O’Halloran (Free, Coventry)

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Robbie Keane, Aiden McGeady, Micah Richards
Players Out: James Milner, Steve Sidwell, Emile Heskey

With Robbie Keane available at a cut down price after his return to Tottenham from his loan spell at Celtic, he would be a perfect signing for a Villa side that lacked a natural finisher last season. Despite having Heskey and Carew, O’Neill was sometimes reluctant to use them and a striker such as Robbie Keane would be a perfect foil for the pace and skills of Agbonlahor and Young. With Emile Heskey playing very few games last season and far from impressive performances at the world cup, if a new striker were to be brought in then we may see Heskey move on. McGeady is currently angling for a move to the Premier league and would perfectly fill the vacant spot left by James Milner if he is snapped up by City.

Birmingham City

After finishing a very respectable 9th position in the 2009/2010 season, McLeish needs to build upon last season’s successes by using the larger transfer funds available after the long protracted takeover by Carson Yeung. With only Cameron Jerome reaching double figures for league goals last season, a striker is needed to provide the Birmingham attack with a cutting edge next season. A long term replacement is also needed for the ageing Maik Taylor.

Positions Needed: Goalkeeper, Striker

Completed Transfers
Players In: Ben Foster (£6m, Man Utd), Nikola Zigic (£6m, Valencia), Enric Valles (Free, NAC Breda)
Players Out: Gary McSheffrey (Free, Coventry), Artur Krysiak (Released), Franck Queudrue (Released), Teemu Tainio (Released), Gregory Vignal (Released), Jared Wilson (Released)

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Cheik Tiote, Paul Konchesky
Players Out: Marcus Bent

With the signings of Ben Foster from Man Utd and Nikola Zigic from Valencia, McLeish has signed two very good players who fill the positions where Birmingham were flawed last season. However, with the releasing of several defenders from the squad, this will surely be the new area McLeish will concentrate on, with defenders Tiote and Konchesky the prime candidates.

Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn may be in for an interesting summer with Real Madrid team-mates Guti and Raul being linked with moves to Rovers. Such signings would not be the first with Allardyce having a habit of bringing in experienced players for little money, such as Salgado last summer and Basturk in January. We will also have to wait on the outcome of a proposed takeover of Rovers which could bring in additional transfer funds.

Positions Needed: Striker

Completed Transfers
Players In: Alan Judge (Undisc, Plymouth Argyle)
Players Out: Marcus Marshall (Free, Rotherham), Michael Hall (Free, Accrington Stanley), Stephen Reid (Free, WBA)

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Nikica Jelavic
Players Out: Zurab Khizanishvili, Yildiray Basturk (End of Contract)

No major moves have been made yet by Allardyce however Jelavic has been strongly linked with a move to Blackburn where he would pair Rovers other Croatian striker Kalinic. Allardyce has also reportedly told Khizanishvili that he has no future at Ewood Park, a transfer that is likely to see Premier league commentators rejoice.

Blackpool

Ian Holloway has major work on his hands to prepare his team for life in the Premier League. Blackpool only just made the play-offs, narrowly pipping Swansea City but managed to overcome Cardiff City in the final to reach England’s top division. The fact that the team were third highest scorers last season displays well on their strike force however having conceded 58 goals in 46 matches their defence will need shoring up if they are to prevent drubbings against the Premier league’s best teams. Pool will also have to replace the loan signings who were massively influential in their promotion bid.

Positions Needed: Goalkeeper, Defender, Midfield

Completed Transfers
Players In: None
Players Out: Al Bangura (Released), Hameur Bouazza (Released), Joe Martin (Released), Danny Mitchley (Released), Daniel Nardiello (Released), Stephen McPhee (Retired)

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Danny Welbeck (Loan), Deniz Yilmaz, Scott Sinclair (Loan)
Players Out: None

Holloway has already allowed six players to leave at the end of their contracts meaning he is left with a relatively small squad. He has, however, stated that he will not be rushed into making signings and that he will not court players with high transfer fees, so it is likely that in addition to loan signings, a number of cheaper hard working team players will be brought in.

Chelsea

League Champions and FA Cup winners last season represented a return to their best with the team knocking in over 100 goals in the league. Despite the apparent strength of the team, Abramovich is once again looking to flash his cash with many large name transfers being rumoured.

Positions Needed: Midfielder

Completed Transfers
Players In: None
Players Out: Michael Ballack (Released), Juliano Belletti (Released), Joe Cole (Released)

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Yossi Benayoun, Sergio Ramos, Tomas Kalas, Bastian Schweinsteiger
Players Out: Franco Di Santo, Michael Mancienne, Scott Sinclair

Chelsea look set to use the current turmoil at Liverpool to sign Yossi Benayoun as a replacement for outgoing winger Joe Cole with the midfielder said to have agreed terms. Tomas Kalas is also said to be likely to move to Stamford Bridge in a deal worth £5m. High spending transfers may include Sergio Ramos, who is rumoured to be a favourite player of Abramovich, and Bastian Schweinsteiger who could move in a deal worth £25m. Other rumoured players include Kun Aguero from Athletico Madrid and Torres from Liverpool though despite their riches, the chances of either signing are quite slim.

Everton

Everton could have been considered to have a poor season missing out on the Europa League spots. They struggled with goals when Cahill was not in the side, however with Louis Saha starting to produce glimpses of his Fulham days an additional striker would mean a lot more goals next season.

Positions Needed: Defender, Striker

Completed Transfers
Players In: Jan Mucha (Free, Legia Warsaw), Joao Silva (£.5m, Desportivo Das Aves), Jermaine Beckford (Free, Leeds)
Players Out: None

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Stephen Ireland, Magaye Gueye, Stephane Sessegnon, Angelo Ogbonna
Players Out: Yakubu, Joseph Yobo

Yakubu produced the miss of the World Cup so far and his performances for club and country have left a lot to be desired; it is therefore likely he will be moving on this summer with West Ham interested. Stephen Ireland who has been forced out of a City side splashing the cash will grab any opportunity to get first team football meaning Everton will be getting a bargain if they can get him. Jan Mucha, first choice Slovakian keeper, is set to join at the end of his contract with Legia Warsaw although he will undoubtedly be back-up for Tim Howard. The signing of Jermaine Beckford on a free represents another value signing though it remains to be seen if a League One striker can make it at the highest level.

Fulham

Last season Fulham beat some of Europe’s best teams to reach the Europa League final. However, times are worrying for Fulham with Roy Hodgson making his way out of Craven Cottage. Much will depend on who his replacement is as to the transfer policy that is instilled after his departure. It is likely however, that whoever is the manager come the new season, they will have money to spend with owner Mohamed Al-Fayed recently making a £1 billion profit after selling Harrods.

Positions Needed: Goalkeeper. Striker

Completed Transfers:
Players In: Philippe Senderos (Free, Arsenal)
Players Out: Chris Smalling (£10m, Man Utd), Wayne Brown (Free, Bristol Rovers), Erik Nevland (Free, Viking), Elliot Omuzusi (Free, Leyton Orient), Stefan Payne (Free, Gillingham)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Steve Sidwell, David James, Eidur Gudjohnsen
Players Out: Mark Schwarzer, Paul Konchesky

Fulham must have been laughing all the way to the bank after Chris Smalling’s £10m move to Man Utd a little over 18 months after he joined from Maidstone United. And although this payment is likely to be performance related, Fulham will still be left with a sizeable chunk to spend in the transfer market. Mark Schwarzer is reportedly close to signing for Arsenal for £3.5m so a goalkeeper will be a priority for Fulham with David James and Robert Green top of the list, David James is the more likely after decent performances at the World Cup and being available for free. Eidur Gudjohnsen is also likely to be added to the strike force if he is not offered a new loan deal or permanent contract by Tottenham.

Liverpool

Liverpool are a team with a long summer ahead of them. Finishing last season in seventh place means they were out of the Champions League places and will have to make do with competing in the Europa League. With Rafa Benitez moving to Inter Milan severe disruption could be caused in the team with majorly influential players such as Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard unsure of their futures and Benitez wanting to sign some of his former players. That said, they have managed to secure Roy Hodgson as their manager and the LMA Manager of the Year 2009/2010 will definitely whip things back into shape.

Positions Needed: Defender, Striker

Completed Transfers:
Players In: Jonjo Shelvey (£1.7m, Charlton Athletic), Milan Jovanovic (Free, Standard Liege)
Players Out: David Martin (Free, MK Dons), Robbie Threlfall (Free, Bradford City), Christopher Oldfield (Released), Fabio Aurelio (Released)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Wayne Hennessey
Players Out: Emiliano Insua, Yossi Benayoun, Javier Mascherano

Many names have been rumoured to be on their way out the door but nothing will be decided until Hodgson is consulted. The new manager will have to sell players to raise funds as the transfer budget is likely to be small, however if Mascherano is sold then this would be a major source of transfer income. Jovanovic has already been bought in on a free and the Serbian striker will boost a strike force that struggled when Torres was injured.

Manchester City

Despite City’s failure to make the Champions League, expect to see some big name signings over the summer. The reported offers made during the January transfer window give an insight into the amount of money that is likely to be thrown around this summer. The only conceivable position that needs to be strengthened is the defence which lacked consistency, though it remains to be seen if Mancini can gel a team with many more new faces.

Positions Needed: Defender

Completed Transfers:
Players In: Jerome Boateng (£11m, Hamburg), Alex Henshall (Free, Swindon Town)
Players Out: Andrew Mitchell (Free, Rangers), Benjani Mwaruwari (Released), Martin Petrov (Released), Sylvinho (Released), Paul Marshall (Free, Walsall)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: David Silva, Yaya Toure, James Milner, Dani Alves, Phillipe Mexes, David Luiz
Players Out: Roque Santa Cruz, Robinho, Stephen Ireland, Nigel de Jong, Shaun Wright-Phillips

With big names being rumoured daily it is impossible to tell who City will actually sign, however David Silva has reportedly signed with Yaya Toure and James Milner also looking to move to City. The signing of German International Jerome Boateng has already been made to try and improve the defence but we will have to see how much first team action he gets with Toure and Lescott already in the centre of defence. Robinho returns to City at the start of August but will not be their long according to the national media with City speculated to be considering releasing him.

Manchester United

This transfer window is very important in the future of Manchester United as a club, with the Glazers and David Gill insisting that the money from the Ronaldo transfer is there for Sir Alex to spend, the fans will want to see suitable investment to rejuvenate a side that although running Chelsea to the last game of last season never looked like Sir Alex’s teams of the past.

Positions Needed: Midfielder, Striker

Completed Transfers:
Players In: Chris Smalling (£10m, Fulham), Javier Hernandez (£6m, Chivas), Marnick Vermijl (Undisc, Standard Liege)
Players Out: Ben Foster (£6m, Birmingham), Zoran Tosic (Undisc, CSKA Moscow), Tom Heaton (Cardiff City, Free)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Alexis Sanchez, Sotris Ninis
Players Out: Gabriel Obertan (Loan), Federico Macheda (Loan), Danny Welbeck (Loan)

Most of Fergie’s signings tend to come from out of nowhere, no more so than the three signings the club has already made. Although these signings are of young players and are more for the future, all three signings look set to have some involvement in the first team with the reduction in action of players such as Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs. The return to action of Owen Hargreaves will be like a new signing for United however there is a lack of creativity in the United midfield which will need to be addressed if United are to challenge on all fronts in the coming season. Expect Fergie to use the World Cup as a smokescreen to any future signings.

Newcastle United

Chris Hughton did a sterling job in returning his side to the Premiership at the first attempt. After the instability caused by Mike Ashley trying to sell the club and which saw 4 different managers in just 2 years, the club appears to have regained a semblance of normality and if Hughton is kept in charge the Toon have a good chance of avoiding relegation in the coming season.

Positions Needed: Defender, Midfielder

Completed Transfers:
Players In: None
Players Out: None

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Jlloyd Samuel, Vladimir Weiss, Henri Lansbury, Mevlut Erding, Andy O’Brien
Players Out: Andy Carroll

Hughton is yet to delve into the transfer market but there are rumours aplenty and it is only a matter of time before he makes his first signing of the season. Along with permanent signings, Hughton is also looking towards signings of up and coming stars on loan. These signings are likely to be made sooner rather than late with Weiss of Man City and Lansbury of Arsenal close to signing year long loan deals. PSG forward Mevlut Erding is also looking a prime target with Hughton already having a £5m offer rejected. Although Andy Carroll is considered a key player at St James Park, rumours are rife of a possible transfer to one of several vying Premier league clubs.

Stoke City

Tony Pulis’s side performed admirably last season finishing in 11th place, however they only managed 34 goals leaving them 2nd bottom of the league for goals scored with Mattie Etherington picking up top league goalscorer for the club with 5 goals. They were only saved by their mean defence which points to potential transfers this summer being aimed at their strike force.

Positions Needed: Striker

Completed Transfers:
Players In: None
Players Out: Nathaniel Wedderburn (Free, Northampton Town), Amdy Faye (Released)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Joe Ledley, Roman Pavlyuchenko
Players Out: Tuncay, James Beattie

Joe Ledley is reportedly close to signing for Stoke after leaving Cardiff City after their failure to reach the Premier League. Roman Pavlyuchenko could also be another potential signing with a rumoured exit from Tottenham for £11m as Redknapp looks to refresh his strike force for the Champions League. Potentially on their way out are strikers Tuncay and Beattie, the later because of a supposed row with Pulis mid way through last season and the former being suited by Schalke.

Sunderland

Bruce will no doubt be disappointed with the final position of his side having finished in 13th. The main problem with the Sunderland side last season was lack of consistency between games and this is an area that will not be instantly sorted by making signings.

Positions Needed: Defender

Completed Transfers:
Players In: Simon Mignolet (Undisc, Sint Truidense), Cristian Riveros (Undisc, Cruz Azul), Ahmed Al-Muhammadi (Loan, ENPPI)
Players Out: Jamie Chandler (Free, Darlington), Roy O’Donovan (Free, Coventry)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Taye Taiwo, Nedum Onuoha, John Utaka
Players Out: Marton Fulop,Nyron Nosworthy, Daryl Murphy

With Anton Ferdinand only making 12 league appearances, Bruce is likely to look for a player who can compete for the centre back position such as Nedum Onouha. John Utaka is said to be praying for a move to Sunderland but with the array of strikers already there, he will lucky to secure the move he craves. Bruce has already signed three players, with Belgian U-21 goalkeeper Mignolet signing a 5 year contract, Paraguay midfielder Riveros signed from Cruz Azul and the latest signing Egyptian winger Al-Muhammadi on loan for the season after they beat West Brom to his signature.

Tottenham Hotspurs

Spurs were stand out performers of last season beating an extravagant spending City to fourth spot. However, to ensure that they compete on all four fronts in the coming season they will need to add depth to their squad. Giovani dos Santos is likely to spend the season at Spurs instead of being loaned out after good performances in the World Cup.

Positions Needed: Defender, Striker

Completed Transfers:
Players In: Sandro Raniere (£6m, Internacional)
Players Out: Lee Butcher (Free, Leyton Orient), Sam Cox (Free, Barnet)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Julio Baptista, Radamel Falcao, Stephane Sessegnon, Steven Pienaar
Players Out: Robbie Keane, Roman Pavlyuchenko

Robbie Keane and Roman Pavlyuchenko are both rumoured to be leaving the club as Redknapp looks to freshen his strike force in face of the Champions League challenge. However, this will much depend on whether they can attract players of a high enough standard to replace them. Another position that may need strengthening is the centre of defence with Ledley King still struggling to play 3 games in a week which will be expected with midweek European clashes. As well as this Jonathan Woodgate is still a worry for next season as he struggles to recover from a long term groin injury. So far Spurs have only signed promising defensive midfielder Sandro from Internacional but this will not be the last signing in what looks as if it will be a busy summer.

West Bromwich Albion

Albion finished in 2nd place in the Championship last season to gain automatic promotion to the Premier League at the first attempt. Roberto Di Matteo instilled an attractive style of football at the Hawthorns and as long as they stick to this style they stand every chance of being in the Premier League come the start of next season. Regardless of this, they will inevitably have to strengthen their squad to be able to compete against sides such as Chelsea and Man United.

Positions Needed: Defender

Completed Transfers:
Players In: Gabriel Tamas (Undisc, Auxerre), Pablo Ibanez (Free, A. Madrid), Stephen Reid (Free, Blackburn)
Players Out: Robert Koren (Released), Joss Labadie (Released), Andwele Slory (Released), Filipe Teixeira (Released)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Marton Fulop, James Beattie, Frederic Piquionne
Players Out: Borja Valero

WBA have already assured a stronger defence next season with two signings, Tamas and Ibanez who look to set up the centre back pairing for the coming season. Di Matteo appears to want to bring in new strikers with Premier League experience after reportedly pursuing James Beattie from Stoke and Frederic Piquionne from Lyon who spent last year on loan at Portsmouth. Marton Fulop is also reported to be on Albion’s list as Di Matteo seeks to give club captain Scott Carson some competition. Borja Valero is far from happy at Albion and Sevilla look likely to sign him despite already having an offer rejected.

West Ham United

Gianfranco Zola just about managed to keep his team in the Premier League last season, West Ham finishing in 17th place. With Gold and Sullivan taking up ownership, West Ham will no doubt sort out their financial problems of the past and the sacking of Zola and subsequent appointment of Avram Grant will surely improve matters on the pitch. West Ham’s biggest problem last season was a reliable strike force that despite knocking in more goals than Birmingham in 9th place would spend many games frustrated despite numerous chances.

Positions Needed: Striker

Completed Transfers
Players In: Thomas Hitzlsperger (Free, Lazio)
Players Out: Bondz N’Gala (Free, Plymouth Argyle), Guillermo Franco (Released)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Yakubu, Vincent Enyeama
Players Out: Valon Behrami

West Ham are known for their development of young British talent and with Avram Grant at the helm players such as Jack Collison, Freddie Sears and Junior Stanislas could get a lot more first team action. After releasing Ilan and Franco and Mido reaching the end of his loan spell the West Ham front line is limited and Grant will definitely look to bring an experienced striker. However, with the previous financial problems then players with large transfer fees are unlikely.

Wigan Athletic

Wigan were another team that narrowly avoided relegation last season ending their season with an 8-0 drubbing by Chelsea on the last day of the season. Strangely though they produced winning performances against Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea showing themselves to be more than capable of performing when needed. Wigan are looking as if they are going to continue their policy of recruiting unknown Central and South American talent with Boselli already signed from Estudiantes and centre back Alcaraz signed from Brugges.

Positions Needed: Defender

Completed Transfers
Players In: Antolin Alcaraz (Free, Brugge), Mauro Boselli (Undisc, Estudiantes)
Players Out: Tomasz Cywka (Free, Derby County), Mario Melchiot (Free, Umm Salal)

Prospective Transfers:
Players In: Emiliano Izaguierre, Jakob Poulsen, James McArthur
Players Out: Charles N’Zogbia

Wigan will struggle to keep hold of N’Zogbia this summer after proving last season that he was capable of playing at a much higher level. Wigan will likely start a bidding war in order to get the highest price with Juventus likely to start the bidding. Honduras international Izaguierre is rumoured to be close to signing with Danish international Poulsen likely to follow. To avoid relegation next year Wigan must try and improve in their performances against fellow relegation strugglers and signings should reflect this.

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Despite taking time out to become a co-commentator at the World Cup, manager Mick McCarthy was very busy at the end of last season having already procured 4 new players and spending a sum believed to be around £15m. Wolves are looking to secure a long term future in the Premier League and the 15th place finish was respectable for a newly promoted team. However, Wolves were the lowest scorers in the league with top scorer Kevin Doyle only reaching 9 goals. McCarthy must therefore look to sign experienced strikers to match the team’s stronger defensive abilities.

Positions Needed: Defender, Striker

Completed Transfers
Players In: Steven Fletcher (£6.5m, Burnley), Stephen Hunt (£3m, Hull City), Steven Mouyokolo (£2.5m, Hull City), Jelle van Damme (£2.5m, Anderlecht)
Players Out: Chris Iwelumo (£.5m, Burnley), Jason Shackell (UnDisc, Barnsley), Daniel Jones (Free, Sheffield Wednesday), George Friend (Free, Doncaster Rovers), Mark Little (Free, Peterborough United), Andrew Surman (Undisc, Norwich), Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (Loan, Peterborough)

Prospective Transfers
Players In: Aruna Dindane, Guirane N’Daw, Michael Mancienne
Players Out: None

Aruna Dindane is in the frame after revealing he was open to a move back to the Premier League but would not say which club he was likely to join until the end of the World Cup, although Wolves are believed to be the front-runners of the English teams vying for his signature. Wolves are waiting on Chelsea to decide Mancienne’s future and will only sign N’Daw if Mancienne stays at Stamford Bridge. With the club already spending a large amount for a smaller club, expect any future signing to total less than £5m.

1. Don’t worry everyone, by popular demand my guide to the transfer window will be up soon too!