The Nouse College Cup Awards

Start ’em Sit ’em looks back over this year’s College Cup

The College Cup, and the academic year for that matter, might be a distant memory but, before Start ’em Sit ’em can return to its year long hibernation, there’s just the small matter of recognising a few of the tournament’s outstanding achievers.

Firstly, congratulations to those that finished in the top three positions of our Nouse Fantasy Football competition. Frenchie’s awesome foursome of Ali Prince, Joe Cooper, Mark Johnson and Christy Cormac were the difference as ‘If you’re not first, you’re last’ won with relative ease.Miles McDermott capped a great personal tournament with a respectable second place and Dave Worsley took the third spot.

Well done also to Alcuin, who brushed aside Derwent last week to win their second consecutive College Cup. Their ‘Golden Generation’ have been the dominant force in college football for a number of years now and deserved to win this tournament, winning all of their games and picking up their game impressively in the later rounds. Some on the sidelines and Nouse comments claimed that Alcuin’s win was a victory for football, and there is no doubt that Alcuin played some of the best stuff throughout the competition. Yet this victory was also based on perfection of a simple, direct style and dominance at the set piece. Derwent, like in their first game of the competition, were simply unable to deal with the size of Jake Delaney and the pinpoint deliveries of Miles McDermott and Jack Crane. It’s all very well playing beautifully but, to win this tournament, you might also have to learn how to play ugly.

So with that we’ll leave it. Thank you to all that have read both this blog and Nouse‘s extensive coverage throughout the tournament. It’s been a great term of football and we all wait with excitement for the return on the College League in October. Until then, here are the Nouse College Cup Awards:

Fantasy Football Top Pick: Without a doubt Phil Taylor. The forward was at the centre of a young free-scoring Vanbrugh side that will already be fancied for big success next year. With 8 goals and a staggering 47 points, Taylor was by far this year’s star pick.

Fantasy Football Best Valued Pick: Wentworth had a great tournament and, in my opinion, could have gone even further than the quarter finals. Lachie Murray, the £2.9m defender, was statistically the best valued pick in the game. Playing up-front for most of the tournament, he ranked up an impressive 27 points.

Fantasy Football Worst Pick: Greg Gardner was valued at £9m, the second most expensive player available. Unfortunately for those who picked him, and of course for himself, he pulled out injured just before Derwent’s first game and would not play all tournament.

College Cup Golden Boot: No debate over this one, Phil Taylor’s eight was one better than nearest rival, and team-mate, Ali Prince.

Best game: Halifax were in a few classics – their defeats to Alcuin and Vanbrugh both stunned all those in attendance and few will forget their penalty victory over Goodricke – but this prize goes to a group stage fixture between Wentworth firsts and Alcuin seconds. With three sides eyeing the second qualification spot in Group A, the Astro was packed out to see Wentworth come back from a goal down to save their campaign.

Best goal: Certainly a few contenders, and feel free to debate this on the comments below, but I’m reliably informed by all of my reporters that they saw nothing better all tournament than Mark Johnson’s “Christiano Ronaldo-esque” free kick against Derwent in the quarters.

Best seconds/thirds player: Special mention should go to Nick Dheir, who was excellent throughout the group stages, but this has to go to Dave Worsley who for the first five weeks of the tournament, sat comfortably alongside College football BNOCs Mark Johnson and Phil Taylor at the top of the Nouse Fantasy Football player table.

And finally,

Nouse Player of the Tournament: We thought long and hard about this one. Taylor for his goals? Delaney for his interventions in the box at the key moments? Johnson for his group stage performances? Yet, for his outstanding displays, brilliant leadership and talent with the dead ball, the winner of the 2010 award goes to Miles McDermott. Excellent in last year’s competition, this time Miles led his side to their second consecutive trophy, his deliveries from the set piece being at the centre of their simplistic and direct style. Oh, and he picked up a rather decent 32 Fantasy Football Points as well.

Team of the tournament:

———————————————————-Ed Foster—————————————————————
Joe Boughtflower——-Chris Grayland——–Jake Delaney———Miles McDermott——–
—-Mark Johnson————Jack Beadle————-Christy Cormac————–Ali Laird————
—————————————-Ali Prince—————–Phil Taylor———————————————-

1. Good article, enjoyed it muchly.
    I reckon your 11 is very good and wouldn’t argue too much, but had I put the team together I would perhaps replace Christy (who played well) with Chris Barnett (who carried Derwent), Jake (who missed a couple of games then played midfield) with Dom P from Halifax (who was mega and won every header ever) and perhaps put Wyndy between the sticks. That said, Ed was class.

2. Great shout putting Boughtflower in the team of the tournament. Absolutely solid, never put a foot wrong. Note how a player playing 2nds throughout this year has lined up along side a team of uni players…