N-Dubz pull out of Summer Ball

Headlining act N-Dubz have pulled out of the annual Summer Ball this evening.

It was announced just before midnight that the British hip hop group would not be playing at the gig, along with Chew Lips and Scott and Abs from boy band 5lve.

A YUSU announcement projected on screens throughout York Racecourse said: “We have an incredibly disappointing announcement to make. Unfortunately only an hour or so ago we were informed that N-Dubz are pulling out of the gig.”

The announcement continued: “We are truly sorry. This is out of our hands… We quite simply have no idea why. We have not spoken to the band.”

Student outcry followed the news, especially from students who paid on the night. A second-year student, who paid over £42 to enter the venue on the night, told Nouse: “I wouldn’t have paid if we knew they were going to pull out… Basically, all we have paid for is for 5lve, which we could have got at a Vanbrugh event for £3.50.”

YSTV, who have been filming on the night, said: “It’s a shame but people haven’t come for N-Dubz… they’ve come to have a good time and celebrate their year(s) at Uni. YSTV are gutted that we have not had a chance to interview them but tonight’s not really about YSTV.”

YUSU’s announcement added: “Rest assured we are as gutted as you are.”

1. 5lve??
    “but tonight’s really about YSTV.”??

????????????????????????

2. 1 Jul ’10 at 2:50 am

Disgruntled & Deceived

This is an absolute disgrace.

Despite being reassured by a senior member of YUSU that N-Dubz are definitely performing, we have been let down by our student body. I have a strong feeling that YUSU were aware about this long before the ball itself but did not inform us to ensure attendance was strong.

It was clear from tonight that YUSU had not sold as many tickets as they would have liked; perhaps this was a requirement from N-Dubz?

I agree with the article that most people would have wanted to enjoy their year at university but does £42 justify this? We could have easily gone for a normal night out at Ziggys which would not have costed the amount we paid for the Ball ticket and drinks. £42 for potentially a few rides which were overcrowded and less than mediocre entertainment is frankly extortionate.

Where can we apply for some sort of refund?

3. When I heard N Dubz were the main act for the ball, I was a bit disappointed to be honest, and seeing ticket prices at £40 a pop, I thought that the ball was a bit of a rip off really. So I settled for Big D, with Chase & Status, a far superior band, and only £25.

Isn’t it obvious why Big D sells out, yet the ball struggles. It’s because Derwent delivers and YUSU don’t. In three years at York, the only big YUSU event (excluding Viking Raids) that I thought was worth the money was Summer Ball 2008.

YUSU need to get fixed contracts that have a heavy cancellation penalty. It’s a joke, and if bands know they can rob students out of their money by no showing, they’ll just keep doing it. I hope YUSU have the decency to reclaim the booking fee from N Dubz and pay it back to the York students who have been conned again.

I’m glad I didn’t go and saved £40.

4. ^ well said Matt Bailey! It seems almost inevitable that the headline acts at YUSU Freshers and Summer Balls WILL pull out, this latest farce will hopefully be so detrimental to interest in future events that they actually get their acts together to sort something out properly.

5. We had Alphabeat and other good bands turn up. We shouldn’t be putting up with this – but Wiley, the Noisettes, Noah and the Whale and now N-Dubz raise some serious questions. There needs to be some thought put into how this can be permanently resolved – and Dan Walker has a doubly difficult job with the uber Fresher’s Ball..!

6. “YSTV are gutted that we have not had a chance to interview them but tonight’s really about YSTV”

Nouse people, you missed a “not” between ‘about’ and YSTV.

Tonight was not about YSTV, I think YSTV would think so too.

7. freshers ball over again…

8. 1 Jul ’10 at 9:00 am

guys, you missed a "not"

tonight’s really about YSTV?

please fix.

9. it’s a joke you buffoons, of course it wasn’t about YSTV.

10. I can’t help but struggle to see what on earth my £42 has gone on. The acts were nothing special, the fairground rides and casino tables were overcrowded, the prices of food and drink were extortionate (over £5 for burger and chips- who charges that?!) and of course, yet again, a headlining act has pulled out last minute.

Sort it out, YUSU.

11. Gutted!!!! :'( :'(

12. I heard this is all Bretts’ fault, apparently someone forgot the fresh fruit rider, which would’ve been easily remedied by nipping over to the fresh fruit and veg stall. However, due to Bretts’ failure to establish such a stall fresh fruit could not be sourced and a sheepish sabb was forced to ring N-Dubz at the 11th hour and let them know that they’d have to make do with fruit pastilles.

Yet another example of Bretts mucking it all up for students. Incidentally, even the ISA are able to organise a headline act who bother to turn up and that organisation can’t even tell the difference between its arse and its elbow.

13. I find this news rather amusing.

14. “even the ISA are able to organise a headline act who bother to turn up and that organisation can’t even tell the difference between its arse and its elbow.”

Please justify this rude assertion.

Having been involved in the ISA for a few years now, I can tell you that we have organised some of the largest and most successful events on campus. Given that not a single one of them was a failure, I think it’s really a shame that you try to diminish our efforts with such incredibly cheap shots.

15. I just acknowledged that your events were ok. Read it again.

Elections, accounting, general representation on the other hand…

16. 1 Jul ’10 at 11:34 am

all over again

how do i go about getting my money back? If YUSU are going to tout big acts they must be prepared to refund ticket money if said act doesn’t turn up. If you booked a ticket at the O2 or any other gig venue and the band did not turn up you would be refunded your money. I feel cheated by my student body i effectively paid £42 to go on 4 rides. Most expensive fun fair ever. Lewis Bretts has put a serious downer on what should be an enjoyable last week for me!

17. Let’s face it, they’re god-awful anyway. I for one didn’t miss Dappy and his large array of bobble hats.

18. all over again, the thing is, you didn’t pay £42 for a gig. You payed £42 for a ‘ball’. N-Dubz were just one of many activities going on. At best you’ll get a partial refund, and even then I doubt it will be more than about £5.

19. 1 Jul ’10 at 11:49 am

hung over third year

I think its ridiculous but pretty inevitable, YUSU need to get a really good band which plays a variety of songs which everyone knows, not a tribute band, or a z list band which just annoys everyone. Of corse N-dubz were not going to turn up. Its an absolute joke, YUSU should email everyone who bought a ticket and offer some form of compensation. The night was wicked, fun was had by all but come on YUSU of corse they werent going to show, really who are you kidding. we should have a proportion (a decent one) refunded!!!

20. I think a campaign for a (partial) refund is definately on the cards. No one would have paid £42 for an event with no act, which this effectively was.

21. If you’re campaigning for a refund, then it’s only fair that anyone who went to the Freshers Ball in 2008 and 2009, and the Summer Ball in 2009, should also be eligible for a refund… Not going to happen.

22. @Chris

In terms of our elections, it is hardly the committee’s fault that some campaigning rules were broken last year.

In terms of general representation, we are now going to become part of YUSU in order to improve our ability to represent students. Currently we are facing the same problems with the GSA – that is to say, an unclear relationship with YUSU as well as a full boycott by the campus media.

In terms of the accusations of ‘dubious accounting’, the only thing I have to say is that you shouldn’t buy into the sensationalist bs published in Vision. The financial restructuring that is currently under way has to do with legal liability – it is simply not the case that there was any sort of doubt concerning the prospect of ‘fiddling’ with the accounts. In fact, it’s worth keeping in mind that all expenses claims have to be approved by the GSA manager, who is one of the signatories to our accounts.

23. PS: I realise that this has nothing to do with the article, so I won’t be continuing this discussion.

24. 1 Jul ’10 at 12:14 pm

all over again

but at least at this years freshers ball a replacement act was lined up to cover for wiley not turning up. Also at paul i know i paid for a ball tickets however as is pretty obvious from the YUSU advertisement N-Dubz where a significant part of the ball, also the other activities and acts where below par and most certainly did not justify the such high price paid for tickets. I would like a break down of the costings. Could someone who actually knows how YUSU works tell me if this is possible or not?

25. 1 Jul ’10 at 12:23 pm

Chris Etheridge

Hey guys, I’ve set up a Facebook group calling for YUSU to clarify why things went wrong:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129610553746266#!/group.php?gid=129610553746266

26. A crappy chav band didn’t turn up to the ball Chris, it’s hardly Bloody Sunday…

27. 1 Jul ’10 at 1:01 pm

Chris Etheridge

I am not making a statement about the quality of the band; more pointing out that if students pay up to £76.00 under the proviso that the band in question are attending, it’s only fair that they do so. If not then students deserve to know why they did not show up and how a repeat situation can be avoided.

28. 1 Jul ’10 at 1:03 pm

Alan Partridge

I know, youve got to read the papers, the kids are running around. Sunday BLOODY Sunday

29. 1 Jul ’10 at 1:10 pm

Chris Etheridge

Well, it’s also worth noting that this has occurred before with previous acts; I merely want to know why it happened and what YUSU intends to do to prevent it happening again.

30. Chris Etheridge – yawn.

Comment edited by a moderator

31. 1 Jul ’10 at 1:36 pm

Yet another no-show.

How DARE anyone complain? I can only assume that when Chris
    Etheridge and others said that students should have the right
    not to get ripped off they didn’t realise that “Uh” doesn’t like to
    listen to N-Dubz. Next time, I hope everyone will have enough
    sense to ask “Uh” for a list of his favourite groups, and then
    only complain if they’ve been ripped off by the non-attendance
    of a group which “Uh” enjoys. And you’re absolutely right, “Uh”.
    The people who got ripped off last night were not unarmed
    protestors who were shot by the British army in Derry in 1972,
    and therefore have no right to complain about anything, ever.

32. Would just like to applaud “Yet another no-show” for his expert knowledge on what actually occured on Bloody Sunday. Well done!

33. N Dubz have promised to attend Hull and other institutions and also failed to turn up. These bands appear to be a law unto themselves. At the end of the day if the bands are making enough money they can afford to simply pull out of gigs they are just not keen on. Its crap, but they know that the wrath Nouse and Vision plus a lawsuit from YUSU are not sufficient to dent their business model. It’s crap, but that’s life. Without some major change in the law, or some form of cross university co-operation when it comes to pressuring labels and managers to make good on their promises these disappointments will continue.

34. I don’t care for ‘N-Dubz’. They certainly didn’t make me buy a Summer Ball ticket. I was, however, planning on seeing them. They were a feature of the event, around which the fun was built. Like them or not, they were a major spectacle and a main part of the event.

After it became apparent they had pulled out, numbers at the event dwindled and there was a sense of anti-climax. I felt as if there was a significant hole in the night.

I don’t think one can blame YUSU, Bretts, Shanks and co. fully for this. It seems the chavs and their management have passed form with similar events; perhaps booking them was a mistake? But it is clear from what I can glean that the band and their management didn’t fancy fulfilling their commitment – as has been discussed ably by ‘Dappy’ above. This is clearly poor behaviour and arrogance at its worst.

On the subject of value, I believe the price of the ‘ball’ or event alone (sans dinner) was not good value. The free rides were entertaining. However, the billing of acts was poor. 5live, or 2wo, were utterly dismal. The other acts were weak – aside from the young lady cracking out some old school hits at the very end. The billing was disappointing for £42. If roughly half the ticket price was for acts (so £20 say) the line up pales in significance to what Derwent manages to achieve with a ticket at £23 total. If any more money was spent per ticket on acts, I’d be shocked. Future YUSU sabbs take note?

Moreover, drinks and food were extortionately priced and the venue felt rather soulless and empty (which was probably partially because people left after N-Dubz pulled out). The accoustics for the main stage were poor. Overall, the atmosphere wasn’t great as the night wore on, and the experience at the race course has convinced me that a move to campus would be much better option, for the event at least. It would be cheaper to stage – and to buy drinks – and provide a better venue for music acts.

In general, the event wasn’t great. It certainly wasn’t helped by N-Dubz fulfilling the stereotype of arrogant, over-indulged chavs by pulling out. It could have been much, much better – something one would rightly expect for £42.00.

That said, I had a good time at my Graduation event because of the company and the free fair-ground rides… not to mention a reasonable amount of alcohol.

On to Big D – my proper graduation party!

35. For a start N dubz are probably one of the most unsuitable people to play at the York Uni Summer Ball. Given York’s music scenes the best headliners would be a big indie group or large drum and bass name for example someone like Florence and the Machine or Chase and Status as big D has. The cost of the Ball ticket is overpriced and drinks within the venue are also extortionate. Yusu has a terrible reputation in giving students value for money at their events… in the last 2 freshers balls both Noah and the Whale and Wiley have pulled out and left students wondering where the £40+ that they spent on the ticket has gone. The major cost of the ticket went towards the cost of using the racecourse as a venue. This is the major flaw. If Yusu chose a different venue then the cost of a ticket would be lower and the students would pay less to go, which would mean more money to book better acts and acts that actually turn up. Yusu should just give up on events at the race course as they have time and time again dissapointed.

36. 1 Jul ’10 at 3:29 pm

Yet another no-show.

@ Will Teapot. The point of the Bloody Sunday description
    was to show how irrelevant it was to a party in York in 2010.
    You clearly think that the description had no point other than
    to show off some random historical knowledge, and that you
    should therefore puncture the pretension. In other words,
    you misread it because you were so busy trying to be clever.
    And you don’t know how to spell.

@ Meh. It IS the Union’s fault, especially when this is now
    such a regular occurrence, and should therefore have been
    anticipated as a possibility. Matt Bailey is right:

“YUSU need to get fixed contracts that have a heavy cancellation penalty. It’s a joke, and if bands know they can rob students out of their money by no showing, they’ll just keep doing it.”

37. Come see us @ iTunes Festival for free then.

38. @Yet another no-show. I was going to read your reply but I am still busy trying to be clever…

39. 1 Jul ’10 at 5:34 pm

Yet another no-show.

Keep trying.

40. 1 Jul ’10 at 5:49 pm

Martin McGuinness

I would like to applaud Yet Another No-Show in his accurate description of the events that took place on the day we call Bloody Sunday. The suggestion that I, or indeed the IRA, had any involvement whatsoever in the violence is a despicible lie fabricated by the RUC.

41. I put this comment on the vision site too but kind of felt that this was a greater hotbed of debate. my comments aren’t really about Bloody Sunday so much so i apologise if they aren’t completely relevant. I just wanted to express my sadness at YUSU for letting my university experience end on a low.

the whole event was terrible. the rides were the only thing of any value and certainly weren’t worth my £75. well done for managing to produce so many meals….but did it have to taste like crap or chew like boots? red carpet = joke, paparazzi = rip off, chocolate fountain = £5 novelty gift from argos, casino = tables could barely stand up let alone the croupiers, alcohol = one extreme or the other – too expensive or tasted like toilet water, entertainment = non-existent (although I did have a good bop along to 2wo)….all in all it was an absolute joke. it was a waste of time, money, energy and a clean shirt. I will be advising others not to bother with YUSU events and stick to the guys who can actually put an event together like Derwent. Hang your heads YUSU, you’ve ripped me off for the last time.

42. To Ndubz! A) your not that great. And B) as a band you have let down any of your fans from York Uni who payed a lot of money to go see you. You should feel ashamed. York Uni deserves better. Next time Yusu should book a TALENTED act that actually does show up not a bunch of idiots.

43. Well even Chase and Status didn’t turn up to Big D… lol jk…. it’s not an event organised by YUSU!

44. I heard rumours that N-Dubz weren’t going to turn up to the Summer Ball last week; I think it’s safe to say that none of the band members were ill, unless “can’t be arsed syndrome” has been diagnosed. If I had my suspicions about YUSU, surely someone in YUSU did? Would it not have been a good idea for them to have a Plan B in the event that N-Dubz pulled out, as they have at other universities?

45. It would have been good to have just booked Plan B. ;)

46. @Lol! Jk!

My friends seem pretty sure Chase and Status did turn up, did you mean someone else?

47. oh Anon, you make me smile…

48. I notice this is who YUSU contracted with…

Some abuse required for Mr Castillo?

http://twitter.com/richcastillo1

49. I agree thatYUSU should have harsher penalties for no-show acts. It has gone on long enough now and it is a trend that must be stopped.
    Good Luck Dan Walker.

However, I do not think the ball tickets were over priced. As an organiser of conferences and events – hosting something like Summer Ball is expensive (not only venue, but lighting, insurance, sound, and not to mention security staff etc). Although, yes, Big D has overshadowed the Summer Ball for the last few years, it would not be possible to host something such as Summer Ball on campus – not the summer ball as we know it, with as many rides, and without involving Central Hall as a venue (as proposed for Fresher’s Ball), there would not be a large enough stage.

Don’t forget though – if Summer Ball is hosted on campus – it would not be the same. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I do not know. But it would not have the same glass as hosting the event at the Racecourse – it would be just another night on campus.

50. 2 Jul ’10 at 9:02 pm

Atilla the Hun

I’m shocked anyone has any faith in YUSU at all.

1. There should be a partial refund

2. People should learn not to attend their events in the future, I went to Freshers ball and Access all areas and have had nothing to do with them since. There a massive disappointment, prepare for another year of it.

3. Next year get Madness to play at Fresher’s ball and maybe I’ll buy a ticket.

£75 for Dappy?… what a joke.

51. 2 Jul ’10 at 9:38 pm

Graduate student

The first stuff you say is right, but having the ball on
    campus would NOT be just another night on campus.
    You could not be more wrong. I was here when it was
    hosted next to Derwent, and it had an unforgettable,
    magical atmosphere to it. Nothing like the bigger, more
    impersonal, and corporatised version we have now.

Perhaps people now want that bigger, impersonal version.
    But the older version had a lot going for it. I certainly
    won’t forget it. Best social atmosphere I’ve ever felt on
    campus by an absolute mile.

52. 2 Jul ’10 at 9:38 pm

Graduate student

That was to Pyro, by the way.

53. Pyro, I attended a similar, end-of-year party at another university, where tickets cost 70 pounds. This included free food (relatively good quality – BBQ), unlimited free drinks, shows including bands, a hypnotist and silent disco, ‘extras’ such as ice-cream and swings and other similar attractions. Granted, they did not have to pay for the grounds, but given that alcohol and food was free, in comparison, the Summer Ball tickets do sound overpriced.

A.

54. YUSU should give up on these poor acts. Most of us wouldn’t choose to go and see them in a normal gig so why bother at the Balls? Instead, tribute bands like Bjorn Again, an MJ impersonator, Queen, you know, would be much better. Nobody comes to York for the music in the first place, and we do cheese so damn well. It would be cheaper, they’d show up and we’d have so much more fun if we got good entertainers and not a no show, overrated, chavvy spectacle such as N Dubz

55. Yer York does cheese so well… I know why dont we just smother loads more on the summer ball! What a joke. As if there isnt enough already. Yusu should be bringing the big names to York, complimenting York’s lack of a music scene and actually giving York things that it lacks. I doubt anyone from Leeds Uni will complain about there summer ball. They get acts like Florence and the Machine, Scratch Perverts and Nero, and who do we get? Ndubz. And they wonder why no one has any faith in Yusu…

56. I would rather set fire to myself than spend a night watching Florence and the Machine et al. Personal preference is important – and York doesn’t only have one taste. There were quite a few people who told me that they like NDubz – and frankly NDubz are a massive band at the moment. I personally hate them, both as people and as a ‘band’, but people have different tastes… One of my favourite bands to see was in fact Bjorn Again, who were excellent – and everyone knew the words. On the other hand, Alphabeat were the best live band that I’ve seen for years and were at our Freshers’ Ball.

We have to wait and see but one of the big bonuses about campus is that you can have multiple venues – if you don’t like one of the bands you can move on. We’ll presumably still have the fairground, the drinks, the smart dress etc. but now the drinks will be affordable, you won’t have to put up with ridiculous bus journeys and (especially for Freshers’) campus can be used effectively. Nobody complains about BigD being on campus and this year we’re looking at double the size for an event in our first week. People should be welcoming it and then analysing it in autumn instead of just insulting everything for the sake of it. And, as always, it’s harsh to criticise YUSU for the failure of bands – but there must be a way to stop them from pulling out!

57. If personal preferences are so mixed in york surely it would make more common sense to have a range of acts in a range of genres! At least then even if one of them didnt turn up it wouldnt be such a disaster and embarassment for yusu. Also events for £40+ are a bit much, no student should be greeted with being told to just thoughtlessly part with £40 odd pounds. Freshers ball almost seems like a con. Yusu needs to not only improve the events it offers but also keep the cost low.