Residents wait a year for facilities

Eric Milner-White Court residents are still waiting for facilities, Photo: Sam Newsome

The University has been criticised this week for their failure to respond to problems with facilities and amenities in Eric Milner-White Court.

A compensation report, leaked to Nouse, catalogues numerous problems affecting almost 80 students in the block, and highlights the University’s lack of response to broken ovens, showers, toilets and sinks, faulty windows and broken radiators, and kitchens without sufficient ovens, fridges, and storage space.

Many of these problems have taken a long time to be dealt with: some radiators reported broken before Christmas were only fixed during the Easter vacation and numerous other issues have still to be addressed. Rooms made mouldy from faulty window seals have not been checked, despite multiple complaints from residents. In another case, a shower that was leaking into a resident’s bedroom was fixed, only for the temperature gauge to be left faulty which has still not been addressed.

One resident expressed his anger at the University’s handling of the situation: “They gave us toasters instead of ovens. We now have three – we can make twelve pieces of toast simultaneously, but we only have three sockets so we can’t do anything else.”

Kitchen provision has also been criticised by residents. Some kitchens in the block have inadequate appliances and storage spaces for the number of residents using them, meaning that kitchens with the necessary provision have become overcrowded. In one kitchen without an oven, residents have been complaining to the University since the beginning of the academic year.

Residents have been told that these problems will be addressed over the summer vacation. However, one resident said that: “It’s rubbish, what about the people who are here now?”

David Garner, University Press Officer, stated: “The University is working to address the concerns of students living in Eric Milner-White Block. Remedial work to shower facilities on the top floor will be carried out during the summer vacation in order to minimise disruption to students. Alternative facilities have been provided on the floor below. The University will submit a report to the Compensation Panel in support of the affected students’ claims for a rebate on their rent.”

He went on to point out: “Facilities in Eric Milner Court were upgraded last year and are generally adequate provided they are used appropriately. But students who still have concerns have the right of appeal to the Compensation Panel.”