Langwith take step towards quarter-finals but Halifax seconds stay in reach

There is fierce competition for the two qualification spots in Group D, with Langwith and Halifax seconds both strengthening their chances today

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

There is fierce competition for the two qualification spots in Group D. Two matches of very different quality were played on the JLD today, with Langwith and Halifax seconds both strengthening their chances of progressing to the quarter-finals.

LANGWITH FIRSTS 3 GOODRICKE SECONDS 1

Billed as a potential upset, Langwith firsts comfortably asserted their position as favourites to progress from Group D with a 3-1 win over Goodricke seconds.

Goodricke’s impressive performances so far had led some to believe that they would be able to qualify for the knock-out stages at the expense of one of the firsts teams. Yet Langwith took a huge step towards the quarter finals with a clinical performance that will turn the heads of those that had already written them off.

In a fast-paced game containing bursts of real quality, it was the slick partnership of Bruce Starkey and Patrick Sloan that were the difference, both players raising their game in the second half to see off a Goodricke side that had dominated possession in the first.

The moment of the match was Langwith’s second goal, a likely contender for goal of the tournament. From just outside Patrick Sloan half-volleyed the ball neatly past the keeper, a excellent way to cap what had a been a fine individual performance. Shortly after his miss-hit shot found Bruce Starkey who again beat the keeper, only for his attempt to correctly be ruled offside. It hardly mattered however, as less than five minutes later Starkey had found the target again and put his side two goals up.

It was this dominant period at the start of the second half that was the difference for Langwith, as they had struggled for periods in the first. Goodricke began well and managed to control the midfield in the first twenty minutes. After hitting the crossbar early on, they nearly bundled the ball over the line, but Jez Hann was there to prevent the goal. Langwith were to go into the break ahead however, as a wonderful move started by Hann and ended by Starkey gave them their first real chance of the game, and their first goal.

Despite Langwith taking control after the interval, Goodricke regained their former energy in the final stages of the match. Nick Dheir sent an excellent dipping shot past Langwith’s Tom Lambert to grab a consolation but, even with the team’s subsequent increase in tempo, it was too late for Goodricke.

After the game Langwith captain Liam Condron said it had been a “much improved performance” from his side but said he was “disappointed not to keep a clean sheet.” Goodricke captain Nick Dheir declined to comment. LC

Langwith firsts line-up: Tom Lambert, Luke Gardener, Matt Willcox, Liam Condron, Laurence Chetwynd, Jez Hann, Dany Mullen, Stuart Cottrell, Callum Sheridan, Bruce Starkey, Patrick Sloan

Subs used: Tommy Chrimes

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Patrick Sloan

Goodricke seconds line-up: Matt Brennan, Andy Case, Sam Astbury, Ollie Braid, Matt Thomas, John Sharp, Nick Dheir, Adam Botterill, Sam Lewis, Dave Coupland, Matt Sutherland

Subs used: Doug Lawson

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Sam Lewis (points given to Adam Botterill due to Lewis being crossover)

Goodricke v Langwith, 25/05/2010, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle
Langwith first move to joint top of Group D with two games left to play. They are against their main qualification rivals James firsts and Halifax seconds.

HALIFAX SECONDS 2 DERWENT THIRDS 0

Halifax seconds overcame Derwent thirds 2-0 in a tawdry affair on a chilly JLD earlier today. The match never really got going, with proceedings documented by the ball being hoofed out of the Astroturf.

Fraser Moyle secured the lead for The ‘Fax with a fine finish. He controlled the ball on the edge of the area before shooting back across goal, the ball cannoned off both posts before eventually trickling over the line. Both Moyle and Sahil Shah claimed the goal but it the ball crossed the line before Shah touched it over.

Apart from Halifax’s goal there was very little action in the first half. A Moyle shot that just cleared the bar from the edge of the area was one of few highlights. Just before half-time Eamoon Geoghegan sent in a free-kick and a Halifax player seemed to be tripped in the box, it looked as if the referee went to point to the spot but changed his mind and played advantage; despite Joe Wood’s dipping 35 yard volley narrowly sailing over the advantage came to nothing.

Geoghegan was in the game again, early in the second half. A lung-busting run down the left wing saw him square the ball into the middle of the box but with the goal gaping a Derwent defender just managed to clear his lines. A free-kick straight off the training ground saw Geoghegan flick the ball up before seeing the wall do its job and block his effort.

Derwent has posed little attacking threat but nearly equalised when an attempt from a corner was blocked on the line. With the game seemingly petering out to a 1-0, Shah latched on to the end of a long ball with the Derwent keeper in no man’s land and prodded home to make it 2-0.

Halifax’s skipper Jamie Gibbs described it as “a good performance” declaring that they had “got the result and that’s the main thing that counts”. Gibbs will be hoping his side can use today as a springboard for next their match against Goodricke seconds. Matt Jenkins, of Derwent, was proud of his side’s efforts commenting: “We put the effort in and I think we were unlucky not to get a result out of that”. HC

Derwent v Halifax, 25/05/2010, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle
Halifax seconds’ performance was not vintage, but the win keeps them in the hunt for the second qualification spot. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

Halifax seconds line-up: Dean Hanson, Alex Simon, Tom Patrickson, Dom Petschak, Jamie Gibbs (Sam Dempster), Alex Petitcolin, Eamonn Geoghegan, Ben Rea, Joe Woods, Fraser Moyle (Harry Gompertz), Sahil Shah (Harry Winstanley)

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Sahil Shah

Derwent thirds line-up: Stuart Bruce, Matt Jenkins, Andy Jeffreys, Joe Rahman, Adam Cliff, Jim Norton, James Beggs, Conor Scanlon (Andy Cooper), John Garnis, Michael Regan (Steve Weavis), Sam Hodson

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Conor Scanlon

1. 25 May ’10 at 10:13 pm

Langwith JCRC Member

If their captain won’t say it, i will:
    Goodricke were robbed today. I was appalled to watch such an average langwith side take an undeserved step towards the quarter finals.

2. 25 May ’10 at 10:44 pm

Another Langwith JCRC Member

Personally I thought it was a good performance from a Langwith side who seem to be jelling into a decent team. With the pace of Bruce Starkey and Patrick Sloan Langwith can have a good run this year and maybe cause a few shocks.

3. 25 May ’10 at 10:49 pm

Barry Venison

The Dheir thinks he’s bloody Alex Ferguson with his ‘declining to comment’ attitude.

4. 26 May ’10 at 9:18 am

Landwith JCRC member

The pace of Sloan? Are you having a laugh?!?!

5. Dheir is the man! He was right to be disappointed given that Langwith are shit