Football could save our finances

Whilst a few of the arguments opposing the construction of a 6,000 person capacity stadium near the University are undeniably founded on some levels, the positive ramifications of such a structure are undeniably greater. The social and economic benefits far outweigh the negatives.

The Heslington East development is just that – a development. It would be almost hypocritical of the University to suggest that further controlled growth is a bad thing. A new stadium would provide, first and foremost, a suitable and excellent sports facility. The University of York’s current situation in sporting facilities is not particularly terrible, but we stand to gain so much more. Indeed, York’s sporting performance could also potentially stand to benefit. Spatially, the stadium would also create another, more modern and vast venue for University events.

The stadium would encourage infrastructural development, making the area more nodal and accessible, allowing us to further eschew a pre-conceived delightful backwater status. In addition, this would cut £2m off the cost of University swimming pool.

Development is necessary if we are to continue excelling as a world top 100 university. Modernisation and progression is key for our institution, and we would be silly to ignore it.