Fibbers nightclub under new management

Fibbers has been sold to Tokyo Industries and will now undergo major refurbishment and programming changes this summer, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

The nightclub Fibbers has been sold and will undergo both a major refurbishment and programming changes over the summer.

The venue, which has hosted some of York’s most popular student nights, such as ‘Melt’, ‘Idioteque’ and ‘Tequila’, was sold by its current London-based operator Barfly to Tokyo Industries last week. The new owners state that they plan to “expand the venue’s live music status, while seriously increasing its clubbing potential for boutique and destination DJ driven nights for music lovers.”

Aaron Mellor, the Managing Director of Tokyo Industries Ltd, commented: “Fibbers has been well-established over the last 18 years. We’re keen to let people know we’re in this to preserve what clubbers and live music fans, like me, love about Fibbers. It’s a great club with a great reputation and booking policy, and we remain respectful of that.”

He continued to state that the company’s aim was to “give the venue some much needed TLC”, including “a new Funktion One sound system and total refurbishment, designed to expand the music programming in both live and club night formats.”

He also said that the management were “exploring ways to increase the venues currently restrictive capacity to assist in the booking of higher profile talent.”

A full re-launch party is being planned at Fibbers for late summer once the refurbishment has been completed. Until then, the venue will stay open with its existing live programme, and some “minor adjustments to its current club format.”

The takeover has been met with skepticism by some York students. “It sounds like they’ll make Fibbers into just another club like Salvation or Gallery, and York really doesn’t need more of those,” said one Archeology student.

Others, however, have expressed a different opinion. “I think York’s turning into a much more interesting town in terms of nightlife. There doesn’t seem to be such a big monopoly on the student night’s anymore and I think that’s a bit more exciting.”

1. 25 May ’10 at 12:32 pm

Jim Bulley Fan

“The venue, which has hosted some of York’s most popular student nights, such as ‘Melt’, ‘Idioteque’ and ‘Tequila’, was sold by its current London-based operator Barfly to Tokyo Industries last week.”

You forgot HAMMERTIME!!!

2. As long as the live music bit is not changed or put less focus on, then I’m happy. Especially with a new sound system. The sound system right now is not that great

3. Fibbers is one of the best ‘small’ venues for live music in the country right now, and the main thing keeping the music scene in York alive. It does not need changing. I agree that higher profile bands need to be pulled here, but you’re not going to manage that by expanding fibbers (seriously, if you know where fibbers is you’ll know how impossible that idea is). Maybe The Duchess should start booking some actual bands and being a real live music venue instead of the club night, club night, cover band thing they seem to have going at the moment.

4. Nooo :(
    Fibbers is an amazing venue and I love the fact that it is small. I like it the way it is :( There is already the Duchess which is a bit bigger which is practically next door so why do they need to expand Fibbers??
    :(

5. The take over of Fibbers will be monumental for music in York. We’ll be able to get better, more exciting gigs. This will be combined with a completely new club format to provide a much more exciting range of genres throughout the week.

Check out what Tokyo Industries have been doing in other cities over the past few years:

http://www.tokyoindustries.com

We hope you will all be as positive and excited about this as we are.

6. Still going to be small. Duchess is also still too small for any proper acts. It’s a good venue and will continue to be so – but will never be an amazing venue or a large venue. Hopefully we’ll see it return soon and continue to get better, though!

7. The Duchess is not “too small for any proper acts”. If I remember correctly both Glamour Of The Kill and We Are The Ocean played there in its opening week! GoTK have since gone on to play the main stage at a major UK festival, and WATO are one of the countires quickest growing up-and-coming bands.

Not only that, but Fibbers, a much smaller venue, has played host to 36 Crazyfists, YouMeAtSix, GoTK, Cancer Bats, InMe and Aiden just to name a few over the three years that I’ve been in York. Maybe these bands aren’t Lady GaGa or N-Dubz or whatever it is you all listen to these days, but that doesn’t mean they’re not ‘proper acts’. They’re all pretty huge acts to play such a small venue and I, for one, am glad that bands don’t always disregard York from their tour schedules.

That being said, if York does want to attract ‘bigger’ acts such as whatever you hear on the radio these days, York’s going to need some kind of arena-sized venue, and I don’t see that happening for a while, which is a shame for the music scene in York. At least there’s Leeds…

I am interested to see what’s going to be done with Fibbers, I just don’t think that anything can be done with it to pull in any bigger bands which, in my opinion at least, is a good thing. Places like Fibbers give up-and-coming bands a chance to shine, and I’ve seen so many bands play at Fibbers and then make it big.