Halifax and Vanbrugh produce College Cup goal flood

Halifax hit a depleted Langwith seconds for six in the first of today’s Group B double header, but Vanbrugh went one better, thrashing Goodricke thirds 7-0

Photograph by Peter Iveson

Photograph by Peter Iveson

HALIFAX FIRSTS 6 LANGWITH SECONDS 0

Langwith seconds turned up to the JLD today to face Halifax firsts and, in the words of Jose Mourinho, they parked the bus. In a game that was more reminiscent of a training ground attack versus defence routine than a competitive fixture, the Langwith boys were able to reduce Mark Lund’s men to only six goals.

Alex Tringham opened the scoring for Halifax before a Conor Brennan bicycle kick made it two. Tom Ragan bagged two to make it three and four before a fifth from Jack Beadle. With time running out there was still time for Ragan to secure himself a hat-trick and the score ended 6-0

With Langwith describing themselves variously as “brave”, “valiant”, “spirited” and “useless” they were always going to be up against it when faced with Halifax’s attacking armoury. It was one-way traffic with Langwith telling their front man to “kick it” if he was ever able to get on the ball.

Halifax lined up with a 3-5-2 formation with Lund starting on the bench. Langwith certainly didn’t have the luxury of resting their captain as they started with only ten men, with another having to leave the pitch to be sick. Despite the gulf in class it took twenty minutes for Halifax to break the deadlock, Tringham putting his side ahead in what was jokingly described as “a panicky long range effort” from Langwith’s players after the defeat.

Soon after the floodgates began to open as Conor Brennan struck a superb bicycle kick to double his side’s lead. Nevertheless at the break the score was only 2-0 to Halifax and Langwith would have been proud of keeping the score down.

After the break, however, Langwith were powerless to prevent four more goals as Halifax pushed on a gear. Ragan, who kept Michael Palmer and Liam Condron busy throughout the game, scored a header and then followed in from close range to make it 4-0.

With virtually every Halifax player camped on the edge of the Langwith box it was Beadle who twisted and turned to earn himself some space and then dispatched a nice finish into the corner of the net. Ragan then tapped home from a few yards out to extend their lead and improve their goal difference. Condron lightheartedly suggested that perhaps the result had “flattered them” but his side can be proud of their efforts. Lund said of his side’s victory: “It’s difficult when a team sets out with all their players behind the ball and we struggled because of it, but with a 14 goal goal-difference and having not conceded it’s a solid start, but no more than that”. HC

Halifax v Langwith, 20/05/2010, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Conor Brennan opens his skill locker to try and break through Langwith’s defence on Thursday. He scored one of his teams six goals. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

Halifax Firsts: Eddie Kris, Dan Turley (Dom Petschak), Alex Tringham, Eamonn Geoghegan, Ash Daly, Jack Beadle, Joe Brennan, Alex Reid (Mark Lund), Ian McKellow, Conor Brennan, Tom Ragan.

Nouse fantasy league Man of the Match: Tom Ragan.

Langwith Seconds: Tom Lambert, Matt Wilcox, Michael Palmer, Liam Condron, Patrik Khosravi, Andy Heppel, Mike Grimes, Duncan Sills, Paul Flood, Michael Cotterill, Tom Pratt.

Nouse fantasy league Man of the Match: Tom Lambert

VANBRUGH FIRSTS 7 GOODRICKE THIRDS 0

On another sultry College Cup afternoon, Goodricke thirds were left red-faced as Vanbrugh firsts strolled to a seven-goal rout. And it was their number seven, Ali Prince, who inflicted the most misery with a well-taken hat-trick in a mega Fantasy Football points bonanza man of the match performance.

The slingshot throw-ins of Dan Hewitt proved a weapon of mass destruction, setting up Prince’s two first-half headers in a routine honed to perfection on the training ground. Within the confines of the JLD, any player who bases their game on Rory Delap is bound to prosper and Hewitt caused havoc again early in the second period as Phil Taylor nodded home the fifth. Goodricke had only been two in arrears at half-time but were stunned by a three-goal blitz at the beginning of the second, with Prince completing his hat-trick from close range, Ben Stanier, who was excellent on the right wing, and Taylor pushing the score to five. Additional strikes from Dan Radford and substitute Jamie Clarke capped things off.

With a squadron of vintage RAF aircraft gracing the College Cup on kick-off, it was appropriately an aerial approach which opened Vanbrugh’s account – Prince heading in unmarked from the first of Hewitt’s arrows. With Liam Regan threatening on a regular basis, it required some defiant Goodricke defending to keep their opponents at bay – Jamie Harbour and Dave Driver, named man of the match, were especially vigilant as Vanbrugh bossed possession. Prince should have doubled the lead, but saw his curler pushed onto the crossbar by goalkeeper John Cook before the off-balance Taylor sliced the rebound over. Cook also got down well to deny Hewitt’s piledriver, before Paul Taylor was forced into similar evasive action against Driver at the other end.

The contest effectively ended on the stroke of half-time, however, when Prince flicked the ball home from another Hewitt throw-in. Goodricke looked drained and beaten, sheepishly emerging for the second 30 to be met with a barrage. Prince tapped home his third, Stanier contributed a cool finish after bursting through undetected and Taylor headed in another Hewitt throw.

The goals kept coming: from a corner, Radford bundled in the sixth aided by a defensive leg before Regan sprinted through on the left, squaring to Clarke to fire high into the net. There could have been further damage but Vanbrugh eased off and conserved energy, already satisfied with their afternoon’s work. AJS

Van1 v Good3 - Peter Iveson

Vanbrugh celebrate one of their seven goals in this afternoon’s match against Goodricke thirds. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

Vanbrugh Firsts: Paul Taylor, Dan Hewitt, Dan Radford, Ben Lowe (Ash Lockyer), Ben Stanier, Phil Taylor, Jonny Grout, Liam Regan, Vest Waterson (Jamie Clarke), Ali Prince

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Ali Prince

Goodricke Thirds: John Cook, Dave Driver, Dave Latto, Tom Elliot, Harry Shaw (Tim Marshall), Jamie Harbour, Josh Savage, Tom Saint, Luke Hurst, Greg Kearney, Fred Groom (Nacho Hernando)

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Dave Driver

1. 20 May ’10 at 8:40 pm

Goodricke Hes East

My fantasy team is glad George Dyke didn’t make an appearance

2. You’ve done Phil Taylor an injustice on just how far he can miss an open goal by. Following Prince’s marvelous free kick in the first half, Taylor chose to find the Roger Kirk centre instead of the gaping net.

I also heard a rumour Mike Ragan and Tom Ragan may be the same person

3. Why is Prince’s blatent handball not mentioned for his second goal? Poor refereeing it must be said, but also Prince should have owned up.

4. Thanks to Dan Radford’s efforts I’m now up to 236th in Fantasy Football – cheers Radderz

5. I really dont think Mike ‘Vest’ Waterson gets enough praise for what he does for the team, and I genuinely think this. Time and time again, he sacrifices himself for the team, playing in the holding position, earning his name ‘The White Makelele’.

Without him and his efforts, I guarantee you that Goodricke 3rds would have scored goals. Forget the headline grabbing efforts of Prince, Stanier and Phil and focus on the players who would die for this club.

Cheers Boys x

6. 21 May ’10 at 5:48 pm

Mike Waterson

Forget what Dan said, I’m officially an idiot.

7. When did Ragan assist Clarke? They play for different colleges.

8. I echo Dan Hewitt’s sentiments

9. 23 May ’10 at 2:34 pm

I Made Mike Waterson everything he is

Point made

10. 23 May ’10 at 2:58 pm

Crumpled Foreskin

Go away Vanbrugh, no-one likes you….

11. 23 May ’10 at 6:01 pm

I made Mike Waterson everything he is

No-one likes…your Mum.