Six uncontested positons in York Sport Committee elections

Treasurer will be the only contested position in this year’s York Sport Committee elections as the team working with Sam Asfahani takes shape

Voting is currently underway to find out who will form the York Sport Committee under Sam Asfahani next year though, disappointingly, there is only one contested position in the election.

Treasurer was the only role which generated any kind of excitement at Monday night’s hustings, held in Langwith, as incumbent Rosamund Wood was challenged by Will Cusworth. Wood hopes to continue her tireless work from this year by increasing budget transparency through termly meetings with the treasurers of all clubs and strengthening links with the York Sport Fundraising Officer to generate additional resources. She also intends to continue and improve the treasurer training events initiated by her predecessor Michael Leahy.

Cusworth, who has experience of handling large budgets with three York Sport clubs, would continue plenary training for treasurers and presidents as well as providing one-on-one advice at any point during the year. He also wants to raise awareness of available grants and funds, so no club ‘suffers in silence.’

Despite a home Roses tournament in 2011, only two of the three Tournament Secretary positions were contested, with Netball Club Presidential candidate Kate Copson and the next Hockey Club Female President Laura Pepper standing in tandem. Both pledged to organise Roses with clubs in mind, ensuring that the competition with Lancaster doesn’t clash with exams.

All the remaining positions will be uncontested on the ballot paper. Chris Maughan, standing for Fundraising Officer, wants more York Sport links with the local community, including York City Football Club and the York City Knights rugby league side. He also believes that the money is out there to finance Sam Asfahani’s vision of a 3G pitch on campus.

Cesca Dessain, last year’s Fusion President and Netball first team player, is standing for Events Officer, promising to work on the York Sport Dinner and raise the profile of our college sport scene through new events at Varsity and Roses.

As Communications Officer, Leila Asrari commits to building on Lewis Colam’s efforts this year in building bridges with the York Press, reviving the York Sport Show in collaboration with YSTV and procuring a regular sports round-up spot in the YUSU newsletter.

The only candidate for College Sport Officer was Halifax football captain Mark Lund, who pledged to better publicise college fixtures through the York Sport website and try and secure a grant from Heslington Hall to fund better equipment.

Josephine Brayshaw, another Netball first teamer, is standing for Development Officer but was unable to attend the hustings due to a Geography field trip to Tenerife.

You can cast your vote now here.

1. At least York Sport, unlike RAG, has people running for the important positions…