Johnson shines again for James as Langwith earn winning start

Mark Johnson’s brace was enough for James to see off the challenge of Goodricke seconds in Monday’s Group D clashes, before Langwith firsts beat Derwent thirds 3-1

Dave Coupland rushes across to try and dispossess Mark Johnson during this afternoon's James-Goodricke clash. Photograph by Maggie Aslet

Week four started with a College Cup Group D double-header down on the Astroturf.

JAMES FIRSTS 2 GOODRICKE SECONDS 0

Mark Johnson proved, once again, how important he could be to James’s bid for this year’s College Cup with a stunning brace that left a toothless Goodricke seconds side reeling. James’s dominance in terms of possession did not translate into obvious chances and it was left to Johnson to smash home two strikes that aren’t likely to be bettered too many times on the on the JLD this year.

Goodricke will be pleased with their general performance but will perhaps rue their lack of class in the offensive third, a charge that could not be levelled at James with University firsts’ captain Mark Mcleod and Johnson on the field. Mcleod almost conjured a magnificent opener as his sweetly driven pass set up a break away for James Offord, who should have gone closer with his angled shot.

Nick Dheir’s team had chances of their own as Dave Coupland went close after a scuffed clearance from James Loftus. They could have gone in at half-time ahead after a superb effort from Adam Botterill left Dom McMahon stranded in the James but drifted just over.

After such a late first-half scare Johnson’s first moment of brilliance came at the perfect time to settle any lingering James nerves. He planted an effort in to the top corner from the left hand angle of the box for his first, simultaneously silencing vocal Goodricke keeper Matt Brennan and igniting the approval of the onlooking crowd. His second was even better and after receiving a typically astute Mcleod pass he easily turned his man before repeating the trick with a rasping drive.

Maggie_Aslet_DSC_7275

Matt Brennan, the Goodricke goalkeeper, went unpunished for this challenge, the referee adjudging the James forward of deliberately running into him. Photograph by Maggie Aslet.

James Firsts: Dom McMahon, Joe Jenkinson, Oscar Lynch, James Loftus, John Carroll, Alex Collins, Mark Mcleod, Richard Baxter, Simon Mole (Angus O’Brien), Mark Johnson, James Offord

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Mark Johnson

Goodricke Seconds: Matt Brennan, Michael Brooks, Andy Case, Sam Astbury, Sam Lewis, Nick Dheir, Adam Botterill, Ollie Braid (Christian Hammer), Dave Coupland, Matt Sutherland

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Matt Sutherland

LANGWITH FIRSTS 3 DERWENT THIRDS 1

Although the game that followed Johnson’s masterclass did not have the same level of technical ability on show it more than made up for it in terms of drama. Derwent Thirds frustrated an out of sorts Langwith Firsts consistently for almost the whole of the first half an hour period. Freddy Harris troubled their defence throughout and went close on a couple of occasions before Luke Gardener gave Langwith the lead with an audacious 30-yard effort that really should have been saved by the hapless Stuart Bruce.

Eventually Langwith hit their stride and were rewarded by a moment of genius from Paddy Sloan on the left as he controlled the ball, beat his man and fired home at the near post with alarming fluidity to make it 2-0. Derwent had chances of their own though and could reasonably argue that they deserved more from the game. Matt Jenkins’ long throws caused problems all day and Derwent twice hit the post after flick-on’s from Delap-esque deliveries. Mike Regan did pull one back for the underdogs and perhaps even Langwith would not have begrudged their opponents that, depite more than a strong hint of handball in the build up.

In the end though Langwith’s class showed and they restored their two goal margin with a nicely worked team goal direct from the restart. Sam Rooney was the man to chip home from the back post to leave the scoreline at 3-1 and to save some Langwith blushes.

Maggie_Aslet_DSC_7444

Langwith were frustrated by a resolute Derwent Thirds team, but eventually ran out 3-1 winners in Monday’s second fixture. Photograph by Maggie Aslet.

Langwith Firsts: Tom Lambert, Luke Gardener, Liam Condron, Tom Parker, Matt Wilcox, Danny Mullen, Callum Sheridan, Stewart Cotteril, Lawrence Chetwynd (Sam Rooney), Paddy Sloane, Bruce Starkey

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Patrick Sloane

Derwent Thirds: Stuart Bruce, Matt Jenkins, Andy Jeffries, Joe Rahmen, Steve Weavis (Dan Crehan), Andy Cooper (Conor Scanlan), James Beggs, Jim Norton, Freddy Harris (Mike Regan), Sam Hodson, Adam Cliff

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Joe Rahmen

1. That is absolute slander. I have never seen Lofty scuff a clearance. He either plays it out from the back or makes sure it is a clearance! I think you need to get your facts straight..

2. rumours are circulating that james star man, mark johnson, is about to be making headlines for all the wrong reasons. the johnson sex scandal is due to be published in this sundays news of the world. it is believed he has impregnated a 15 year old gcse student.

3. some say gerrard esque. on and off the pitch

4. some of the derwent thirds players didnt get points for starting in this game on the fantasy football, sort it out lads

5. A few of them weren’t counted because they’re listed as 2nds players, but Sam Hodson was missed out so thanks for that

6. I would like to apologise to all of James for my ‘scuffed clearance’ which nearly led to Goodricke scoring! Sorry lads, I will try and get solid contact next time I attempt to clear the ball.

7. It’s allright lofty, chin up mate.

Also, the nouse boys are getting a bashing….leave ’em alone, i think they’re doin a top job.

Carlos.

8. Who is this Jizzler fella? Sounds like a right rumour circulating s**t lad