Goal glut for Goodricke seconds as Vanbrugh teams tie

Goodricke seconds hit Derwent thirds for six as College Cup Group D got underway, while Vanbrugh seconds required a last-minute equaliser to spare their blushes against the thirds

Photograph by Peter Iveson

Photograph by Peter Iveson

VANBRUGH SECONDS 1
VANBRUGH THIRDS 1

In this all-Vanbrugh affair, it was Tom Spring’s thirds who came within a few seconds of securing a College Cup shock. With time slipping away, however, Max Poynter Hall, a player listed in the thirds squad, rose highest at a corner to spare the seconds’ blushes with a well-taken header.

With Vanbrugh packs shuffled and divided pre-match, the first-half was surprisingly balanced, if uninspiring. The thirds rearguard held firm, with Man of the Match Josh Gilboy unflinching against the pace of Sascha Bonomally and Jamie Clarke, and they showed glimpses of invention up top too, with Max Walter covering great distances to find space. Walter sent over a dipping shot early on, before James Wilson stretched out a leg to deflect Clarke’s powerful effort wide at the other end.

The seconds resorted to long ball tactics all-too readily, the ball bypassing Clarke and Vest Waterson in the advanced midfield positions regularly, leaving the strikers to toil with little success. Isaac Parkinson and Bonomally showed some understanding, with the former denied at close quarters by Wilson and the latter squandering a gilt-edged opportunity on the stroke of half-time, but the lead wasn’t forthcoming.

Waterson and Parkinson went close at the beginning of the second-half, but it was the thirds who took the lead. For the first time in this year’s competition, a player was penalised for a slide tackle – referee Mark Lund not hesitating in enforcing College Cup law. Spring produced a textbook penalty, beating Tom Margiotta, despite the goalkeeper guessing correctly, and the surprise was on.

Inevitably, the thirds clung grimly to their slender advantage as their clubmates poured forward: Bonomally was fallible in front of goal again and a swirling Waterson free-kick was tipped over the crossbar by the obdurate Wilson. However, it wouldn’t be enough – with goalkeeper Margiotta causing consternation in a congested penalty area, Poynter Hall read the flight of the corner and secured a point that did neither team any favours in Group C.

Maggie_Aslet_023

Heartbreak for Vanbrugh thirds as Max Poynter Hall heads home from a corner to equalise in the final minute. Photograph by Maggie Aslet.

Vanbrugh Seconds: Tom Margiotta, Ziggy Heath, Arne Bartelsman, Ash Lockyer, Matt Comber (Kimi Tang-Wright), Vest Waterson, Jamie Clarke, Max Poynter Hall, Sascha Bonomally, Isaac Parkinson
Substitute (not used): Phil Madden

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Max Poynter Hall

Vanbrugh Thirds: James Wilson, James Salt, Pete Stockbridge, Josh Gilboy, Max Walter, Ollie Krendel, Alex Willings, Joe McGrady (James Askew), Tom Spring, Ben Kirkby, Andy Dakin

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Josh Gilboy

GOODRICKE SECONDS 6 DERWENT THIRDS 0

Ruthless Goodricke cantered to a six-goal success over sorry Derwent thirds on Friday afternoon as College Cup Group D got underway. Braces by skipper Nick Dheir and substitute Christian Hammer were complimented by strikes from Sam Lewis and Michael Brooks as Goodricke ran riot.

Having seen their first team timidly open their campaign against James thirds on Monday, the seconds were in no mood to grant concessions as their positive brand of football repeatedly overpowered Derwent. While James firsts will be clear favourites to advance from this group, Goodricke will fancy their chances of knocking Langwith firsts into the Plate.

Dheir opened the scoring after eight minutes despite suspicions of offside, presented with a straightforward finish after Stuart Bruce could only parry an initial effort. Bruce, who was singled out as Derwent’s star performer afterwards, denied Adam Botterill and Brooks in an opening half of one-way traffic.

But it was after the interval that Goodricke moved through the gears – Brooks was menacing on the right wing, Lewis lively on the left with Dheir and Andy Case marshalling the middle. Lewis lashed home a second after Brooks had beaten a couple of men, before Hammer, a replacement for Matt Sutherland, scored with a second bite of the cherry after Bruce couldn’t snaffle the loose ball.

Dheir made it four with a curling shot which required an outrageous deflection to deceive the goalkeeper, Brooks picked up a deserved goal for 5-0 and Hammer rounded things off by turning the ball home from close range in the final couple of minutes.

Good2 v Der2 -Peter Iveson - 14/5/2010

Christian Hammer turns in Goodricke’s sixth goal in the closing stages of Friday’s Group D clash. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

Goodricke Seconds: Matt Brennan, Matt Thomas, Sam Astbury, Dave Driver, Michael Brooks, Adam Botterill, Nick Dheir, Andy Case, Sam Lewis, Matt Sutherland (Christian Hammer), Dave Coupland

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Nick Dheir

Derwent Thirds: Stuart Bruce, Matt Jenkins, Andy Jeffreys, Dan Crehan, Henry Ball, Adam Cliff, Andy Cooper, James Beggs, Jim Norton, Freddy Harris, Sam Hodson
Substitutes (used): Mike Regan, Conor Scanlan

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Stuart Bruce

1. 14 May ’10 at 10:51 pm

Random Derwenter

Nick D’heir was incredible today! He looked so comfortable on the ball, and was inspiring. I really look up to a performance of that calibre.