York Uni leaves non-drinkers dry

Our kitchen is never that clean, I doubt many of the kitchens in University accommodation are. However, one Thursday morning our kitchen was particularly bad: change was thrown across the table, kebab meat across the floor. Gravy granules joined the remains of chips on a plate on the table and under one of the few un-flipped chairs was a single boot. The other was in the toilet upstairs. Surprisingly, this isn’t that uncommon. At least one of housemates must have had a fairly interesting night, or a “messy” night as they like to call it. I doubt it’s named after the state of the kitchen the next morning.

Every night hundreds of students descend on the city or campus and within a short period of time are completely drunk. Whilst the majority of students have great nights out and work off the stresses of the day a select few wake up fully clothed in bed the next day and have to work out what happened the previous night a la ‘The Hangover’. Often the first clue is a stamp to The Willow Nightclub, after all “you know you’ve had a rough night if you wake up with a Willow stamp on your hand.”

Like most universities in Britain University of York has a serious drinking culture. You are expected to drink. I was told by an incredibly hungover student in one of my lectures that the problem was the Wednesday night netball social which was “not negotiable,” even just before an exam.

There are serious dangers to this excessive consumption of alcohol. I met a student in the centre of York one night who was so drunk that she could barely talk. Sadly we occasionally hear of people going missing in York, often in favourite student drinking areas. It’s not just female students either; male students are equally in danger. As well as having just as much of a chance of being raped, drunkenness is directly linked to nearly 80 per cent of fights in York and numerous students have decided that a late night swim in the Ouse was a good idea; most of them male.

It’s not just a safety issue. We all know the serious health risks of excessive drinking, especially at our age. Experts estimate that alcohol is responsible for 33,000 deaths in the UK each year; whereas liver disease and pancreatitis used to be ailments largely confined to middle and old age, more and more young people are contracting and, sadly, dying from them. Alcohol poisoning and mental health concerns are the most common side effects in students; over 30,000 people were admitted to hospitals in the UK with alcohol poising last year. Furthermore, studies have shown that “messy” nights may be messing up your degree. Edge Hill University has shown that students who regularly get drunk perform much worse than students who drink rarely or not at all.

I’m not trying to condemn alcohol. There are enough people out there who do that already. However, there is clearly a drinking culture at York and this culture makes it very difficult for those who do not drink due to choice, religion or finance. Liverpool University has just won an award for not receiving a single alcohol-related complaint in three years. They make sure to promote sensible drinking and fix soft drink prices so that they are always lower than alcoholic ones.

Yet back here in York YUSU really fails to cater for non-drinkers. A survey circulated around Halifax College by the HCSA came back with a large number of people asking for non-drinking events and socials. The HCSA’s response was to refuse to organise non-alcohol based events as most of the committee are drinkers and saw no merit to these socials. Talking to members of the JCRCs of the other colleges it seems Halifax College is not alone in this view.

I would go as far as to say that University of York could not operate without alcohol. In a YUSU without alcohol how many societies would end? The only connection most subject-specific societies have to their subjects is the theming of that particular week’s bar crawl. The only way some third-years I know got through writing their dissertation was with vodka and Relentless.

Obviously this is exaggeration but there is a serious issue. Can students not have a good time without alcohol? Are people so reliant on the stuff that they cannot understand those who do not drink? How many people come to university and are forced towards alcohol by peer pressure or it being the only way to meet new people? I’m not advocating that alcohol should be banned on campus, they tried that in the US and it didn’t work well – we don’t need a mafia presence on campus. However, there needs to be a greater recognition that not everyone on campus drinks or wants to get drunk most nights. Why should these students not have as many social activities to choose from as others? It’s a serious flaw in the University and one which, if the questions at the YUSU elections hustings are considered, is an issue which next year’s Sabbs need to address.

1. 11 May ’10 at 12:09 am

Robert Wolpole

“male students are equally in danger. As well as having just as much of a chance of being raped”

Is that true? I don’t think that’s true.

2. The HCSA have not “refused” to hold non-drinking events, in fact they encourage regular non-drinking nights, and provide non-alcoholic drinks at all their events. It would be good to know where Steven got his facts from as he is unable to substantiate any of them, or provide sources for his quotes…

3. Terrible article.

Take that chip off your shoulder and you’ll enjoy life a lot more.

4. 11 May ’10 at 1:18 am

Jacket Potato

What an awful article…completely pointless it told me nothing new i didn’t already know, only served to make me feel happier about the fact i for one do drink and as for the HCSA information, is totally inaccurate and not based on facts or quotes!

5. I suppose that there is an important issue with regards drinking cultures; booze dominates the uni experience and not enough is done to accommodate those who don’t drink and importantly, help drinkers and non-drinkers mix.

However I feel that this article is not only simplistic and unbalanced, it makes a few claims that are just wrong. I’m not a Halifax student so cannot add anything to that point, but other colleges do indeed provide booze-free or booze-lite events.

Moreover, Jane Grenville has consistently tried to raise awareness of this issue and her ‘Grenville fund’ was devolved to JCRCs with such booze-free usages in mind.

Also, while the broad point about males facing serious safety risks when drunk is indeed correct, and while accepting that male rape does occurr, men are simply not as likely to be raped as women are. Nonsense

6. This is the worst article I have ever read on Nouse.

Shame on you Steven Perring.

7. I’m not trying to condemn alcohol.

I like that you say that after spending the previous paragraph doing just that.

It’s not a bad article, and you make a good point, however, it might have had a better reception if you hadn’t made it in such a judgemental and overly aggressive manner.

8. There is a drinking culture in Britain not just at our beloved university. Choosing not to drink for whatever reason does not mean you cannot enjoy yourself. I know several people who do not drink or drink in very small amounts and still enjoy Ziggys as much as any person in there. It is more to do with personality and state of mind. People who don’t drink and then judge others who indulge to excess are bound to not have fun at College events or on Bar Crawls as they are too busy riding around on their white horse. Chill out, lose the chip on your shoulder and practise comma usage…

9. 11 May ’10 at 4:10 pm

Another HCSA Member

Just a couple of points to clarify:

The results of the survey have not yet been discussed as we have only recently started analysing them due to the survey being sent round last term. Therefore the ‘response’ you are refering to has not been made by anyone because there has so far been nothing to respond to.

Exact figures will be released shortly, but the number of alcohol related comments are actually very low. We will of course be looking to address all responses to the survey and would like to thank everyone who took part.

10. It is all fair and good drawing attention to the prominent role drinking has in university cultures; it’s hardly something new though.

But to be so one-eyed on the matter and then to use a spurious assertion about the HCSA is unnecessary and a cheap shot.

I would like to see the minutes of the HCSA meeting where members suggest these socials have no merit.

The HCSA has been attempting to increase involvement of non-drinkers in the college for the past two years. Before Blundell, both Powell and Sharp ran many events aimed at non-drinkers – regular film, game and other nights for non-drinkers.

Lydia has carried this on as well. As previously mentioned the most recent survey results are not out or even analysed yet so speculation on them is pure myth.

It so happens non-drinking events are a harder sell because the majority of university students do like to enjoy themselves and drink, but it doesn’t mean it should be the only type of event organised and the HCSA recognises this and does not solely organise drinking events.

Any assertion of this is both unfair, untrue and wrongly reflects badly on the HCSA.

11. I only drink extremely rarely and believe it or not, it is possible to meet new people without being forced to drink. And peer pressure to drink alcohol? I’ve never met anyone who cares, just as I don’t care if they are drinking. I think this article focuses on a tiny minority experience and quite frankly just makes the rest of us who don’t consume alcohol look like spoilsports.

12. ‘Obviously this is exaggeration but there is a serious issue.’

this highlights your lack of merit.

in addition your comments about the HCSA are completely ridiculous and i think you should start listening more in meetings instead of just hearing what you want to hear and twisting the committees words.

or you should stop being so moody and realise that if you think that alcohol is what is stopping you having a good time then perhaps it is your personality that is dry not your dislike of alcohol!

13. 13 May ’10 at 12:04 am

Owner of the Shoe

Steve

I thrink irony? makes a very good point, as do many of the other comments, you have made your point and backed up it up with very little in the way of fact. As a member of Halifax (and one of your housemates) i can tell you you simply haven’t looked and haven’t tried if you think there is nothing for the non drinkers.

I am in the committee of two clubs neither of which require any consuption of alcohol whatsoever and have been along to clubs and events that are the same. Get out there and see the world, if you dont want to drink people wont mind, but give it a try and let your hair down.

What i will say is that ALCOHOL HAS IMPROVED MY EXPERIENCE of university life, whether it provides that push to meet new people or just a way to chill out after a long day of labs. Before I came to york I barely drank at all and now probably drink less than in previous terms anyway.

I firmly believe the best way to meet people is on the same level, and that means getting off the horse.

14. I think that the article does make a few errors but also raises an important point.

I know that many JCRCs have a large number of non-alcoholic events. Indeed when I was on the JCRC for Langwith, myself and three other members were tasked with running a *weekly* non-alcoholic event. Obviously this wasn’t intended to be as big as other events but you’re not forced to drink at any. And even though I was encouraged to go to punch (though I never got around to it), they didn’t mind if I did and were more than happy to have people attend and not drink alcohol. This from an allegedly alcohol-intensive event.

Likewise I don’t know many societies – indeed ANY societies – where drinking is mandated to the level that you’re suggesting. There are some clubs with bad reputations but again I haven’t heard of situations where they force people to get that wasted.

“In a YUSU without alcohol how many societies would end?”

Well, Real Ale Society would be screwed. But other than that, probably not many/any.

And men are at lower risk of rape or sexual assault than women. It’s still a high level of risk, however, and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

There isn’t any hypocrisy in saying that you’re not condemning alcohol, irrespective of what they others say, as you’re plainly and clearly saying that you’re condemning the abuse of alcohol. But, speaking as someone who has been part of a number of societies, a JCRC and YUSU in general, I have never felt pressured into drinking. I know that there are people who are – and I know that there are risks – but when the YUSU President doesn’t drink alcohol then you really need to readdress the focus of your comment piece!

15. The points raised are valid. As a male member of the Boat club I often feel pressured to drink in many situations. Still, protection is in place from senior members such as the Captain and President, who step in and make sure nobody does anything they don’t want to.

However, At now point in my university career has someone tried to rape me or anyone other team mate. What a strange comment.

To your comment “without alcohol how many societies would end”. Firstly almost all teams did not drink for a few weeks running up to roses. Secondly, think about how few people drink around exam periods, yet societies continue to function.

16. As a prime example of the university drinking culture, I have been totally planked the whole year. Obviously I have some certain wooden values for example on a social I try on socials to form non-drinking splinter groups.

I want to broaden my horizons and branch out of the drinking culture. I first twigged that something was wrong when I was pining for a beer after only a break of a day.
    I logged into facebook to look for support but only found the ‘funnel master’ barking orders, and hence we have arrived at the root of the problem, our peer pressure society.

A fellow member of the rugby and cricket team known as woody is a JCRC committee member and took me under his branch. He offered me an alternative to the booze fuelled socials and showed me a cleaner life.

17. 13 May ’10 at 7:13 pm

Anonymous HCSA Member

There is a general attitude in the HCSA that non alcohol events are not valid. There are several people who do try to organise these events but most people do not like to organise them.

18. anonymous HCSA member if you have such an issue why not post as your real name and try and change something. Also as a former HCSA member there was most definitely non-alcoholic events organised. Such as shopping trips to leeds and games night. In addition to this during freshers week, the week in which many non-drinkers may feel isolated due to the high number of alcohol related events we made sure we had a non-alcoholic event run every night as well as events during the day.

Also if there is a general attitude not to want to do it get of your arse and sort it out yourself, after all you are a HCSA member!

19. ..what?

i don’t drink and i’m a member of halifax, first year, there are SO many non-drinking things to do it’s unreal! i’ve never felt excluded or bored. your participation is what is needed to have fun, everything is what you make of it! you could be wasted and have the worst time or completely sober and have the best.

also, think of film nights, toast nights, quiz nights, the provision of an xbox, jjs as a whole, table tennis, college sport, peter m’s poker nights, etc? the things like foam party etc (which are aimed at drinkers/clubbers) are open to non-drinkers too…the college isn’t EXCLUDING non-drinkers?

i agree, maybe freshers week is a bit too much for us non-drinkers and maybe that’s something that needs a bit of addressing, BUT it’s not fair to attack the college as a whole for not providing enough for non-drinkers. once you live here for 2+ weeks, you find your own stuff to do.

also the HCSA aren’t your baby sitters. use your own initiative?

this post has really annoyed me, halifax is hardly the most popular/desirable college to live in, and we really don’t need our own residents slating us in a campus-wide newspaper. especially slating people who use their own time to do stuff for the college (HCSA)…seriously how about you get off your arse and do something for you non-drinkers rather than whining in nouse! this is so rude :/

i think i recognise you too…are you the one who watches friends in JJs?

20. 14 May ’10 at 12:10 am

3rd Year Halifax Student

One thing that is starting to annoy me with regards to this article and the subsequent comments, is the unfair tagging of the HCSA as a bunch of people who don’t care about anything except for drinking. Whilst I’ve never had any personal involvement as a HCSA member – from observing its work I think that’s a ludicrous assessment formed by some commenters.

It’s rubbish for a start – and also I think it’s entirely wrong to attack one JCRC for something that, if it’s going to be labelled as an issue, should be labelled on all JCRCs, and if you like, the Union too.

I know for a fact that Lydia, and the rest of her JCRC, work very hard to ensure their events are inclusive to all Halifax students. Perhaps the highest profile events are ones that centre around alcohol, e.g. Foam Party – but that’s because these are the costliest and largest, not because others don’t carry importance.

Halifax, like all other colleges put on a lot of alternative events in Freshers Week ranging from Games Nights to Film nights. Something it’s done in my three years here. Lydia, and before her Roberto and David have been acutely aware of the needs of all students in the College, including international students.

None – NO society will have any reference to alcohol in its constitution. You mention subject specific societies but they all put on trips which certainly don’t require drinking. History Soc go abroad, English Soc go to plays, Psychology and Politics soc go to Edinburgh. Yes they may have bar crawls, but that doesn’t mean they exist purely for that. And that’s without even considering the 100+ other societies that exist that really have no reliance or even consideration of alcohol, be they media or volunteering or dance or whatever.

21. It’s a valid point, however, that big events will not sell as many tickets if they’re not alcoholic events. Board game nights, ‘grub crawls’, film nights, casino nights and other non-alcoholic options are all fairly successful but they’re not going to be on a level with any of the college Balls or the average Club D event. The biggest non-alcoholic event on campus this year was (rofl) the event that I put in Central Hall last term and I think that had it been a mainstream event it would definitely have put a lot of people off. Obviously the event wasn’t a success due to other reasons but the successful Stornoway event this week was laid back and didn’t see a large number of people getting very drunk but still had alcohol available – had it not, some people would definitely have complained! I think that the focus is often on alcohol and not the rest of the event and it is almost definitely a bad thing.

22. @3rd Year Halifax Student

The whisky society mention it in their constitution. Surely?

23. @ Anon. Surely a non-drinker wouldn’t join Whiskey society??

24. @ ~J,

The events don’t revolve around, or focus on drinks, but the posters do. Cos honestly, I think most people would just prefer to get drunk/dance/have fun in the comfort of their favourite clubs/houses as there is nothing major other than change of scenery making them want to go. However, themes (such as UV night, beach foam night, graffiti night) make people more willing to go, and massively discounted drinks want people to even more!

Also I think it’s just good advertising. By the same principle you could say that events are excluding virgins as often these events are advertised with ~sexual~ images of scantily clad women…it’s just not true and people are clutching at straws in order to criticise a reasonably successful HCSA.

Can’t agree more with the person who said it’s ridiculous to single out Halifax…

ALSO to the author, I’ve thought of more non-drinking things for you to do in halifax (or that have been run in the past):

Mrs and Mr Halifax, all the games nights, ISA film nights, christmas raffle, do your own BBQs as they’ve built brick BBQs around the courts (I know where you live and there is one about 5 paces from your front door…), make your own film nights, tv nights (most nights there are groups of people watching skins etc in there!), run your own events (it’s allowed provided you get permission), etc.

The only events that revolve around drinking are the clubbing ones…

25. Whiskey Soc isn’t a ratified society…

26. 14 May ’10 at 12:54 pm

No Likey, No Lighty!

For anyone who claims that the HCSA don’t cater for non-drinkers, all I have to say is: Halifax does ‘Take Me Out’!!!!

Easily the best and funniest event I’ve ever been too and not a drop of alcohol involved!

(excluding the Sheriff of course!)

27. Everyone seems all up in arms about the Halifax issue here. But what about the other end of the College scale? What about our smallest College, my own Derwent? By admitting to not drinking and being in Derwent I’ll be identifiable here by my entire block, should any of them read it. I can count, in the last year, a total of one Derwent event which was not geared around alcohol. And that was Pictionary in the JCR in Fresher’s Week.
    Club Ds are all about getting pissed. Because I don’t want to get pissed every night I can’t DO anything. My flatmates extoll the virtues of Ziggys every Wednesday, but always with the caveat that one must be drunk to attend. If a place is so horrific the only way you can enjoy it is to forget most of the evening, I don’t particularly want to go!

I’m sick of EVERYTHING being about alcohol. Sick of smelling it on my friends’ breaths when they drunkenly lean over. Sick of being regalled with tales of how “amazing” last night was, but with no fine details because you were pissed the whole time. I feel…left out…

28. “I can count, in the last year, a total of one Derwent event which was not geared around alcohol. And that was Pictionary in the JCR in Fresher’s Week.”

that’s tragic.

See, i think the article would have had a genuine backing if it were to address the quality of non-drinking activities, rather than the quantity? there are a lot, but they’re hardly innovative and engaging,

just because some one decides not to drink does not automatically mean that they revert into some mundane, child-like state where games like pictionary and quiz nights are the pinnacle of their social existence. fair enough, games nights do address the need for social activity (how many friends are you honestly going to make watching a film?) whilst remaining reasonably adult…yet things like pictionary are just rather naff.

especially in freshers where our drinking counterparts are doing such a lot and breaking the ice with a vast group of people, it can be rather dull to be stuck in the JCR playing pictionary with a few awkward freshers. perhaps things like meals out, communal food nights (i.e: each cook something you cook amazingly/from your culture/etc), communal music nights, game (ps2/xbox) nights, or other engaging activities. sorry but when i went to any non-drinking event in freshers i could literally cut the massive bundles of awk with a knife.

29. @anon,

“Club Ds are all about getting pissed. Because I don’t want to get pissed every night I can’t DO anything.”

I am incredulous at this statement. It is simply not true. Our very own Krishna Yellapa managed not to drink for weeks prior to running the marathon, and he still went out and socialised during that time.

Furthermore, you raise an interesting point in claiming that you could be identified simply by virtue of being a non-drinker in Derwent. While provisions should be made for non-drinkers, if you believe that you are the only one, then how effective are non-drinking events going to be at encouraging socialising? There are loads of sporting teams in Derwent, as well as commitees and things to get involved in. These are all methods of meeting people.

Furthermore, a weekly bar-quiz (which is obviously currently postponed) was a good ice-breaker, without forcing drink down anyone’s throats.

While perhaps in freshers week, making non-drinkers welcome is incredibly important, as the term progresses, then forced-socialisation in general is less important. If you take umbrage at how people act when they are drunk, then maybe you shouldn’t go out. But I dont think anyone is ostracising you, or preventing you from joining in.

30. I’ve always found you can’t trust people who don’t drink. Articles that stigmatise drinkers like this are just going to further my irrational prejudices.

31. 15 May ’10 at 11:37 am

Use Societies Then

@anon

There’s more to Uni life than Colleges – if you can’t find enough to entertain yourself without alcohol in Derwent then search further afield:

http://www.yusu.org/societies
    http://www.yusu.org/sport
    http://www.yusu.org/volunteering
    http://www.yusu.org/rag

32. 15 May ’10 at 9:52 pm

JakeAwesome87

I am going to congratulate Steven on bringing to the surface something my friends and I have been discussing for a long time. Unrecommended references aside, this article touches on a number of very strong points. There is most certainly a drinking culture within our University which isolates students who don’t drink to “get drunk”.

In my opinion, “a good time” shouldn’t be measured by how many units an individual has consumed. Many socials I have been on have served to dispel this way of thinking however. Steven, this is just a way of life that you have to live with. My advice, find some likeminded people and enjoy yourself.

33. Steven, you are clearly a boring little man. Oh my god…there was an actual kebab on the floor…and a boot! A BLOODY BOOT! Have you ever ‘let your hair down’ in your life?
    You are also mistaken on a couple of fundamental points: if you woke up in your bed fully clothed then A) you made it home and B) you didn’t anally jeapordise a randomer and, therefore, did not have a ‘messy night’. Similarly, if you have a Willow stamp then it means that you didn’t go home early because A) you were in a paraletic state or B) you decided to go ugly early. Thirdly, it is not hard for people to resist alcohol on religious grounds; I regularly go into town with a tee-total muslim who spends her time drinking coke, taking photos and requesting Avril Lavigne whilst I get embarrassingly smashed and have a mega night.

To conclude, sort your life out, have some fun, stop being a douche and writing poor ‘holier-than-thou-because-I-don’t-get-wrecked-and-still-retain-morals’ articles.

34. I wish you were my mate. You should feature on http://www.truelad.com, you would be a definite winner. LAD

35. 16 May ’10 at 11:40 pm

YardDog of the HONDO

OMFG A BOOT IN THE TOILET!!!! HYPERLOLZ

That’s nothing. I was sick in my shoe reading this shocking article.
    Steven Perring please crawl back under your rock and stay there.

36. 17 May ’10 at 12:27 pm

never left the willow willingly

My dear Mr Perring, unless you are utterly battered a night out in Yorks does not live up to expectations. However, once you can barely see straight and that obese chick in the corner looks comely and welcoming it generally turns out to be a good night, with goose chasing and ouse swimming for all.

37. 17 May ’10 at 4:42 pm

Bert Penisconservatory

To be fair a lot of the non-drinking events sound stale and boring. My suggestion Mr. Perring is that you get pissed up before you go and then you’l enjoy them more.

38. I do drink but nowhere near as much as most of my friends and on occasion I go to Ziggy’s or club D sober if I have a 9.15 or an essay due. In my experience most people don’t care if you’re not drinking and the rest of them don’t notice (because they’re too drunk). In my experience if you don’t make a big deal out of not drinking you don’t allow anyone else to. But if you want to be included and not drink don’t judge your friends or anyone else for drinking, unless you think they’re endangering themselves seriously just leave them to it.

39. Steve wrote an interesting article. Some points may not have been entirely correct, but this was his first attempt at writing one. He put his head over the parapet and made the valid point that non-drinkers are often overlooked in University events. The response from many of his readers was ugly and offensive. Whether a person drinks or not is their choice alone and it doesn’t make life easier if some immature lout responds with personal insults. Steve isn’t a ‘boring little man’ and your annoymous attack serves only to ridicule your position.

40. 20 May ’10 at 4:16 pm

Goodricke student

I don’t think anyone is disputing Steve’s right not to drink.

Surely the support for non-alcoholic events is to be considered in this debate. I’ve been on Goodricke JCRC, and the great hypocrisy I always find is that despite constant pressure to provide for the anti-drinking lobby, in my experience non-alcoholic events are extremely poorly attended. I believe that rants and negative outbursts at mainstream drinking culture and events may actually be linked to a wider social debate. As someone mentioned previously, there are plenty of people that don’t drink and have just as fun a night in Gallery or Ziggies.

If people would rather sit in their rooms than attend college or yusu events then of course that’s up to them. But people really need to stop this negative whining about how degraded the rest of us are for having fun. I’m afraid it only comes across as having a chip on your shoulder. Lighten up old boy!

41. 20 May ’10 at 4:24 pm

Goodricke student

And in answer to ‘Richard’, I agree personal attacks are of little help in a debate, but I’m afraid I and many others find stereotyping, patronising generalisations about those who engage in mainstream socialising equally monotonous and offensive.

42. Alcohol is a normal thing. Do you really think humans would be as capable as they are today if it wasn’t for the invention of alcohol by Jack Daniels. Or Jonnie Walker. One of those two.

Anyway, alcohol is normal, not drinking it is not. God I suppose we’re going to have an article bemoaning the lack of vegetarian options now aren’t we? Why can’t everyone just be normal like I am

43. If you feel that strongly about it why don’t you get up off your arse and run for a position on the JCRC or YUSU and change the situation rather than staying in your bedroom and writing little pissy articles for nouse about it

44. 90% of York is alcoholic. Just scan through the comments above.

45. JT, that is a completely pointless and untrue statement. Over 10% of students here are international students, who are less likely to drink. Over 10% of students here are postgraduate students, who are less likely to drink. And EVEN IN THE THREAD over 10% of people are non-drinkers.

However, York has a massive number of pubs and drinking is generally a part of life. What’s important is not that people stop drinking but that people take care when drinking and that nobody is pressured into drinking more than they want to. Irrelevant to the amount of York that is alcoholic.

46. “The only way some third-years I know got through writing their dissertation was with vodka and Relentless.”

Spot on old boy. What a cracking way to bow out- a 76 in the dissertation and a fucking rotten hangover to boot.

Cheers to 3 years of fighting, drinking, womanising and waking up lying next to something/someone that resembles an endangered species in Harrogate zoo’s reptile section.

York Alumni (2009).

47. @ ~ :

If you are Jason Rose, then please, at least add the J. Your lazyness has gone too far.

48. @Alex :
    Steve is on the HCSA.

YOU FAIL SO HARD.

49. Firstly, I don’t understand why supposedly well educated young people keep resorting to personal attacks on this website.

Secondly, Perring has a point. Why is it that so many people cannot envision having a fun night without being drunk? Is their life so sad that they can only get joy if they are completely full of alcohol? Although to be fair, being drunk is one way to cope with Gallery’s music I guess.

Seriously though, I think people should move on from this culture of looking for the cheapest possible drink with a view to getting drunk. You are supposed to have a drink you actually enjoy, not one that will make you drunk quicker.

A.

50. @ Felicity (nice name btw, bet u love the jack wills BANTARR):
    If he’s on the HCSA….
    a) why hasnt he done something about it and made improvements (in his eyes) to the uni for non-drinkers
    b) if he has made it better for non-drinkers by promoting non-drinking events/nights/societies/groups/ or watever, wot is he complaining about….his own work that he’s done on the commitee :/

51. 24 May ’10 at 9:54 pm

Gerty Cockshed

@~ why are postgrads less likely to drink? Im a postgrad and i could drink all you big dumb beavers under the table. Come to think of it why are international students less likely to drink? International includes scottish people. and they drink. lots. as do germans. and aussies. and russians. Im going for a pint, anyone interested?

52. alex makes a very good point if he is on the HCSA why doesn’t he improve the situation opposed to just whining about it. Aris i agree the senseless personal assaults are not necessary, neither is the senseless single minded assault the writer has made at one particular college. As a halifax student i’m angered by this article as it singles out and targets the HCSA which works hard for the college, given there may not be that many non-alcoholic events, however having been a member i can assure people that every effort is being made to include everyone with the college drinkers or not! I don’t see why the writer has the need to single out halifax and no other college when this is a university wide problem.

This is very poor biased reporting.

53. Less likely to drink because Edge is never open

54. 25 May ’10 at 9:48 am

ex social sec

I have been a social sec for a sports club for the past year and was myself a non drinker. Yet I was elected, and frequently applauded for my great socials. Sure, many of them were bar crawls, but I had a great time while I was out with my sports club and people always respected that as a third year with a lot of work to do, I was uninterested in wasting my next day with a hang over.

People were never forced to drink, and they were always well looked after if they drank excessively through their own choice. This I know to be the policy of most societies where captains are required to sign a form promising not to pressure anyone to drink.

55. “International includes scottish people” …..?!

It’s just the case. Postgraduates and international students are less involved in student politics, societies and generally tend to drink less. Often it can be because postgrads have just finished doing it for 3-4 years and international cultures differ on alcohol consumption. Either way, I’m not saying it’s bad or good but it is the way it is.

Maybe Russians do drink but the majority of our international students aren’t from Russia, Germany or Australia (and that is some wild stereotyping anyway) but rather from more conservative drinking areas such as the Far East. And of course there are entire demographics who, culturally, do not drink at all. Again, I’m not offering subjective opinion but objective fact. Whether more postgraduates and international students (and off-campus students, mature students etc.) should get involved, should drink a lot, should run for student office etc. is up for each individual to decide.

56. @alex Fuck You I’m a Ladder

57. @Felicity a Ladder……?

58. You obviously haven’t watched YSTV’s award-winning comedy show – http://ystv.york.ac.uk/watch/ManMan/Episode1/

59. iv had funnier shits that that………sad sad students

60. @alex: you’re the sad one. You find shits funny

61. I love how you tried to chat me up with a BANTARRRRR line. how sad. and this, my fellow ladders, is why we have womens officers.

62. u think i was tryin to chat ya up :/……get over yasel luv

63. alex, you’re talking to a ladder. put the LSD down.

64. 28 May ’10 at 11:41 am

Dissapointed raver

Maybe if the clubs in York were actually good then maybe students wouldn’t feel the need to get so smashed. The Willow drunk is terrible, I can only imagine how bad it would be sober. As for this article…Students drink, get over it. It doesn’t mean you have to drink. There are plenty of societies that don’t revolve around alcohol, if you want to avoid drink then join one of them. But don’t lecture other people on something that is their personal choice.

65. 14 Jun ’10 at 11:01 am

archive browser

Simply the worst article I have ever read! Too pathetic to put into words.