Goodricke and Wentworth open College Cup accounts

Goodricke and Wentworth firsts were forced to work hard in the opening round of College Cup Group A fixtures today, but eventually prevailed against James thirds and Derwent seconds respectively

Dave Coupland celebrates one of his two goals in Goodricke's 3-0 win against James thirds today. Photograph by Peter Iveson

The College Cup kicked off today with a Group A double-header on the Astroturf.

GOODRICKE FIRSTS 3 JAMES THIRDS 0

It took Goodricke until the final five minutes to make absolutely certain of their opening College Cup 2010 win on Monday afternoon, pushed every inch of the way by a determined James thirds side. Two well-taken strikes from captain Dave Coupland in the closing stages earned a slightly flattering 3-0 scoreline, with Goodricke’s profligate finishing in the opening period nearly allowing James to snatch an improbable draw in the second.

A sizeable Astroturf crowd witnessed the tournament kick-off in overcast conditions, and they were soon rewarded with the first goal of this latest College Football saga. Racing in from the left flank to meet a poked Ben Smith through-ball, Eddie Silson curled the ball past Toby Owen in the James goal to open Goodricke’s account.

They proceeded to boss the first-half but encountered stubborn resistance, notably from centre-backs Nick St George, who would collect his team’s man of the match accolade, and Nathan McCusker, who was supreme in the aerial contest. When the defensive quartet was breached, Goodricke found goalkeeper Owen in good form and he made a double block at close quarters to thwart Smith and then a follow-up from Sam Lewis.

Silson came close to doubling his tally, only to see a well-executed lob drop wide, before being denied by a parried save from Owen when well-positioned. On the stroke of half-time, Smith squandered a golden opportunity after McCusker miscued but lost his nerve in front of goal and James remained just a goal in arrears at the changearound.

James had enjoyed some good fortune but emerged galvanised and might have snatched an equaliser – Tim Green sprinted onto a chipped ball forward but goalkeeper Ed Foster was alert to his shot, while a couple of other half-chances went begging.

Eventually, Goodricke capitalised on tired legs to put the game to rest: first, Coupland’s bustling individual run down the right took him one-on-one and he produced a nice finish, and then the same man produced a lovely chip over Owen for 3-0.

Goodricke, at length, achieved the expected victory to kick-start their College Cup campaign but there is plenty of optimism for James, whose dogged display here will trouble Alcuin seconds, Derwent seconds and Wentworth firsts, the trio who make up Group A. AJS

College Cup 2010 - Good1 v James3 - Peter Iveson - 10-5-2010

Arran Bowen-la Grange, of James, challenges for the ball in his team’s 3-0 defeat this afternoon. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

Goodricke Firsts: Ed Foster, Niall Walsh, Danny Munro, Sam Astbury, Josh Barker, Adam Leadbeater, Sam Lewis, Eddie Silson, Dan York, Dave Coupland (c), Ben Smith (Rob Shanley)

Nouse Fantasy Football man of the match: Adam Leadbeater

James Thirds: Toby Owen, Ben Li (Ruari Phillips), Nick St. George, Nathan McCusker, George Clarke, Dave Williams, Jack Fisher, Huw Harrow, Andy Yates (Arran Bowen-la Grange), Tim Green, Jody Rolfe (Adam Tzimas)

Nouse Fantasy Football man of the match: Toby Owen

WENTWORTH FIRSTS 1 DERWENT SECONDS 0

A first-half header from defender Seb Schmerold was enough to give Wentworth firsts the points against an out of sorts Derwent seconds on Monday afternoon.

With Goodricke firsts stating their dominance with a comfortable 3-0 win against James thirds in the match before, both teams looked to take the early initiative in the groups – Derwent having the first real chance to take a scalp in the cup by over-turning the Postgrads, but Wentworth should be given credit for producing a robust team display and controlling the game throughout.

With much of the opening stages played out in the midfield, the game finally sprang into life after ten minutes with Derwent having a legitimate shout for a penalty; the ball appearing to strike the arm of Wentworth centre back Matt Lakins, but the referee waved it away despite the vocal protests of the Derwent players and supporters crowding the sidelines.

With the penalty decision waved away, Wentworth were able to counter – Samik Datta winning a corner after a last ditch clearance from the Derwent backline right in front of the goal-mouth. The resulting corner found Schmerold climbing highest at the back post to steer the ball past a helpless Roy Moore and give Wentworth the lead.

The goal seemed to galvanise Wentworth, with their grip on the game increasing considerably, out-muscling a much smaller Derwent team in all areas of the park – the front three of Datta, Kitson and Green proving to be a handful. It was Datta who was proving to be the biggest threat and the little winger should have probably got on the score sheet on the fifty minute mark. An exquisite cross-field ball from the excellent Kitson on the right found Datta on the edge of the area, but his shot thumped the near-side post when he really should have scored and killed the game off completely.

Derwent did finally threaten in the closing stages, but captain Matt Worsfold was to bemoan his side’s lack of production in the final third after the match. Derwent went closest though Barnaby Francis hitting a long-range shot into the arms of Wentworth stopper Seamus Kent, and Derwent should have endeavoured to get something on the end of a vicious in-swinging cross into the six yard area from centre back Josh Baines. Half chances aside, Wentworth must be given credit for producing a battling performance to win the game and join Goodricke at the top of the group going into their bye week, while Derwent should rebound against James thirds next week. DA

College Cup 2010 - Went1 v Derw2 - Peter Iveson - 10-5-2010

Wentworth celebrate Seb Schmerold’s goal, which proved enough to earn three points against Derwent seconds today. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

Wentworth Firsts: Seamus Kent, Lachie Murray, Alan Burns, Matt Lakins, Seb Schmerold, Ziad Chami, Luke Fleet, Russ Kitson, Samik Datta , Andy Suggitt, Dom Green

Nouse Fantasy Football man of the match: Samik Datta

Derwent Seconds: Roy Moore, Andy Jeffreys, Joe Boughtflower, Matt Worsfold, Josh Baines, Barnaby Francis (Nana Sarpong), James Beggs (Adam Cliff), James Matthews, John Pinkstone, Matt O’Connor, Freddy Harris (Ben Cresswell)

Nouse Fantasy Football man of the match: Matt Worsfold

1. The Derwent captain gave himself man of the match? Is that allowed?

Should have been Boughtflower for my money…

2. Really fancy Wenty to get out of that group, seem to be organised well and far from the pushovers of past competitions. Samik Datta is a fantasy football steal as well, he’ll get goals and MOMs galore.

ps, who was that sensuous middle eastern looking fellow at the back for Wentworth? Sure, he looked aged (even for a post-grad) but he had deep sensual eyes and a rich layer of hair coating his shapely legs…. what a dream…. Ziad something??

3. Boughflower has a locker that fits in defensive solidarity along with accurate and cutting distribution. Whispers around the JLD today were of a telling performance from the Derwent man under hot pressure.

4. Just to confirm, I didn’t give myself man of the match. It was given to Matt O’Connor at the decision of Ambro, the above is a typo.

5. 10 May ’10 at 7:07 pm

Karel Poborsky

Penalty to derwent = Fact. Ref = disgrace.

The JLD was home to a massacre today and the victim was the good name of football. The criminal? A man with a small, metallic noise making device in his mouth unable to work out how to exhale.

6. 10 May ’10 at 7:22 pm

Adam Shergold

Yep, just to clear this up. We couldn’t award the man of the match to Matt O’Connor under the rules of the Fantasy Football because he’s a crossover player and he wouldn’t have got any points, so I asked Ambro for another pick and he said Worsfold, who got the points.

I sense this might happen a fair bit because you would expect a player from a higher team playing in a lower one to stand-out, so the Nouse reporters may have to arbitrate from time to time. Similarly in the James thirds game, Nick St George was the team’s choice but as a seconds player he wouldn’t have won any points in the fantasy football, so we picked a designated thirds player in Toby Owen (who also had a top game).

A new feature of the fantasy football this year is a man of the match from both teams and, obviously, we need to make sure they both get points for the people who have picked them. It’s just a way of keeping it fair on players who always play thirds, but might not have their efforts recognised because seconds players drop down and play well, for example. It should also make the game more interesting as your supposed lesser value players could earn you big points.

Hope that clarifies matters!
    AJS

7. Boughtflower horribly robbed today. Disgusted with that

8. Boughtflower shows skills not seen since thai silk shirts. Some of the most fluent football from him that I have seen this season.

WHY IS THIS NOT RECOGNISED!?

9. 10 May ’10 at 8:21 pm

Pierluigi Collina

For balance’s sake, I didn’t think it was a penalty, it hit the lad’s hand sure but from about 1 yard away when the fella was trying to move his arm out of the way.

Would have been a harsh call, I think.

And I’m the best ref that ever lived.

Look into my eyes Poborsky, I dare you.

10. First off, nobody for one second would deny that the ball hit our centre half’s hand. I’d even suggest that regardless of distance, his hand was where it shouldn’t have been (i.e. not by his side), however it was about a yard outside the box. It should have been a free-kick, no more.

Secondly, Samik was awesome but I reckon that Seb was MOTM for us (and that is who we nominated), which would’ve put him on 12 fantasy points – not an easy score to topple in one match.

Third, while the ref didn’t give much, he set his stall out early on, deciding not to interrupt the flow of play and stuck to that throughout. The handball was the only ‘big’ decision he got wrong and as I say, I don’t really think it was that big a decision.

11. Arms should’ve been by my side? Who runs like a bloody pencil!?

It did hit my forearm, this is correct. What Dan says is also correct, it was outside the “box”, if you can call it that.. so at the most it was a shout for a free-kick.

12. Yeah it did hit his arm, but from where I was standing (next to the ref pretty much) his arm was inside the profile of his body. So it would have just hit his chest even if his arm wasn’t there. Would have been a very harsh pen.

13. In conclusion, the ref was right then?

Man, I love correct decisions….