York alumni in the election

For the general election held today there are a total of 28 candidates from York University (only counting larger parties). Perhaps more impressively, before this election there were 8 Members of Parliament (MPs) that are part of York’s alumni. The most notable of whom is Harriet Harman.

The distribution of the candidates leans towards the left ground. Out of that 28, 12 are standing on behalf of Labour, 9 for the Liberal Democrats, 5 for the Conservatives and 2 for the Green Party.

As for the MP’s hailing from York, 6 out of the 8 are Labour, with only one Liberal Democrat, Greg Mulholland for Leeds North West and one Conservative, Chloe Smith for Norwich North. This is hardly surprising given Labour’s dominance in the House of Commons before this election, however, come the end of the day, the picture could be vastly different.

Albert Owen, a candidate for Labour, who studied at York, looks likely to lose his seat of Ynys Mon to Plaid Cmyru.

Conservative candidate Chloe Smith, who read English Literature, is involved in a head on fight with Labour candidate John Cook for Norwich North. A seat that Cameron will be hoping to hang onto. Also, Fabian Hamilton, Labour incumbent of Leeds North East, is in a tight battle to hold onto his seat. With the biggest threat to him seemingly coming from the Conservatives.

The alumni of York University are certainly playing a significant role in this election, how their presence in the House of Commons will change is yet to be seen.

1. 29 Oct ’10 at 8:39 pm

A concerned citizen

Good work on the Albert Owen prediction, he actually increased his majority.