Big D ‘SinneD’ promo video launched

The official Big D ‘SinneD’ trailer has today been launched at can be seen on Nouse

The promo video for this year’s Big D, ‘SinneD’ has been officially launched.

The video was produced and edited by Oliver Lester, who created last year’s WonDerland trailer. It was also produced and directed by first-year Nicky Johnson, and Derwent vice-chairs Emma Warren and Flick Saunders.

Last year, Big D tickets sold out in 45 minutes, with this year looking set to break that record. While competition for tickets is incredibly high, 100 of them will be exclusively released at the SinneD launch party next Thursday, to the first guests through the door. Details of the launch party and how to get tickets can be found on the official Facebook group here.

The full length video can be seen here:

For details of this year’s headliners, Audio Bullys and Chase & Status, and all other attractions see here. The official SinneD Facebook group can also be found here.

1. Amazing video guys, can’t wait!

2. 6 May ’10 at 2:46 pm

Anna Claire Younger

AMAZING!! Well done to Emma, Flick, Nicky and all the Big D committee! I cannot wait for SinneD!!!

3. Wow! Amazing work Olli and Nicky, a perfect way to show how fantastic SinneD is going to be!

4. 6 May ’10 at 7:31 pm

Not as good as last year

A different league to last years amazing promo video.

5. Just to confirm – there is going to be a large room full of food, right? *remains wishful*

6. @ ~J, the only thing the promo made me want was sandwiches with the crusts cut off…

7. Seriously? I don’t want to be mean or anything, but ‘amazing work’ is pretty generous way of describing that video.

I’m glad that there’s people keen on pushing SinneD, and its a good cause…but a lot of that video was pretty embarrassing.

8. 7 May ’10 at 11:43 am

Kirk Hammerton

An event themed on desperate, unhinged women with bewildered facial expressions – nice.

9. 7 May ’10 at 11:58 am

Things can only get better

“Seriously? I don’t want to be mean or anything, but ‘amazing work’ is pretty generous way of describing that video.”

Finally someone speaks the truth!

10. Awesome guys looks incredible

11. 7 May ’10 at 12:29 pm

Incredibly BoreD

I’m embarrassed that the only ‘creativity’ evident in this video it YET AGAIN pouty girls with nothing behind their eyes. It’s so boring and obvious to have ‘sexy’ as women with lots of make-up and vacant expressions on. Next year, can someone with imagination please make the video.

12. say what you like about the creativity, but having talked to two of the girls in this video I got the impression they were smart and interesting people, so “nothing behind their eyes” is pretty harsh and I’d say inaccurate.

having said that, I agree parts of this weren’t perfect, but to me that says more about the difficulty of producing top grade videos.

13. Just to respond: for me personally, I found this video a lot more challenging to work on than last years because, unlike Alice in WonDerland, 7 deadly sins does not have a clear narrative. With the Alice theme, it was straight forward to create a short three minute film, as we could use to story as a base.

SinneD is a brilliant theme for Big D (one of the best in the last 4 years), but one difficult to make a video for. We went through different ideas for the sins, but like Magnum ice cream a few years back, the best way to really sell the event was to have different girls represent each sin. Every organiser wants to put the message across that Big D is a huge, ‘sexy’, music event. That’s why you’ll get reoccurring themes in the promo videos; use of popular music, big cast and often females playing all the roles.

Another point; the organisers this year and last are all female, nearly all the crew were female and the other director this year was female too.

Finally, if you look at the timeline of the video, you’ll see this is only the second full scale promotional video made for Big D ever. So it’s good to see Anna, Flick and Emma wanting to make things bigger and better, with an already very demanding role.

Tsch! If only you had all listened to the Director’s Commentary on the DVD I’m selling at a bargain price of $9.99 (plus $2.95 shipping and handling), “I Make Films”, you would have known that all along! DVD available from all good market stalls, charity shops and Sunday Newspaper supplements.

14. 7 May ’10 at 4:23 pm

Shud of got Spielburg,

It’s not going to win a bafta anytime soon, but it fulfills its purpose as an amateur promo video. Besides some cringe moments its a fun sassy depiction of the seven deadly sins created by a college based committee created to get people talking about Big D. It worked. Your right though clearly all those girls are brain dead especially that lust…

15. “say what you like about the creativity, but having talked to two of the girls in this video I got the impression they were smart and interesting people, so “nothing behind their eyes” is pretty harsh and I’d say inaccurate.”

i think he meant more they were vacant and expressionless…

i just thought the whole subject was a cliche therefore everything they did was awkward and embarrassing. i wouldn’t bother turning up tbh.

also i’m glad some one finally broke the awkward admiration of this mediocre video. it seems a tad self indulgent, not too sure why it was necessary!

16. “also i’m glad some one finally broke the awkward admiration of this mediocre video. it seems a tad self indulgent, not too sure why it was necessary!”

If you are talking about the “awkward admiration” being unnecessary then that’s clearly wrong, as everyone should be allowed to express their excitement/discontent with the video. If it is the video itself you are talking about then it’s clearly not self indulgent, it’s a way to get people excited for one of the biggest events on campus, which lots of students have put a lot of hard work into doing, and it’s hardly “self indulgent”, everyone in the video must have put a lot of work in to get all 7 sins in with 7 different scenes. Fair enough that you won’t bother turning up, but slating the video because you don’t like the theme and calling it “self indulgent” just seems petty

17. To be honest deadly sins has been done over and over time and time again in all sorts of stuff and i think they did a pretty good artistic job of it.
    Sins are immoral acts, not emotions so the fact they may look vacant is not a bad thing because all the other effort of costumes make up and scenary are there to be appreciated too.
    good job everyone involved.

18. It is very easy for people to sit here and just dismiss a video that took a great deal of time and effort to create. Flick, Emma, Oli, Nicky and the rest of the crew worked extremely hard to produce something that would get everyone excited about Big D.
    Creating something a promo video for such a high profile campus event is going to attract attention both good and bad which I’m sure Flick and Emma were aware of. However, to label the video as ‘self indulgent’ and ’embarrassing’ is completely unnecessary and petty.
    The video is there to raise the profile of the event so it will raise money for the charities. Regardless of your opinion on the promo video, it’s going to be an amazing night and will hopefully generate a lot of money for the chosen charities.

@ ian curtis – as for ‘not bothering’ to turn up – fair enough but I’m pretty sure that we will manage and that SinneD will be a success without your presence. Cheers for the input though.

19. This video is really good – especially when you compare it to the standard of most promotional videos made at this University. Done with little budget, the loan of equipment and enthusiasm I think those involved deserve to be pleased with this.

They certainly don’t deserve to have their work and personal qualities debated and reviewed by anonymous critics online, for all to see.

I really grow tired of the Nouse comment threads – they ammount to the meaningless, valueless, usually-not-very-interesting thoughts of sanctimonious people who enjoy criticising those who make an effort to actually do something productive, creative or useful.

I look forward to the moaners criticism of my comment. Unfortunately, I’ll be too busy having a life and enjoying the cracking party that will be Big D to bother replying.

20. 7 May ’10 at 8:20 pm

Your Worst Nightmare

Do you really KNOW that young man, dear? One has to be so careful these days…

Mummy

21. 8 May ’10 at 1:41 pm

Tony Richards

WHOOP WHOOP go Cat Wayland!

Great video Derwent! I’m confident this will be a successful event

22. @ ian curtis – as for ‘not bothering’ to turn up – fair enough but I’m pretty sure that we will manage and that SinneD will be a success without your presence. Cheers for the input though.

it’d be amazing, i could turn up with the band!!

23. 10 May ’10 at 10:55 am

I dont want to seem like a BULLY, but I'm most interested in the AUDIO.

If the video is made to make Big D look sexy and exciting, it doesn’t. Last years WAS better; which begs the question, why release a promo video at all this year? If its not easy to do because there is no ‘narrative’, then all we are left with is a rushed piece of homework.

You should put more time into fixing the problems with last year…
    • Halls too big
    • not dark enough in main hall
    • it felt like school disco
    • not enough people allowed to watch the main acts (a mere 400 people were let in to see the start of Simian Mobile Disco)
    • Courtyard closed at 12 although there was still scheduled acts supposed to be playing
    • Drinks couldn’t be taken from venue to venue, because of YUSU / Uni squabbling over profit most likely
    • The outside area was vast, and most people seemed to spend huge chunks of the night queuing to sit on a teacup – detracting from the acts which Anna had spent bags of cash to procure.

Anna did a great job. She got some of the best acts that have ever been in York to play at what is essentially a supersized campus cringe fest. Her organisational skills are second to none and I would love to work with her organising huge events in the future.

This doesn’t take away from the cataclysmic amount of red tape which the university and YUSU put in her way. How can anyone expect to run a truly great mini-festy when some of the most stupid rules in history are being dreamed up by officers paid to HELP rather than HINDER the college events staff.

Sure, I had fun at Big D last year, three times. Once was sitting on the steps outside Langwith with my mates. Twice was listening to SMD play (after queuing for 40 mins). Three times was walking home, assessing how truly shit the night had been.

Go to Big D, but don’t go with musical expectations. Events like this harm York, because they leave the bigger acts with a bad memory of playing in a huge empty hall, and they won’t come back.

I give everything another chance, it will be fun, see you at the front.

24. “Last years WAS better; which begs the question, why release a promo video at all this year?”

My motives to make the video were not to aid the selling out of Big D. For me it wasn’t about raising awareness of the event. Nor was it for some kind of work experience to put on the CV.

No, for me the reason I helped out this year, was simply to get more people involved in activities outside of their degree. Whether the quality is good or bad, it looks terrible or brilliant, it is irrelevant. In this promo, numerous people acted for the first time, numerous people directed for the first time and numerous people helped produce for the first time.

People are quick to criticise Nouse, Vision, YSTV, Drama Barn, JCRC events, YUSU, Filmmaking Soc, URY but what the critics should realise is that the output isn’t important; it’s the taking part that really matters.

Ironically enough, usually the people who are the loudest critics are the most apathetic at University.

25. “People are quick to criticise Nouse, Vision, YSTV, Drama Barn, JCRC events, YUSU, Filmmaking Soc, URY but what the critics should realise is that the output isn’t important; it’s the taking part that really matters.”

Is absolutely spot on Mr Lester. It’s about giving students the chance to try new things and develop their skills – good work!

26. 10 May ’10 at 1:56 pm

Just so you know...

Hear hear Mr Lester

27. 10 May ’10 at 2:10 pm

Malcolm Tucker

Oliver Lester > Buddha

28. Well said Oli. Student’s get involved and volunteer to put their hearts into activities. And they really do volunteer – they don’t have to do it. The last thing they need is to be shot down with harsh, and sometimes personal, criticism. The Big D video is great and in its aim to hype up the event, it has certainly succeeded.

29. I think people lose sight of the fact that folks are doing this for fun as an aside to their degrees. They’ve put a lot of time into doing something that helps raise the profile of an event, something that most of us do not have the skills to do ourselves. Stop being so negative, produce a better video, perhaps on the theme of why being a sad bastard sat at home commenting on other peoples’ hardwork, is better than going to SinneD.

As a graduate this doesn’t really look like my kind of thing, but I am really impressed with the way it has been organised and advertised. The video seems very Skins (that’s what the kids watch isn’t it?) and I must say, is quite similar to those emotionally hardcore opening scenes that occur in Holyoakes the episode after someone gets raped or stabbed or realises they are gay.

Infact, this video is probably better. Lust is fit for a start.

30. 11 May ’10 at 2:04 pm

Mahmoud Al'Deen

I dont rli get why the video promotes the theme and not the music which is surely what most of the budget is spent on? I then question if Big D needs a theme, most festivals don’t and I’m pretty sure Big D aims for a festival vibe more than a campus events vibe. Bestival has a theme but its joke not
    tacky sleek and cringy sexy.
    It’s great people are putting the time in to do videos like this but whilst they continue to be based around such frankly embarrassing ideas they will continue to look a little like my GCSE media studies work

31. Mahmoud Al’Deen – the theme is amazing, and themes are needed for a good night so shut up.
    Oliver Lester does a Film masters so I 100% bet it is better than your ‘amazing’ GCSE project. Grow up.
    I like the school disco feel. I want to be able to go to an event where I can get attacked by swans as I lie wasted on the lawn – that’s what Derwent is about.
    I’d rather if you haters didn’t come to the event because it’s going to sell out anyway and I’d rather not have you spoiling my night.
    Any publicity is good publicity for a charity event – so essentially you are dissing charity. Charity doesn’t even want your money, it loves this video.
    We, as women, feel emancipated by this video.
    To conclude, Derwent is amazing, this video is amazing, Big D is amazing and I fancy Emma a little bit.

Love xxxx

32. Flemma have done a really good job and H&S are heroes of our time to stand up to such comments. We love you Flemma and we love Big D.

33. 11 May ’10 at 10:17 pm

the bottom line is...

..it’s not going to be very good.

34. Meh prefer last years…this years was a little bit desperate. Apart from the lighting and effort (wanted to say production value but there is none as its no budgeted), it is a good attempt.

35. The posters are lacking too. A bit 90s maybe? Derwent should probably remember it’s not promoting yet another cheese night for once.
    Tickets for £20ish for Audio Bullys and Chase & Status- you’re better off paying a tenner to the bouncer at the monthly Subdub to see a lineup five times better.
    Chase and Status have been around the block so many times… boring. Audio Bullys? Last time I saw them, they were falling asleep on stage. Let’s hope they make an effort this time… but unlikely.

Venue, sound system and general organisation? Tbh, York Uni doesn’t have the facilities for big events and health and safety regulations as well as good old doorsafe make it almost impossible to create a vibe comparable to other unis’ events. We need a bigger, richer student union with its own venue.

36. FLEMMA IS MY HERO.
    and some people on here really need to find a life. yes, i’m looking at you ‘the bottom line is..’. do something worthwhile at some point. cheers.

37. I don’t think it was too bad at all! Last year’s I think was better but as has been stated, there was a real storyline to follow so it was easier to create. I think that maybe it was a little slow paced this year so I found it slightly boring at times but thats the only real criticism that I have.

However, I still appreciate how much effort it must have taken to make and I think you should be proud of the work you all put in. I think the event will be excellent and I will be pleased to come to my final Big D at the university!

38. This mess that is attempting to get a BigD ticket would never have happened under Rankins Derwent.