Up and coming events

Up and Coming Events

Catcher, copyright, Pilot Theatre

Catcher: before Chapman shot Lennon
Award-winning writer Richard Hurford returns to Pilot Theatre Company once more, with his stunning new play that explores the fatal attraction of fame and obsession.

Catcher follows the real life story of gun man Mark Chapman in the run up to his assassination of musical legend John Lennon.

The story of Mark Chapman and John Lennon has been told many times, but no one knows what took place in that hotel room on Mark’s last night of anonymity.

Catcher invites the audience to step inside that room and for the first time approach those final hours through fresh eyes.

Catcher opens May 13 at York Theatre Royal and runs until June 5.

Spring Awakening
One Drama Barn production to watch out for this term is Spring Awakening, opening May 14.

Set in 19th century Germany and written by Frank Wedekind, Spring Awakening is the story of a group of adolescents growing up in a repressive rural society.
14-year-old Wendla struggles to cope with her unplanned pregnancy.

Young boys Hanschen and Ernst battle with their sexuality, whilst rebellious runaway Ilse returns from her bohemian adventures to offer teenage tearaway Moritz one last chance to embrace life.

Banned in England until 1963, the play is an innovative piece of drama which still has as much relevance today as it did 100 years ago.

Spring Awakening runs between 14th and 16th May.

‘Frida Kahlo self portrait’, copyright, Nickolas Muray.

Frida and Diego
If you can’t afford to jet off to the Frida Kahlo Retrospective at the Gropius-Bau Museum in Berlin, you can still get up close and personal with the artist at this week’s Drama Barn production of Frida and Diego.

Frida and Diego, a love story by Greg Cullen, centres around the meeting and romance of two of Mexico’s most influential artists, Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.

This dreamy re-telling is directed and produced by Rhiannon Ashcroft, and mixes theatre, music, art, politics, movement and tequila. It promises to be a memorable experience for cast and audience alike.

Jenny Holzer, copyright; the artist.

Jenny Holzer
The next two weeks are your last chance to catch Jenny Holzer’s latest at the Baltic Mill in Gateshead .

Best known for her use of text as art, American artist Holzer combines an investigative use of language with an innovative use of materials and modes of distribution – billboards, t-shirts, condom wrappers and paintings – to confront some of the most potent issues of our time: love, pain, peace, longing, conflict and survival.

See Jenny Holzer at the Baltic until May 16th.