Two wins out of three for weakened Netball sides

Photo: George Lowther

Photo: George Lowther

It was a Saturday afternoon of mixed fortunes for the York University Netball Club at Roses 2010, with the firsts unable to make it a hat-trick of victories after the second and thirds had done the business.

The firsts’ 51-27 reverse was certainly no disgrace, with Lancaster competing two tiers above York in the BUCS system and gunning for revenge after a shock defeat twelve months ago.
With the hosts straying offside in the shooting circle on a number of occasions, their early momentum was checked and York remained firmly in contention through the first-half courtesy of tenacious defensive work from Goal Keeper Grace Marsden and Goal Defence Sarah Smith.

However, the Lancastrian strength in attack prevailed against a depleted visiting side and they cut loose in the third and fourth quarters, creating a lopsided final scoreline.

Lancaster’s momentum going forward especially told in the final quarter, when they managed a ten-point haul in the time it took York to secure four goals.

Earlier, the seconds built on a lightning-fast opening quarter to secure a 44-22 win and collect two points. Cleopatra Jones stood out in defence early on, making some remarkable interceptions, before York’s tactical astuteness and impressive movement shone through, allowing them to outmanoeuvre and outperform Lancaster, who were soundly beaten.

The thirds recovered from a sluggish start in the day’s opening contest to win 42-34 with a stylish attacking display. Lisa Griffiths and Olivia Coward, at Goal Attack and Goal Shooter respectively, produced near-flawless performances to ensure York snatched the single point on offer, to the delight of Captain Amelia Prestage.

“Overall it was a brilliant end to a brilliant season and all the teams performed valiantly,” Prestage said.

Sophia Sahin, the seconds captain, added: “I’m awesomely proud of the team, they performed well throughout.”

On Sunday, the York fourth team lost 11-24, while the college select, Halfax, were defeated 37-22.