Second student suicide this academic year

A third-year student, Thomas Robinson, was found hanged at his home in York on April 14.

He is the second York student to have taken his own life this academic year.

Robinson was a final year student, who withdrew from his course of Maths and Computer Science in March of Spring Term this year.

He had continued to live in his house in York since then, and was found dead at home over the Easter holidays, on April 14.

A coroner’s inquest into his death has since concluded a verdict of suicide.

University Press Officer, David Garner, stated that the University are “greatly saddened” by his death.

He echoed the words of the Computer Science Department, in saying that Robinson “will be very much missed”.

Garner continued to say that the University’s thoughts are “with his family at this extremely distressing time”, and that they are “offering support to his friends here”.

In an email sent by Dr Steve King of the Computer Science Department, it was revealed that Robinson’s funeral will be “restricted to family members and close friends.”

The department also advised students needing to talk to someone regarding the issue to contact their supervisors, or alternatively to email the Open Door Team at [email protected].

Robinson’s death is the second student suicide this year, following the death of Chemistry student Pierre Le Moignan.

Le Moignan was reported missing on November 21, and an inquest into his death on April 17 confirmed that he had taken his own life.