Political Edge

Since the days of Margret Thatcher, the Tory party have been known as the ‘nasty party’ in British politics, and the memory of three million unemployed is still fresh in the minds of many people.

On May 7 however, there is a distinct possibility that we will see a Conservative government with David Cameron as Prime Minister. But what exactly would a Tory Britain look like?

Many people are extremely concerned with what a Tory government could bring. A pledge to cut public services from Cameron has left many questioning whether there will be a return to mass unemployment and painful tax rises.

Cameron in the four years since his election as leader has attempted to change the image of the Tory Party. At 43, Cameron would be an unusually young Prime Minister, and his altar ego ‘Dave’ has proved popular with some younger voters.

In all, Cameron can be said to be a marked improvement on the Dracula-esque Michael Howard.

Underneath the shiny polished exterior of Cameron’s forehead though, has anything about the Tories really changed? Cameron would certainly like us to believe that something has changed, and it appears that something has indeed changed. Cameron seems more than happy to show motion and his heartfelt anecdotes about the National Health Service (NHS) almost persuade me to believe that he wouldn’t hack the NHS budget to pieces.

Cameron can be said to be an improvement on the Dracula-esque Michael Howard

But is the perception that the Tories are the nasty party really fair?

Ultimately, the Labour party probably deserves the same label. In the late 70s, during the winter of discontent, a Labour government under James Callaghan couldn’t afford to bury the dead.
Perhaps even the currently infallible Lib Dems could be labelled as ‘nasty’, particularly if some of their radical policies became law. Their current immigration policy is a prime example of this, and has seen them come under intense scrutiny from all quarters.

It is likely that whoever wins the next general election will also be labelled ‘the nasty party’ regardless of what their position is on the political spectrum. The next parliament will probably see higher taxes or cuts in public spending; ultimately the deficit spells doom for whichever political party inherits it.

1. I think that not affording to bury the dead is pale in comparison with the number of winter deaths caused by Margaret Thatcher’s welfare cuts, and it seems extremely hypocritical to dismiss tax rises while widely criticising banker’s salaries.

Apart from that good article it’s important that people dislike David Cameron for his politics rather than just his face.