Ones to Watch

Designer: Ruthie Orlin
Photographer: Trevor Brady
Trend: The Summer Shoe
Event: Festivals

DESIGNER: RUTHIE ORLIN

Jewellery remains delicate and intricate for summer, and Orlin’s new collection takes classic motifs such as skulls and scrabble letters, and puts a feminine twist on them, whilst using simple gold and silver. Orlin has recently made the move from styling and fashion design into her own company, with great success – her line is now available on ASOS and polyvore.com (earrings pictured are £25). The main strength of her pieces, most of which are nine carat gold-plated, rests in their longevity: they’ll still be relevant and on trend for seasons to come. You can also find Ruthi at the Hampstead Antique and Craft emporium every day except Mondays, with prices starting at £12.

PHOTOGRAPHER: TREVOR BRADY

Recently, it has been murmured in fashion circles that the world of the fashion photographers isn’t what it used to be. With the death of Irving Penn and the occasional weak ad campaign, it seemed that the iconic imagery which can create fashion history could potentially be in jeopardy. Trevor Brady aims to change that perception – his recent fashion shoot for upcoming London magazine Random was described by the editor as “something else, something exciting.” According to his website, he plans to create imagery that is “progressive and on brand”. It’s only a matter of time before the editorial heavyweights snap him up.

TREND: THE SUMMER SHOE

It doesn’t matter if you’re going abroad or staying in the UK in the summer months, the arrival of everyone’s favourite season always demands at least one update to your wardrobe: the summer shoe. As well as the regulation flip-flop, disregard spindly heels for dynamic wedges. Prada have recently created a fusion of both the espadrille and cork heel but sticking with bright colours, such as these Korkeaze beauties, is the way forward. Available at korkease.com, they manage to stand comparison to the leading designers and won’t be too hard on the bank balance either. Priced at £100, wear them with putty coloured nail varnish to ensure a polished finish.

EVENT: FESTIVALS

Forget Reading and Leeds, this summer’s festivals are places for the fashion pack to gather and show us the key trends for summer. The most recent was Coachella 2010, hosted in the California desert last week which saw the likes of Agyness Deyn, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Kate Bosworth all present their take on festival chic. It remained rock’n’roll, with the comeback of denim and sturdy shoes, but was speckled with neon and bright prints. Also, we can’t forget the performers themselves – including Florence and the Machine, who has recently made appearances in both Vogue and Grazia. Coming up next – Lacoste Pool Party, anyone?