Lancaster wrap up victory after Sunday domination

Lancaster won the American Football 22-6 for four crucial points. Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

With Roses having been effectively won the day before, York teams turned out knowing that only pride was at stake and enjoyed a mixed set of results on Roses’ final day.

York lost both the men’s basketball 65-49 and the women’s 49-34, being unable to recover from strong starts by the home team in each match. Captain Dane Vishnubala called the men’s result “a disappointing end to what has been a great season.”

Elsewhere in the sports centre, York women’s volleyball firsts squandered a two set lead in a late morning thriller that all but sealed the overall results.

York enjoyed better success on the tennis courts, where they won both the men’s and women’s firsts events, and the Ballroom dancing, where they were victorious in every event except the beginner’s Latin.

Sam Asfahani’s York Centurions had clearly improved vastly from last year, holding Lancaster 6-6 at half time in the American football.

Unfortunately their opponents won the tactical battle in the second to finally take the match 22-6.

Halifax college continued their impressive year with a 4-1 victory over Fylde college in the inaugural college football winners exhibition match. Lancaster won the netball equivalent 37-27,
with Halifax again representing

Lancaster took all the points in the Karate, despite strong showings from York in the Kata, and also won the Canoe Slalom and Climbing events.

Finally, in the day’s other exhibition matches, Lancaster were the winners in both the rounders and the clay-pigeon shooting.