Lancaster turn up the pressure

Photo: George Lowther

Photo: George Lowther

Though York’s chance to make Roses history, by retaining the Carter James Trophy for the Fourth consecutive year, officially ended on the contest’s final day, it was on Saturday that it became evident that defeat was inevitable.

Although some performances permeated the York malaise, Lancaster pressed their hard fought Friday advantage to the point of victory. Among the bright moments were a steely victory for the mixed volleyball team who came from two sets down to win in remarkable style. The men’s team, pictured, wanted no such drama, and won their match in straight sets.

Elsewhere the Rugby 7’s asserted their dominance as the three men’s side recorded consecutive victories and the women earned a late draw. The men’s whitewash could not cover the fact that York were becoming increasingly beleaguered elsewhere with losses, unexpectedly, in both the men’s and women’s fencing, traditionally two of their strongest events.

This gloom was further exacerbated by the battering that York’s archers took from an impressive Lancaster side, while the Red Rose also took the points in the water polo and table tennis matches.

However, York made gains in the snooker, another forte, and the racquet sports. The men’s badminton side won 6-3, while the women were even better, winning 8-1.

The men’s squash firsts claimed a 5-0 whitewash, while the mixed tennis team won 4-2, before the pouring rain curtailed the on-court programme.

Over in Bolton, York’s recent domination in the sailing continued, winning every race en route to a rountine victory.