Lancaster take control in the pool

Both of York’s swimming teams were comfortably beaten on Roses weekend, yet the men’s and women’s teams can both take heart that they performed admirably against a much stronger force

Photo: George Lowther

Photo: George Lowther

Both of York’s swimming teams were comfortably beaten on Roses weekend, yet the men’s and women’s teams can both take heart that they performed admirably against a much stronger force.

Lancaster were clearly the stronger side going into the weekend, with their club President Michael Boyd saying they expected a whitewash, even taking the gamble of missing the pre-Roses boot camp.

In the Women’s competition, Lancaster dominated the early proceedings, racing out to a 21-9 lead after notching a 1-2 in the 200m Freestyle, 100m Individual Medley and 50m Butterfly. York men’s side fared a lot better, with Lancaster’s lead just two points. Boyd’s brash prediction prior to the event would fail to come true with York’s own Raymond Wade producing a stunning performance to land top spot in 50m butterfly.

A stoppage following an unfortunate incident, which required an ambulance, allowed Lancaster to regroup and re-establish their dominance in the next batch of races.

While both York teams offered some resistance in the 50m backstroke and breaststroke, the tie really shifted Lancaster’s way with a whitewash in the 50m freestyle and 200m free relay – the Lancaster women’s team crushing York by a margin of almost 25 minutes in their race.

The event began to slip further away from York in the latter stages, with York’s women unlucky not to notch a first place in any of the twelve events. While Lancaster dominance eventually prevailed in the men’s competition, York were able to secure another win through Michael Tansini in the 100m backstroke.