Firsts prevail in indoor football

Two goals from Conor Brennan helped the men’s firsts Indoor Football side secure York’s first points of the day with a 4-2 victory in a hotly contested clash

Lancaster on the offensive in their 5-1 men’s thirds triumph. Photo: Peter Iveson

Two goals from Conor Brennan helped the men’s firsts Indoor Football side secure York’s first points of the day with a 4-2 victory in a hotly contested clash.

Having stepped straight off the bus and on to the pitch, York began sluggishly and were indebted to goalkeeper David Ambrozejcyzk for keeping it goalless with a string of fine saves.

Slightly against the run of play York took the lead, however, with Ash Daly converting a penalty awarded for a foul on Alex Tringham.

This seemed to galvanize the away side and Brennan, the Halifax striker, quickly doubled their advantage, briefly silencing the home supporters on the packed viewing gallery.

York failed to kill the game off, though and, roared on by the vociferous support, the home side struck twice in quick succession, levelling the scores with little more than five minutes remaining.

However, the effervescent Brennan was not to be denied and his second goal and an effort from Captain Jack Crane with the last kick of the match saw York claim a win that had at one stage looked to be slipping through their grasp.

There was even time for a cameo appearance from Udy Onwudike whose physical presence held the ball up commandingly in the closing stages.

Crane described the performance as ‘workmanlike’ and bemoaned his side’s complacency but under the circumstances must have been delighted with the result, which turned out to be York’s only bright point.

The earlier fixtures were a struggle, with York severely lacking in numbers and the same makeshift side was somewhat farcically forced to compete in both the men’s seconds and thirds fixtures.

Unsurprisingly Lancaster ran out easy winners in both matches by score lines of 6-1 and 5-1 respectively.

In the women’s matches, the seconds, despite the best efforts of York Sport President Emily Scott, were also well beaten 3-0, but the firsts can count themselves unlucky not to have earned at least a draw.

Having conceded two early goals, they dominated the rest of the encounter, piling the pressure on the Lancastrians. Katie Ballantyne managed to score from the penalty spot but the equalizer would not come, condemning them to a 2-1 defeat.