Easy win for lacrosse

The men’s team concluded a fine season with an 18-6 win on Sunday. Photo: Sam Newsome

Although not as comfortable as some pre-match predictions, York’s men’s lacrosse team encountered few problems in Sunday afternoon’s 18-6 romp.

Krishna Balan weighed in with a five-goal haul and assisted a couple more, while Rob Coslett notched four. Luke Shilling, Phil Harrold (2), Paul Crowley Jr. (3) and James Menon (3) were also on the scoresheet as the White Rose ran amok against a porous Lancaster defence.

Lancaster, who had been destroyed 28-0 in the corresponding fixture last year, had overcome some of their attacking meekness and beat Benedict Robinson in the York goal on half-a-dozen occasions, but they never looked like picking up the four points on offer.

“It was not our best performance by a long way, but a good win nonetheless,” said Robinson, the Captain. “It’s a good end to a great season.”

On Saturday, the mixed team kick-started York’s weekend by outclassing their Red Rose opponents 17-8, with the prolific duo of Balan and Cosslett scoring six and five goals respectively.

In the women’s exhibition match, York recorded an easy 18-4 win.

1. Well dont to the club and see you at presidents. By the way the women’s team destroyed lancaster something like more than 10-3 (I lost count and was distracted by my bottle of champagne) they definately didn’t lose though!

2. 4 May ’10 at 11:41 pm

Lacrosse Supporter

Congratulations to the men’s team…just a point the women’s team beat the Lancaster side very convincingly!!

3. 4 May ’10 at 11:55 pm

Forcedtoref...

Seeing as I’m holding the women’s scorecard it would be rude if I didn’t point out the final score: York 18 Lancaster 3.

4. 5 May ’10 at 3:00 am

Joe Brayshaw

I wish I could have been there, I would have melted – Luke Shilling is so hunky and good at LAX.