Comebacks the theme in hockey feast

Photo: Sam Newsome

Photo: Sam Newsome

As the red of Lancaster became more prominent on the Roses scoreboard, York’s hockey players went some way to emboldening their slowly fading tournament chances, recording an 8-5 overall win in sometimes torrid conditions.

The day’s performances displayed just how much the club has flourished under the stewardship of Presidents Rob Newton and Sophie Hossack over the last twelve months. The Men’s thirds started well, taking a 3-1 lead after a period of expansive hockey but were to capitulate to a 4-3 defeat.

There were no such shortages in the reservoir of character held by the women’s seconds as they won 3-2. Emily Scott played with the abandon of a sportswoman desperate to claim a personal victory in a weekend that seemed to be leading inexorably to defeat.

The excitement of the first games was not matched in the men’s seconds. It took one brilliant short corner move to set up Tom Harcourt to score the winner.

The women’s firsts found themselves 3-1 up, through two goals from Rachel Faustino and another from Emily Lucas, only to see Lancaster earn themselves a 3-3 draw, following a nasty injury to Charlie Bartlett.

Hossack commented: “It’s our best performance against Lancaster in years; indoor and outdoor.”

Comebacks seemed the order of the day as Andy McIlwraith’s men’s firsts drew 2-2 having been 2-0 down. After Lancaster struck twice, James Branton finished neatly to give the White Rose hope before Nick Latcham scored to level matters.

McIlwraith was frustrated at not clinching all the points but nevertheless was pleased with his side’s efforts: “I do feel slightly aggrieved, but am extremely proud of the team… it has been a pleasure to captain the lads.”